2009/08/05 APRSISCE Release Notes

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5 4:22 PM
      Beta Testers,

      Here's a stream of consciousness (actually a brain dump from my version
      control system) of what's new since January in APRSISCE (for Windows
      Mobile).

      1) It generates a date/time-stamped CSV file in your Documents folder
      with all of the transmitted coordinates. It does this even if you have
      APRS-IS disabled. I used this to track myself when I was out of the
      country without phone/Internet services. Some day I'll make it an Enable.

      2) If you add any b/Buddies to your filter text, they will be
      reverse-video'd when scrolling in the recent station list.

      3) I now notice that the tracking in general is NEW! All stations that
      move will leave a single width black line behind themselves. You clear
      these with Menu/Clear Track or double-click the Odometer.

      4) Secondary symbol table symbols now do overlays if specified by the
      client. This is NOT restricted to the subset that is documented, but is
      displayed on any symbol if so configured by the remote station.

      5) Your last known good position is saved when the client is closed and
      recalled when you run it again. This means that the map will be
      displayed along with other stations' relative positions even before you
      get a new fix.

      6) Scale factors have changed due to the OpenStreetMap implementation.
      You can actually zoom further out than before and if you zoom too far
      in, the maps will disappear and the circle will come back. The circle
      is also displayed if there are no maps currently loaded for the selected
      zoom level. Maps will appear when they finally begin arriving.

      7) Objects are tracked by the originating call sign in addition to the
      object name itself. This helps avoid object ID collisions in a close
      geographic area, but it can generate extra objects if ownership is
      intentionally changed.

      8) The path of the most recently heard packet for a station is
      remembered and displayed on the station popup. Object owners also
      appear here along with your configured APRS-IS server name if you click
      your own icon in the center.

      9) Several packet parser corrections have been implemented. Some
      packets that were previously considered bad parses will now be properly
      displayed.

      10) The javAPRSsrvr # heartbeat is no longer considered to be a received
      packet. This means that the activity timer may expire more often than
      it has before causing Force Disconnects. If you get an inordinate
      number of these, increase your Quiet Time configuration parameter. This
      was done because some APRS-IS servers seem to go dumb and quit
      transmitting packets but continue to transmit the heartbeats.

      11) Station Icons will fade away as they age. The XML configuration
      file lets you specify a minimum and maximum station age (in minutes).
      Stations will stay 100% for the minimum time and will then fade until
      the maximum time at which point they are deleted. Any message from a
      station will restore it to full brightness.

      (Note: a bug was just reported in the left/right arrow map fade
      controls. If you decrease it below zero with the left arrow, it will
      wrap back up to 100%. This will get fixed, but I probably won't bother
      with a new release for it).

      12) The station popup (click on the map icon or the recent station list)
      has been streamlined to remove information that is empty and add new
      additional information. It will show some or all of the following:

      Title bar shows station and IGate (this is APRS-IS after all)

      Sym: Symbol name and overlay (if any)
      Rng: miles @ bearing (if you have a fix)
      n/m Tracks (mKB) (if you've moved)
      Last known coordinates in APRS format
      Last heard timestamp (yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss)
      Path (if not empty between tocall and qXX,Igate)

      13) Zoom factors are now different due to OpenStreetMap tile scaling

      14) Circle no longer rotates, but North is always up. I need to make
      OSM an enable to restore the old rotating circle behavior. Or just
      restore rotation if you crank the visibility down to 0%?

      15) Statistics display (double-click the split station/memory bar) shows
      both your and total track counts and memory consumption. I hope to add
      network traffic counters and Tile "disk" and memory consumption
      information here someday.

      16) The recent station list now pops up the station on a single tap, a
      double-click is no longer necessary. This was done to make it
      consistent with the circle station display.

      17) The recent station list will reverse-video any station that appears
      as a buddy in your filter settings. Eventually I want to make the buddy
      list configurable so you don't have to manually add b/Callsign to your
      filter.

      18) I already mentioned the track drawing, but saw it again in the
      difference listing. I'm open to suggestions if the tracks need to be
      bolder, wider, or selectable by station. This is one of the reasons for
      the buddy list configuration also. I'm hoping to allow you to color the
      tracks of your buddies and possibly disable tracking or non-buddy stations.

