OT Balloon Launch

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 29 1:13 PM

      Live video of a High Altitude Balloon launch http://www.csbf.nasa.gov/sweden/sweden.htm

      Alert also sent via ANSRVR BALLOON group

      Torbay Freecycle Moderator

    • Krzysztof SQ5NWI
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 30 12:28 AM
        Lynn,

        my friend just started telemetry on his WX/Digi/I-Gate station and found
        that there is an issue with APRSIS32 presentation of telemetry data.
        To illustrate the problem I attach screen form application window and to
        compare here is the link to corresponding time frame from aprs.fi

        http://aprs.fi/telemetry/?call=SR5NRF&date_start=2012-07-29+07%3A20%3A07&dat
        e_end=2012-07-30+07%3A20%3A07

        If something needs to be more clarified, please ask.
        --
        Regards,

        Krzysztof
        SQ5NWI
      • Krzysztof SQ5NWI
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 30 1:42 AM
        • 1 Attachment
        • 113 KB
        Here in attachment you have also SR5NRF telemetry detailed configuration
        which may be helpful.
        The problem observed on latest development release.
        --
        Regards,

        Krzysztof
        SQ5NWI

        Message 4 of 9 , Jul 30 6:09 AM
          On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Krzysztof SQ5NWI <sq5nwi@...> wrote:

          > my friend just started telemetry on his WX/Digi/I-Gate station and found
          > that there is an issue with APRSIS32 presentation of telemetry data.
          > To illustrate the problem I attach screen form application window and to
          > compare here is the link to corresponding time frame from aprs.fi
          >
          > http://aprs.fi/telemetry/?call=SR5NRF&date_start=2012-07-29+07%3A20%3A07&dat
          > e_end=2012-07-30+07%3A20%3A07
          >
          > If something needs to be more clarified, please ask.

          It would have been easier if you included the raw data as below, as
          well as listed what the issue was. Here's the data that corresponds to
          the screen shot from APRSISCE/32.

          :SR5NRF :PARM.U1,,,I2,Temp
          :SR5NRF :UNIT.Volt,,,mA,C
          :SR5NRF :EQNS.0,0.102,0,0,0.1,0,0,9.76,0,0,5.88,0,0,0.5,-64
          T#098,132,000,000,016,179,00000000
          T#097,132,000,000,016,179,00000000

          Here's the data as displayed by APRSISCE/32.

          Seq: 97
          U1 13.464 Volt
          ,:0.0 ,
          I2: 0.00 mA
          Temp: 94.08 C
          Chan 5:25.5
          Bit1:off Bit2: off
          Bit3:off Bit4: off
          Bit5:off Bit6: off
          Bit7:off Bit8: off

          The labels all look good, and the calculations are spot on.

          Message 5 of 9 , Jul 30 6:27 AM
            Let me see what's going on here, also starting from the most recent raw packet and telemetry definnitions:

            2012-07-30 13:12:46 UTC: SR5NRF>APNW01,TCPIP*,qAS,SR5NRF-1::SR5NRF   :PARM.U1,,,I2,Temp
            2012-07-30 13:12:46 UTC: SR5NRF>APNW01,TCPIP*,qAS,SR5NRF-1::SR5NRF   :UNIT.Volt,,,mA,C
            2012-07-30 13:12:46 UTC: SR5NRF>APNW01,TCPIP*,qAS,SR5NRF-1::SR5NRF   :EQNS.0,0.102,0,0,0.1,0,0,9.76,0,0,5.88,0,0,0.5,-64
            2012-07-30 13:12:51 UTC: SR5NRF>APNW01,TCPIP*,qAS,SR5NRF-1:T#159,132,000,000,016,181,00000000

            Sequence #159:
            Chan Label Units Equation  Raw   Calculated
             1    U1   Volt  0.102v+0  132   13.464
             2               0.1v+0    000   0.00
             3               9.76v+0   000   0.00
             4    I2    mA   5.88v+0   016   94.08
             5   Temp   C    0.5v-64   181   26.5

            http://aprs.fi/telemetry/?call=SR5NRF shows (Nice of Hessu to suppress undefined values, but it would also be nice to see the sequence number being presented):

            U1: 13.464 Volt (TLM: 132 EQN: 0,0.102,0)
            I2: 94.080 mA (TLM: 16 EQN: 0,5.88,0)
            Temp: 26.500 C (TLM: 181 EQN: 0,0.5,-64)

            APRSISCE/32 shows this:

            It appears that my label and units parsers have an issue with ,,, and it's pulling one of the commas as the label and units of the 2nd channel causing labels and units to be offset by 1.  The calculations are correct, but the labeling is off by one.

