Mic-E Emergency from APRS capable hand helds

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 24, 2012

      How easy is it to send a Mic-E emergency alert from the various APRS capable hand helds?

      I ask because I have suggested to Lynn that an easy way to send a Mic-E emergency message should be included in APRSIS. Easy but not too easy to stop accidental transmissions.

      I have suggested 2 keys pressed at once. Something you can do with 1 hand.

      Some attempt a commonality with hand helds was thought to be a good idea

      Torbay Freecycle Moderator

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24, 2012
        On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Steve Daniels
        <steve@...> wrote:

        > How easy is it to send a Mic-E emergency alert from the various APRS
        > capable hand helds?

        On any of the Kenwood units, both HT and mobile, you need to go into
        the menu and navigate to the appropriate menu entry, then change the
        Mic-E status to Emergency!

        There's no "Help I've fallen and I can't get up!" button on the radios.

        What are the chances that you end up in an emergency situation where
        you just happen to be incapacitated, but still within arms reach of a
        keyboard attached to a computer running APRSISCE/32 as your only means
        of reaching out to the world?

        I'm good with digging through the menus to change to an Emergency! status.

        There are many more everyday tasks that could do with keyboard shortcuts.

      • Kim
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 24, 2012
          I like the thought of being able to make changes to the MicE Status more easily than is currently the case. I don't see it as being the situation that James suggests, as I agree with his observation, but being able to more easily choose the Off Duty, En Route, In Service, Returning, Committed, Special, Priority, and finally Emergency.

          This APRS feature is Sooo under utilised, or more so missused, that being able to easily access and use in a more simple and functional manner should encourage appropriate use, and educate we users on what is the most appropriate setting to have...

          73 Kim

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 24, 2012
            What do you propose that's easier than Configure / Beacon / Mic-E
            Notification? That's not much more than it takes to navigate to the
            proper menu and make a selection on an APRS radio, IMHO.

            Or did you think you needed to put the !STATUS! manually in the beacon
            comment text?

            On 7/24/2012 6:17 PM, Kim wrote:
            > I like the thought of being able to make changes to the MicE Status more easily than is currently the case. I don't see it as being the situation that James suggests, as I agree with his observation, but being able to more easily choose the Off Duty, En Route, In Service, Returning, Committed, Special, Priority, and finally Emergency.
            >
            > This APRS feature is Sooo under utilised, or more so missused, that being able to easily access and use in a more simple and functional manner should encourage appropriate use, and educate we users on what is the most appropriate setting to have...
            >
            > 73 Kim
            >
            > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
            >> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Steve Daniels
            >> <steve@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> How easy is it to send a Mic-E emergency alert from the various APRS
            >>> capable hand helds?
            >> On any of the Kenwood units, both HT and mobile, you need to go into
            >> the menu and navigate to the appropriate menu entry, then change the
            >> Mic-E status to Emergency!
            >>
            >> There's no "Help I've fallen and I can't get up!" button on the radios.
            >>
            >> What are the chances that you end up in an emergency situation where
            >> you just happen to be incapacitated, but still within arms reach of a
            >> keyboard attached to a computer running APRSISCE/32 as your only means
            >> of reaching out to the world?
            >>
            >> I'm good with digging through the menus to change to an Emergency! status.
            >>
            >> There are many more everyday tasks that could do with keyboard shortcuts.
            >>
            >> --
            >> James
            >> VE6SRV

          • Kim
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 24, 2012
              I think I'll just hop back in my box ;-)....

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 24, 2012

                Whilst I agree with James the chances of needing to be able to activate, Mic-E Emergency with one hand are small, I equally hope the chances of needing it at all are small.

                And yes Kim more easy access to the Mic-E alerts would be good, along with a do you really want to do this message, before it goes out.

                One of the things discussed was that, on the emergency alerts. Easy to activate with 2 simoltaneous key presses, plus a do you really want this to happen message, easily saying yes to that with a key press.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 24, 2012

                  That’s fine Lynn on most Mic-E alerts, I was thinking specifically on Emergency, where possibly and hopefully not, you are in a situation where simple key presses are required.

                  I would hope you are seen, or even can dial the emergency services, but we have the Mic-E emergency alert function, It should be easy to use.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 24, 2012

                    Don’t do that Kim. I think most of the people on the list like discussion on where APRSIS and APRS in general should go, for the casual user and the advanced user.