      19) The OpenStreetMap currently covers all of the background available.
      I need to figure out how to clip them to the original circle, or at
      least draw a circle over top of the map. Remember that the height of
      the +/- scale bar is the radius of the circle. The number that appears
      above (landscape) or below (portrait) of the scale bar is the radius of
      the circle in miles (or feet if you zoom in far enough). Someday I
      might support a metric toggle for this display.

      20) Wait, it looks like the January release DID draw your own track!
      The new one just adds tracks for everyone that moves (including
      satellites that fly by). The track is only drawn if the current station
      position is visible on screen, though, so don't be alarmed if lines
      appear and disappear when you zoom out and in.

      21) I think I already mentioned that station Icons fade out as they age,
      but I just saw it again also. Obviously the recent station list doesn't
      fade because it's recent, right?

      22) Last known satellite positions (the pale numbers inside the circle)
      are now removed if you disable the GPS.

      23) The ranging red dot (forecast position based on last beaconed speed
      and heading) is partially faded. I need to make this percentage a
      configuration parameter too.

      24) That CSV Track file I mentioned at the top closes and restarts
      itself when you clear your odometer.

      25) A bunch of the various text displays are now better centered in the
      vertical direction. I'm talking about the +/-, H/V, Odometer, Heading,
      and stuff like that.

      26) Battery telemetry is no longer sent unless something has changed.
      This makes for rougher looking graphs, but less traffic and storage on
      the servers as well. If the battery is going up or down, it's smooth.

      27) Your last known position along with your current scale/zoom level
      are recorded and recalled the next time you run the client.

      Now, for the homework. To see if you've managed to read the whole thing
      through, can someone pull out all of my notes of what I still need to do
      and make a ToDo list for me?

      I'm also open to any and all suggestions of what to prioritize next.
      One of the things on my list is to make the APRS-IS connection
      asynchronous so it quits locking up the client when the cellular
      connection is bad or non-existent.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile

      PS. Would anyone be interested in a non-tracking, non-GPS, view-only
      Win32 version of the program?
    • David Shrum
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5 4:46 PM
        Lynn,
        I just downloaded it and installed it and I like the new additions, no I
        haven't tried it yet while mobile but I like what I see so far.

        When you said the "Left/Right" arrows I was looking on the face of my HTC
        Touch Pro and the screen and didn't see any of those keys, DUH, then I slid
        open my keyboard and sure enough they worked. The Touch Pro hides the
        keyboard when in 'normal' position.

        I also noticed that the Up/Down keys affect the zoom level, nice. I find my
        phone responds faster to those arrow keys than the "+" "-" buttons on the
        screen.

        When I kept the left arrow key pressed the map would cycle from map to just
        circle and back to the map and keep cycling, but the right only increased
        more detail to the map.

        Dave N8PU

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5 5:22 PM
          Dave,

          Actually, the left/right change the transparency of the map. It only
          looks like the detail changes as it becomes darker. As I was writing
          the release notes, an early tester of the left/right feature reported
          the left wrapping issue.

          I think the delay in the +/- on the screen is Windows Mobile hesitating
          to see if your motion was going to be a double-click or not. With the
          keyboard, there's no uncertainty.

          If your HTC Touch Pro has a navigation rocker thing on the face, it also
          works for the up/down/left/right. At least, my AT&T Tilt works that way!

          Thanks for the positive (and quick!) feedback. At least I know it works
          for one more person than just me!

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

          David Shrum wrote:

          > Lynn,
          > I just downloaded it and installed it and I like the new additions, no I
          > haven't tried it yet while mobile but I like what I see so far.
          >
          > When you said the "Left/Right" arrows I was looking on the face of my HTC
          > Touch Pro and the screen and didn't see any of those keys, DUH, then I
          > slid
          > open my keyboard and sure enough they worked. The Touch Pro hides the
          > keyboard when in 'normal' position.
          >
          > I also noticed that the Up/Down keys affect the zoom level, nice. I
          > find my
          > phone responds faster to those arrow keys than the "+" "-" buttons on the
          > screen.
          >
          > When I kept the left arrow key pressed the map would cycle from map to
          > just
          > circle and back to the map and keep cycling, but the right only increased
          > more detail to the map.
          >
          > Dave N8PU

        • Noel Shrum
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5 7:50 PM
            The 5-way nav pad on the touch pro works that way for me, too. (I have
            the sprint version)
            I'm not seeing any wrapping, though.

            Noel
            W8TVI