Re: [aprsisce] OSM rendering on smartphones

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2012
      Maybe I won't have to port to Android after all! I gather you caught
      that link from the OSM mention for APRSdroid in the YAAC group?

      Checked it out earlier this morning and the map_nik tiles still look
      better IMHO, not to mention that it seems you still have to find a
      suitable extract with the caveat "As both processing power, memory and
      storage are limited on many Android devices it is recommended that the
      smallest geographic area be converted for use on the mobile device. "

      And I found no mention that you can convert more than one extract as the
      output is but a single named file, so you can pick your favorite state,
      province, or country or roll your own from a geofabrik (sp?) extract.

      He's also using 0.2.4 maps which probably makes sense because of a
      statement on the cgeo.org faq that says "c:geo supports maps version
      0.3.0 and 0.2.4. On some devices 0.3.0 maps can be slow." And since
      Android devices typically start at 1GHz processors, the lowly 400-600MHz
      devices need not apply, IMHO.