Re: [aprsisce] Igate question

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 2012
      On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Bob Harris <knineudx@...> wrote:

      > I think I have everything configured correctly for K9UDX-1 as an Igate,
      > but I am not certain it is working correctly. How can I verify that it is
      > working?

      Have a look to see what it is gating.

      http://aprs.fi/#!v=gated&call=a%2FK9UDX-1&timerange=3600

      http://aprs.fi/info/a/K9UDX-1

      > (Don't really want to hope into the van and drive to Warren to generate a
      > known track that will be received only by K9UDX-1 unless I have to.)

      Pray tell how you would craft a packet that can ONLY be HEARD by one
      station. If you used a null path and low power, you could probably
      keep packet local to the area, and only gated by K9UDX-1, but I'm
      certain that W1FN-3 high on the mountain above you would STILL HEAR
      your packets.

    • Bob Harris
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 2012
        Lynn,

        Thank you for your great answer and guidance (and most of all, your patience with me).

        When I got to the site, I found the computer had "lost" the com4 port (a USB to serial adapter) and APRSIS was reporting "TT4 Open". I do not know how or why the com4 port disappeared. I'll be watching that one closely until the Prouty is behind us (next Saturday).

        Once we got that issue resolved, I enabled the logs and saw everything was working as desired. I left the logging enabled so if I have to, I go back and review.

        I also enabled messaging so we can now ping it if necessary.

        When in doubt, there's probably one or more Trace Logs available to help you see what APRSISCE/32 is doing internally.  For the IGate function you can enable and watch (Enables / Logging / <TraceLog> and then click Enable on the menu).

        <YourPortName> - Shows traffic on a specific Port
        IGate - Shows probably just what you're after
        IGate(NOT) - Shows info on things NOT gating (in or out)
        Digi - Shows digipeater activity
        DigiNOT - Shows received packets that are NOT being digipeated
        Transmit - Helpful if debugging message gating or Digipeating

        I keep all of these enabled on my KJ4ERJ-1 IGate as well as Enables / File Enabled checked to put all of their diagnostics into the APRSIS32*.LOG for later perusal if necessary.

        Debugging the effectiveness of the IGate is a different story.  The word "effective" in this case is to describe an IGate that is actually showing up on APRS-IS.  To do this, it must be the first IGate to deliver any given packet to the -IS.  Just because you aren't first, doesn't mean your IGate isn't necessary, it's just not primary.  It may still gate pages that other nearby gates didn't hear for some reason or another.  Redundancy to a certain level isn't a bad thing.

        From another APRSISCE/32 instance, you can see your effective packets by using a Control-G FilterTest of "e/K9UDX-1" (without the quotes, of course) and you'll see all of the packets that were "entered" into the APRS-IS by your IGate.

        On 7/7/2012 1:00 PM, Bob Harris wrote:

        I think I have everything configured correctly for K9UDX-1 as an Igate, but I am not certain it is working correctly. How can I verify that it is working?

        The scroller is showing lots of stations with an asterisk so we are receiving packets. It's own identity is showing up on aprs.fi.

        --

        Bob Harris (K9UDX)
        Bath, NH

        --

        Bob Harris (K9UDX)
        Bath, NH

      • mm1ptt
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 13, 2012

          > When in doubt, there's probably one or more Trace Logs available to help
          > you see what APRSISCE/32 is doing internally. For the IGate function
          > you can enable and watch (Enables / Logging / <TraceLog> and then click
          > Enable on the menu).
          >
          > <YourPortName> - Shows traffic on a specific Port
          > IGate - Shows probably just what you're after
          > IGate(NOT) - Shows info on things NOT gating (in or out)
          > Digi - Shows digipeater activity
          > DigiNOT - Shows received packets that are NOT being digipeated
          > Transmit - Helpful if debugging message gating or Digipeating

          Hi Lynn
          On my instance of APRSIS32 - MB7UCM, I have enabled WIDE2-2 digipeating.
          I have just noticed that I don't have the option to trace Digi.
          I have to option to trace DigiNOT but there is no Digi option.

          I am using the latest non development release.

          What can I do to see the Digi trace log?

          Is there a reason why the NOT is in brackets for IGate(NOT) but no brackets for DigiNOT?

          Chris,
          MM1PTT/MB7UCM
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 13, 2012
            On 7/13/2012 5:23 AM, mm1ptt wrote:
            > Hi Lynn
            > On my instance of APRSIS32 - MB7UCM, I have enabled WIDE2-2 digipeating.
            > I have just noticed that I don't have the option to trace Digi.
            > I have to option to trace DigiNOT but there is no Digi option.

            Trace Logs only show up when the program has tried to put something into
            it. I suspect that you have not yet received a packet with a WIDE2-2
            unused and therefore the program has not yet actually done a Digitpeat
            and therefore has not yet created the Digi trace log.

            > I am using the latest non development release.

            There are additional UIFLOOD-type things supported in the latest
            development release, but normal UITRACE-style digipeating is fully
            supported in the general release.

            > What can I do to see the Digi trace log?

            If you can generate a local packet where WIDE2-2 is the first unused
            component, it should trigger the creation of the Digi trace log. Once it
            is there, enable it, and close the client telling it to Always enable
            the trace log and it will be there next time, already enabled.

            > Is there a reason why the NOT is in brackets for IGate(NOT) but no brackets for DigiNOT?

            Programmer inconsistency. This is one of those things I'm hoping to
            clean up when my time availability clears enough to start the major
            overhaul of the RFPort/IGate/Digi area of the program. I created the
            trace logs primarily for my own debugging, but they have turned into
            such useful windows into the internal operation of the program that
            they're multiplying like the proverbial rabbits.

            > Chris,
            > MM1PTT/MB7UCM

          • mm1ptt
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 13, 2012

              > I suspect that you have not yet received a packet with a WIDE2-2
              > unused and therefore the program has not yet actually done a Digitpeat
              > and therefore has not yet created the Digi trace log.

              You were right. I had recently re-booted the machine due to the Windows updates so the logs were empty. Its now filling up.

              In the DigiNOT log was a station using the UIFlood of GBR, and another station using the path RELAY,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1. So they were not acted upon by my station. The station using RELAY is also sending a Priority MIC-E notification, I will need to get in contact with him and propose a change to his Kenwood configuration.

              Thanks again Lynn,
              Chris MM1PTT /MB7UCM
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 13, 2012
                On 7/13/2012 8:09 AM, mm1ptt wrote:
                > Thanks again Lynn,

                You're welcome. It's good to know it's actually doing what it's
                supposed to do!