Re: [aprsisce] Different colored boxes/circles?

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012
      On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      <kj4erj@...> wrote:
      > On 7/26/2012 11:27 AM, James Ewen wrote:
      >> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Rick <kd4dra@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> packet scroller on side
      >> Easy one:
      >>
      >> http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scroller
      >
      > Especially since I just added "A box is drawn around the symbol if the
      > packet was received direct (no paths used) via RF." just before your
      > posting! <grin>

      And now there's more information about the Map Display in the wiki.

      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/map-display

      It could use more cleanup, and probably more or better examples of the
      different boxes.

      One thing I did notice while putting this together is that you use the
      term "Message" when describing the various Mic-E status notifications.

      Mic-E status bits simply indicate a status and do not convey any
      message. They convey information, but not a message.

      We just went through something similar when people were complaining
      about being notified that they have messages waiting, but when they go
      look for them, the messages are "internally created" Mic-E alerts.

      On the http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:screen-elements page I use the
      term Message Notifier to describe the box where you get notifications
      of messages, alerts, etc. Perhaps we should rename that box, to make
      it a more generic term. Just simply notifications would work, since
      you get notified about incoming messages, software updates, and Mic-E
      alerts in that box.

      One of the big problems is that there's a lot of use of generic terms
      to describe different things in the APRS world. You see that quite
      often when a newbie comes along and makes a comment such as:

      "I can't see my APRS messages on aprs.fi."

      We'll automatically go looking to actual APRS message packets being
      sent from his station to another recipient station, but later find out
      that he was actually just talking about position packets.

      There are huge differences between messages, software updates, and
      Mic-E alerts, and we should really ensure that we differentiate
      between them.

      Truly the term Mic-E alerts or status is really a misnomer. True, the
      status bits were first defined in the Mic-E data structure, but they
      really status notifications embedded within the Mic-E packet, and also
      being defined outside of the Mic-E structure in ways such as:

      http://aprs.org/aprs12/EmergencyCode.txt

      It's a lot of work to try and keep everything straight and well
      defined when people keep mis-using the terms, or creating totally
      different "products", but using extremely similar terms to describe
      them.