Re: [aprsisce] Re: Log playback?

    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
      Help me out here, what does playback have to do with the messaging
      interface? Got me confused here.

      Lynn (D) - K4JERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

      On 7/4/2012 12:27 PM, ksaves2@... wrote:
      > I was scoping out the vagaries of messaging in the group. Trying to find a wiki to see if APRSIS32 can stuff all the messages in a file so I can just click on 'em sequentially rather than have to scroll/click, scroll/click on the messages pull-down.
      >
      > Anywho, I believe UI-View and Xastir definitely have playback and maybe YAAC though I'm not so sure of the latter.
      >
      > Kurt KC9LDH
      >
      > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen<ve6srv@...> wrote:
      >> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)<kj4erj@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> PS. Sorry for the delay in answering, but I'm on vacation and only
      >>> process e-mail during breaks. Sometimes I might miss a message or two.
      >> Sounds like a tough vacation if you have to take breaks from it!
      >>
      >> Pat laid out the concept very nicely.
      >>
      >> Think about us chasing a balloon... it would be neat to be able to
      >> capture the balloon flight, along with the chase and recovery vehicles
      >> for later playback. You could watch the balloon flying away from the
      >> launch site, then the chase vehicles take off towards the recovery
      >> area, watch them wait for the balloon to burst, and then if necessary
      >> the repositioning for recovery, and final move to the touchdown
      >> location.
      >>
      >> (Of course our chase and recoveries are pretty silly looking because I
      >> can not convince the rest of the chase crews to spread out and
      >> surround the anticipated landing area. It usually ends up being a big
      >> old parade out to the balloon on the ground. It's always "Follow
      >> James, he'll get us there!")
      >>
      >> Another more important use would be for post-mortem analysis of events
      >> such as ARES deployments. Being able to see where people went, and
      >> whether better pre-positioning, or deployment could have been achieved
      >> would be very handy.
      >>
      >> When replaying, a date/clock showing playback time would be good to
      >> have so you can tell when things were happening. Replay of messaging
      >> during the playback would be handy.
      >>
      >> Of course there are far more frivolous uses of replay to be had as well.
      >>
      >> --
      >> James
      >> VE6SRV

    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
        Lynn K4JERJ wrote...

        > Help me out here, what does playback have to do with the
        > messaging interface? Got me confused here.

        Right, there is more than one kind of playback. Going by the
        subject, it could be playback of a log file. UI-View, can log
        everything, but not just one particular station. Perhaps you could
        add that ability. In relation to messages, perhaps he was referring
        to it having the messages read to him via a synthesized voice on the
        speaker. Kinda nice if you are multi-tasking or driving or otherwise
        occupied. Or he could just be referring to scrolling a list of past
        received (or sent) messages and viewing them... or having it
        save a copy of messages so they could be viewed after a restart.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
          On 7/4/2012 3:52 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
          > Lynn K4JERJ wrote...
          >
          >> Help me out here, what does playback have to do with the
          >> messaging interface? Got me confused here.
          > In relation to messages, perhaps he was referring
          > to it having the messages read to him via a synthesized voice on the
          > speaker. Kinda nice if you are multi-tasking or driving or otherwise
          > occupied. Or he could just be referring to scrolling a list of past
          > received (or sent) messages and viewing them...

          Got a Win32/WinMo API for text-to-speech you can point me to?

          > or having it
          > save a copy of messages so they could be viewed after a restart.

          In my mind if not on my ToDo list. Especially saving and
          recalling/restarting unacknowledged pending outbound messages.

        • Kim
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
            Hi All,

            I would find it very usefull to be able to revisit messages that have been previously read.. I often go back to old messages if I happen to remember the callsign of the station involved..

            So the useful feature would be single place to look at all old messages.. I am mainly interested in those that have been in the current run of the program... not woried so much about having them saved and reviewable over a restart.. It's more about remembering the call sign than any thing else..

            Once I have the call, If I need to see the actual messages I can access them on aprs.fi...

            ... For me this is NOT a high priority feature, but something for the todo list, to be done well after the IS-RF work....

            73 Kim

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
              Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

              > Got a Win32/WinMo API for text-to-speech you can point me to?

              It's a standard feature in UI-View to be able to have it "speak"
              messages directed to the users callsign-SSID, but for it to actually
              work, the user must install Microsoft's MS Agent. There's a link
              in the help, so it's easy for the user to go and grab it. There's an
              option to have it also "speak" bulletins as well as messages.

              www.microsoft.com/msagent

              Without MS Agent installed, there is an option to play a WAV file
              when a new message comes in, or to play a custom WAV file... e.g.
              KJ4ERJ .WAV if a message from you was installed. The message
              window can also pop up to the foreground when a message comes
              in. This can be a nice feature or a nuisance if you are multi-tasking
              and trying to get something else done while someone else peppers
              you with a whole series of messages. 8-)

              There are also options to have it save messages. With this enabled,
              the user can view a folder where the messages are stored under
              the callsign of the sender. It can also save bulletins.