            I'll see what I can do to have this fixed in the next release. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, but it would have been faster if you had just said what you thought was wrong, not just that "they're different".

            Message 6 of 9 , Jul 30 6:46 AM
              Thank you James for much more precise input data.

              Yes, Lynn, now I see that it was sent by me too hurry and it was better to
              find more time this morning or later to describe precisely what is wrong
              than only to mark that questions for further explanations are welcome. ;-)
              SQ5MRF who is owner of SR5NRF initially turned his and my attention to
              readability of APRSISCE/32 telemetry details window.
              Trying to correlate values it came to be clear that they don't match to
              labels.

              Thank you for your analysis effort.
              --
              Regards,

              Krzysztof
              SQ5NWI

              2012-07-30 13:12:46 UTC: SR5NRF>APNW01,TCPIP*,qAS,SR5NRF-1::SR5NRF
              :PARM.U1,,,I2,Temp
              2012-07-30 13:12:46 UTC: SR5NRF>APNW01,TCPIP*,qAS,SR5NRF-1::SR5NRF
              :UNIT.Volt,,,mA,C
              2012-07-30 13:12:46 UTC: SR5NRF>APNW01,TCPIP*,qAS,SR5NRF-1::SR5NRF
              :EQNS.0,0.102,0,0,0.1,0,0,9.76,0,0,5.88,0,0,0.5,-64

              Message 7 of 9 , Jul 30 6:57 AM
                I have it fixed in my local version.  The fix will be in the next development release, whenever I have a chance to button up some partially completed stuff.

                Also, APRSISCE/32 displays the same number of decimal digits as were included in the EQNS definition for each value.  So, for the EQNS:

                SR5NRF>APNW01,TCPIP*,qAS,SR5NRF-1::SR5NRF   :EQNS.0,0.102,0,0,0.1,0,0,9.76,0,0,5.88,0,0,0.5,-64

                Channel 1 will have 3 decimals (0.102), channel 2 will have 1 (0.1), channel 3 will have 2 (9.76), channel 4 will have 2 (5.88), and channel 5 will have 1 (0.5).  It appears that aprs.fi uses 3 decimals for each parameter, so you'll still see a difference in our presentation, although the numbers should match the units and labels in the next release.

                Message 8 of 9 , Jul 31 1:08 AM

                  Thanks Lynn for rapid fix. :-).

                  --

                  Regards,

                  Krzysztof

                  SQ5NWI

                  Message 9 of 9 , Jul 31 2:46 AM
                    Lynn,

                    let's consider a bit more how to present telemetry values.

                    You can agree or not, but for me it is not the best solution to correlate
                    channel number of decimals with multiplier number of decimals and I like
                    Hessu approach, but I would set decimals constantly to 2 as 3 seems too much
                    at least to me.
                    For me it is difficult to imagine measurements requiring such accuracy.
                    Anyway, using multiplier base we can also limit too much the length of the
                    value decimal part which in some cases can be useful to have two digits.

                    Here in our example for SR5NRF station we have 3 decimals for channel 1
                    because (following SQ5MRF statement) it is necessary to minimize sent value
                    inaccuracy.
                    For example if channel 1 TLM value is 132 and EQN is 0,102 we have value
                    13,464 and for shorter multiplier like 0,1 we would have 13,2, so de
                    difference can be meaningful I believe so he decided to use this 3 digits
                    multiplier.

                    All this is rather discussion about what I like more and what I like less,
                    so I'm not going to force my approach.
                    Please, treat this as subjective point of view and use it if worth in your
                    opinion.
                    --
                    Regards,

                    Krzysztof