                    Having disagreements on where it should go, or how APRSIS should do that is part of defining a system that works.

                    We don’t all agree but we do work something out, and out of all the APRS lists I am on this on is the most helpful and tolerant.

                    James Ewen <ve6srv@> wrote:

                    > >> On any of the Kenwood units, both HT and mobile, you need to go
                    into
                    > >> the menu and navigate to the appropriate menu entry, then change
                    the
                    > >> Mic-E status to Emergency!
                    > >>
                    > >> There's no "Help I've fallen and I can't get up!"
                    button on the radios.

                    > >> What are the chances that you end up in an emergency situation
                    where
                    > >> you just happen to be incapacitated, but still within arms reach
                    of a
                    > >> keyboard attached to a computer running APRSISCE/32 as your only
                    means
                    > >> of reaching out to the world?
                    > >>
                    > >> I'm good with digging through the menus to change to an
                    Emergency! status.

                    > >> There are many more everyday tasks that could do with keyboard
                    shortcuts.

                    > >> --
                    > >> James
                    > >> VE6SRV

                  • Kim
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 24, 2012
                      I'm always good to to add a thought or two, I had simply forgotten the Menu Access items that Lynn pointed out and my comments were actually answered with those features..

                      Yes I find this group VERY active, heartening and the discussions often stretch my mind to the limit, with a many comments from those who understand the system far better than I. I will always pop in if I have a contribution...

                      Having said that, the comments regarding the Use of Mic E messages being under utilised, certainly holds...

                      Kim..

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 24, 2012
                        On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Kim <vk2asy@...> wrote:

                        > This APRS feature is Sooo under utilised, or more so missused, that
                        > being able to easily access and use in a more simple and functional
                        > manner should encourage appropriate use, and educate we users
                        > on what is the most appropriate setting to have...

                        Is it underutilized because users can't easily set the option, or is
                        it underutilized because the setting is not a visible attribute?

                        VE7PGK is driving around Cranbrook with D7 currently. I have to select
                        the station and then click on the callsign in the menu to get a pop up
                        open that then tells me that he's using Custom-6 as his Mic-E status.

                        It's hard enough to get VE6PY-2 to change from using /K to /k as a
                        symbol which shows up 100% of the time on all maps, imagine trying to
                        get him to change a setting that he'll never see unless he digs into
                        the info pages.

                        I'm not saying that the status should be a visible item, or have any
                        ideas on how it might be displayed. Maybe you could filter out all
                        stations except those with a specific Mic-E status. That way during an
                        event or activation you could see all stations that are enroute to a
                        location, or committed... it would have been good to have an available
                        status in the Mic-E specification.

                        The best applications and implementations come from a place where
                        there's lots of discussion and sharing of ideas. If the subject being
                        discussed is of interest to me, I will rarely sit by and just listen.
                        I might present an argument [1] against the idea, or I may present
                        complimentary ideas, or a slightly different slant on the concept.

                        This type of discussion, in my opinion, helps develop the concept or
                        idea more fully than if the idea were floated out there half baked,
                        and implemented as presented.

                        I have no issue with having to dig into a menu to change my Mic-E
                        status because I rarely change my Mic-E status. If however the Mic-E
                        status were to become more "visible" or prevalent, then perhaps I
                        would lean the other way, wanting a faster method of changing my
                        status. I can't see that happening in my current concept of what I
                        would use these status indicators for though...

                        Indeed, we need to remember that everyone has differing opinions, and
                        concepts, and by throwing them out there on the table, you may see
                        them implemented in the future.

                        [1] Argument (noun): In philosophy and logic, an argument is an
                        attempt to persuade someone of something, by giving reasons or
                        evidence for accepting a particular conclusion. The general structure
                        of an argument in a natural language is that of premises (typically in
                        the form of propositions, statements or sentences) in support of a
                        claim: the conclusion.

                        "Argument", Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy." "In everyday life,
                        we often use the word "argument" to mean a verbal dispute or
                        disagreement. This is not the way this word is usually used in
                        philosophy. However, the two uses are related. Normally, when two
                        people verbally disagree with each other, each person attempts to
                        convince the other that his or her viewpoint is the right one. Unless
                        he or she merely results to name calling or threats, he or she
                        typically presents an argument for his or her position, in the sense
                        described above. In philosophy, "arguments" are those statements a
                        person makes in the attempt to convince someone of something, or
                        present reasons for accepting a given conclusion."