Re: [Balloon_Sked] N1VG-11 APRS Utilization

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2010
      On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Bill Boyd <sportav8r@...> wrote:

      Popped this back to the list as I can't comment authoritatively on US

      > I realize you are in Canada, but doesn't the US have onerous altitude
      > restrictions on a remotely piloted aerial vehicle that would prohibit the
      > digipeater ops you are proposing at 2000 AGL without a waiver that
      > only universities and the DoD could ever hope to get?

      Well, as you point out, I live in a country where we have personal
      freedom, and no draconian government trying to control my every
      action! I don't know about the US regulations, but I'm pretty sure
      that you can fly radio controlled model aircraft. I have a friend that
      is big into RC aircraft, and he goes to the US to take part in large

      Now if you are talking about UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles), which run
      under autonomous control, I have heard that there are restrictions on
      those in the USA. We are not talking about a UAV, but rather a simple
      remote controlled aircraft carrying a lightweight digipeater.

      > I researched this once a few years ago when toying with the idea of a
      > balloon-dropped glider that would auto-pilot via GPS back as close as
      > possible to the launch site for payload recovery.  The upshot was:
      > glider on its own - no restrictions. Glider with any on board or remote
      > homing guidance - illegal over something like 600 feet AGL.  I was
      > rather disgusted.

      We're playing with the same idea here... haven't gone very far with
      it, but we should be able to play without much issue.

      Now you've made me go look... I'll have to make some inquiries to find
      out if out our recreational application skirts the regulations.

      "Model aircraft" means an aircraft, the total weight of which does not
      exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched
      into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to
      carry persons or other living creatures. Although some micro unmanned
      air vehicles may weigh less than 35 kg, they are operated by research
      institutions and other organizations for non-recreational purposes.

      Our model aircraft would obviously be less than 35 kg, and
      recreational, not commercial or research based.

      If we don't skirt the regulations, what is left isn't all that bad.

      From the SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate) page, which
      covers such things as hot air balloons, parachute jumps, and airshows,
      along with UAV flight operations, the hoops to jump through aren't
      very onerous. A 2 kg UAV is not going to present any more hazard to
      air navigation than a cube of styrofoam.

      P.S. Once we get our UAVs working and reliable, we'll be ready to send
      them across the border to the south and our invasion will begin!