Running from a Flash Drive

  • Adam Mahnke
    Message 1 of 76 , Jul 18, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 12 KB
    Hey Lynn,

    I've had something happen this morning that I've never had issues with before.

    I run my IS only KC2ANT-10 instance from work, from a flash drive.  Now I normally change computers from day to day depending on what desk I'm sitting at, and that computer gives my flash drive a different drive letter depending on the desk. I've never before had an issue with this, until this morning.

    Today I'm getting the attached screen shot. The only way I can make this go away is by going to the Task Manager and ending the process.

    I've disabled the latest version, and gone back through the last two development versions and get the same error.

    I've loaded the general release version, and that seems to be working fine.

    Has something changed where it's looking for a specified drive letter now, instead of just working from the internal directory? I have been able to run this instance from any number of work computers, and my laptops with no issues in the past.

    Adam
    KC2ANT
  • Adam Mahnke
    Message 76 of 76 , Jul 19, 2012
      That part works great at home, or on my laptops, but as work doesn't allow me to have administrator privileges on the computers, it makes things a little more difficult.

      I'm starting to think it's not so much the drive letter now, as it is windows not seeing the drive, which is odd because the only program/file I have issues with is APRSIS32 Dev version.

      I'll mess with it.

      Thanks for all the help/info.

      Adam
      KC2ANT

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: kb8rco@...
      Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 13:04:45 -0700
      Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: Running from a Flash Drive

      The catch is that the drive letter CAN change even on the same computer - unless you SET IT (see below, but that only applies to the computer you set it on).  Stick 2 USB drives in at the same time and Windows will assign letters "next available", so you will be off by one.  If you have mapped mnetwork drives, windows may or may not acknowledge them and may assign your USB drive to a already in use letter (that is what happens to me at work).  THAT is real confusing.

      As far as I know, there is no easy reference to {current drive} that could be used in the batch file.  That is why I recommend the relative method - in DOS (Windows) APRSIS32 starts in the current directory where it reads the XML file, so if it is reading the correct file, and directories relative to it should work.

      Also, removing the drive reference should work because, again, it will start on the drive it is reading the XML file from.
         Start every path with /{dir1}/{dir2}/.../APRSIS32/     and it shoudl find its way

      SET IT:  You can go through the steps of:
      With the USB drive attached that has APRSIS32
         <Right-Click>My Computer icon on desktop and choose Manage
            Then Choose Disk Management
              Then <Right-Click>{your USB stick} and choose Change Drive Letter
                 Set it to some strange letter like "O"

         The issue is, you would have to do this on each and every machine you may put the stick in.

      Bottom line for me is to remove drive letters from paths, unless you are going between drives.  I place the map files on the SAME usb stick as APRSIS32 and make all paths relative.  SO FAR (knock on wood) that has worked for me using any computer I've tried.

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO