kpc-4

  • Brian Cochran
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2012

      Has anyone ever used a kantronics kpc-4 and AGW packet engine with APRS IS 32 to run 2 ports?

      If so I would like to hear of your success of failure and any configuration issues you ran into

      Brian Cochran, WC4J

      703-965-6011

      Wc4j@...

      www.wc4j.com

      DX Telnet Cluster dxc.wc4j.net

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2012

          Cool thanks!

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7, 2012

            If I use 2 different tnc such as a open tracker without AGW can it be configured to digi on both ports? Igate both ports? And if needed in future X data from both rf ports?

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2012
              Yes, it's only multi-port TNCs and AGW's PE that are constrained.  Otherwise, each RF port works as you'd expect it to.

              Cross-port gating is NOT yet supported, but is on the list.

              That said, I personally prefer an instance (with unique -SSID) per RF Port/band.  For instance, I use KJ4ERJ-1 as my 2m W1 Digi/IGate and KJ4ERJ-2 as my 30m HF IGate.  KJ4ERJ-63 is my APRS Messenger instance which also gates through KJ4ERJ-2, but only for received packets, not for locally generated packets which go out RF only.  Using this approach, it is easy to trace the origin of packets.  If a single instance/-SSID has multiple RF ports on different bands, it is much more difficult, if not impossible, to know where a given packet actually went.

              If you can describe in more detail your intentions and what hardware (TNCs and radios by band) you have to accomplish it, I can either explain how to do it today or make sure that the upcoming RF Port development effort provides your needed capabilities.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7, 2012

                For years now I have run 2m 10W fill digi wide1-1 under wc4j and w4pwc to get our ARES 5w-10w trackers out of the city and hilly terrain to the big wide digi and our Igates.

                We are now deploying 6M units as 3 2m radios going in one vehicle is getting to be a mess and we are finding the old lowband antennas now unused on fire rescue units since going 800 work great for 6m and give much better range for when we need to place a tracker in a unit as when the 911 system failed after last Fridays storm

                So I am adding to my 2m digi 6m capability this is easy as a standalone digi we are using TT4 with midland radios no pc

                But at our 3 igates and higher power 25w digi I have been running the long unsupported UI-View

                I have switched most of these sites to APRS IS 32 now and am learning the new system.

                My goal is at the 3 sites is to digi 2m and 6m and igate both to aprs is and if possible eventually able to gate local rf stations either from a described list or no hop ie directly heard stations between both ports so 2m can see 6m

                The 3 sites use Motorola 800 car pc’s on a 12v solar system and various form of internet access

                Tnc’s available are kpc-3+  <trying to replace due to kiss issues>

                Tiny track 4’s

                And I have ordered open tracker USB’s to replace all the kpc-3+ units

                All radios are converted midland GE and Motorola commercial gear

                Current 6m deployment has had WB4APR in discussion to try and prevent the 2m mess we already had and are correcting with the new widen-n implementation