Re: [aprsisce] Wishlist

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2010
      g4ilo wrote:
      > One of the things I really liked about the iBCNU application for iPhone is that it displayed your current grid locator. This would be really useful for portable / rover operation. Is that possible in the future?

      Being only a recently licensed (1 year) and even more recently HF
      licensed (3 monhts) amateur operator, I only recently even learned what
      a "grid locator" IS! There is code in there to "notice" Maidenhead
      locators if included in a status (>) packet, but it doesn't even
      calculate the lat/lon for it (yet). I'll see if I can find code to
      convert lat/lon to grid locator and put it in there somewhere.

      > The other thing that would be nice would be the ability to create APRS objects.

      I purposely had object creation lower on my list than getting some form
      of RF interface working. APRS-IS-injected objects don't appear on RF
      unless you happen to be friends with (or ARE) the local IGate operator.
      Once I put APRSISCE/32 "on the air" with RF, objects become much more
      interesting.

      In the meantime, you can actually send an object to another APRSISCE/32
      user! I support the "Item In Message" format described in
      http://www.aprs.org/aprs12/item-in-msg.txt

      Basically, send an APRSISCE/32 user an APRS message where the text is
      actually a slightly modified Item definition. For instance, if you send
      a message in the form

      )NAME!DDMM.mmN/DDDMM.mmW$text.....

      Where NAME is the object name, DDMM.mmN is the lat, / is the symbol
      table, DDDMM.mmW is the lon, $ is the symbol, and text is the
      description, the specify symbol under the name and description will
      appear on the recipient's APRISCE/32 map. (lat/lon are in decimal
      minutes as per standard APRS nomenclature).

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

      PS. Here's a few examples from a recent geo-caching excursion I did
      with the stages of a multi-step puzzle cache...

      )GC1NA0P-P!2759.10N\08034.39WPJordan's Logic Parking
      )GC1NA0P!2758.44N/08033.85W.Jordan's Logic D3.5 T4.5
      )GC1NAQ9!2758.87N/08033.73W.After the Fires D1.5 T2.5
      )GREEN!2758.43N/08033.87W/Saw Palmeto
      )BLACK!2758.41N/08033.87W/Water
      )ORANGE!2758.44N/08033.86W/Tree
      )BLUE!2758.44N/08033.87W/Saw Palmetto
      )RED!2758.42N/08033.85W/Saw Palmeto
      )YELLOW!2758.42N/08033.89W/Water
      )PURPLE!2758.43N/08033.86W/Sand

      )TREE!2758.44N/08033.86W.Tree

      PPS. What's cool is that the object will show up on ALL of your
      APRSISCE/32 clients EXCEPT the one that sent the message. I really need
      to do something about that also, I want to be able to put objects on MY
      OWN MAP for geocaching!
    • g4ilo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2010
        > I'll see if I can find code to
        > convert lat/lon to grid locator and put it in there somewhere.

        I have got code that will do the conversion but it is in Pascal, because that's the programming language I'm familiar with. If it would be useful, drop me an email and I'll put it in an attachment.

        Julian, G4ILO