              To send a message, the user would either type in the callsign in
              the TO field, and select port I (Internet) or 1 (one) for RF if there's
              just one radio port and type the message in and hit send. Alternatively,
              they could double-click on a received message to automatically
              enter the callsign in the TO field. Yet another option is to right-click
              on a station on the map and choose "send message". Actually there
              are quite a right-click options for clicking on a station including
              the ability to add custom "right click URLs" such as to look up
              a particular callsign, or to view the station in findu.com or
              aprs.fi, or to view the raw data at either site. A station can be
              pinged or queried from a right click.

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            • KE6BB
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                Maybe the ability to scroll back thru previously received messages rather than the program forgetting them as soon as they are read, like it does now? That might be easy (at least in the minds of us non-programmers <grin>). Lynn might even be able to make it a user configurable parameter where you could set it, i.e. "Keep last XX messages", and once the buffer has XX messages in it, it would start deleting the oldest ones first. Maybe a time parameter would be better, "Keep messages less than YYY minutes old." Just a thought.

                Mark
                KE6BB

                --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <vk2asy@...> wrote:

                > Hi All,
                >
                > I would find it very usefull to be able to revisit messages that have been previously read.. I often go back to old messages if I happen to remember the callsign of the station involved..
                >
                > So the useful feature would be single place to look at all old messages.. I am mainly interested in those that have been in the current run of the program... not woried so much about having them saved and reviewable over a restart.. It's more about remembering the call sign than any thing else..
                >
                > Once I have the call, If I need to see the actual messages I can access them on aprs.fi...
                >
                > ... For me this is NOT a high priority feature, but something for the todo list, to be done well after the IS-RF work....
                >
                > 73 Kim

              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                  Mark KE6BB wrote...

                  > Maybe the ability to scroll back thru previously received messages...

                  Just for those that haven't used UI-View, that program has a separate
                  "message" window. Sent and received messages can be viewed, and
                  you can right-click on them to see the time of receipt. They disappear
                  and are gone if the program is shut down, but there is an option to
                  save received messages. From the "messages" window, you can
                  "read messages" to view messages saved on the hard drive. They
                  are saved in a folder named MESSAGES below where UI-View
                  is installed. There is a separate file for each callsign that has sent
                  you a message. Your sent messages are saved there too. The
                  messages are saved in a text file and it uses Notepad to view the
                  file. The date / time is shown, followed by the message. It must
                  be hard-coded to use Notepad as it isn't my default text editor.
                  One way of initiating a message is to right-click on a station on
                  the map view and select "send a message" from the menu.

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                • Kurt Savegnago
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                    Sat down today and tooled around with APRSIS32 on one screen and the wiki on the other.  Just had an internet connection up though I've run it with a serial GPS and with a D7A(g) and a D72A attached in a simple mode.

                    Was messing with the filters and such and I somehow lost the ability to receive objects though APRS-IS is O.K.  It did receive objects from the IS before I sat down and starting banging away and making changes to some of the menu items. I do have a simple internet only setup at the office I could scroll through the menus and see what I've done but I've banged my head over a couple of hours and can't seem to get the objects to display.

                    I mean the objects transmitted by outside local stations.  I have an Xastir setup transmitting an object  I know is hitting the digi that's 400yds. away and making it to APRS.fi.  I'm not talking about objects generated locally on the APRSIS32 setup.  I do like the ability to turn the objects on and off actually.

                    Earlier in the day, I was receiving that object on this APRSIS32 setup over the internet but now that capability is gone and I don't know what I messed up in the menu!  Drat.      Is there a distance setting in the menu that I might have set incorrectly so Objects at a certain distance aren't displayed?   I'm racking my brain on this one.                        Kurt KC9LDH
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                      Please close your client and e-mail your APRSIS32.XML file to KJ4ERJ@....  I can check it out and see what I can make of it.  But, there are some options:

                      1) Make sure you have View / All checked.

                      2) Double-check your Configure / General / Range and remember that it is expressed in 1/10 mile increments.  50 is only 5 miles, 500 is 50 miles.

                      3) Make sure ME is in the right place, use Screen / Follow / ME to see where it is.  If it is wrong, then drag/zoom to where you should be, hit Transmit and then confirm the intent to Move ME to Center.

                      4) Check what all you might have in Configure / General / Add Filter.  In particular, watch out for minus (-) filter elements that would exclude certain things from coming from APRS-IS.  Especially look for -t/o which would eliminate all object packet.

                      Those are the ones that come quickly to mind.  If all else fails, just close the client, delete your APRSIS32.XML file, and restart.  Reconfigure and all should be well.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                        Fixed,

                          It was the range I had set wrong.  Stupidhead here didn't "get" the 1/10th mile thing.:-0
                        I "get" it now and won't likely forget. :-)

                                                          Kurt KC9LDH

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 5, 2012
                            Lynn,

                            it would be also handy for those of us familiar more with km than miles to have it scaled in km.
                            If possible this parameter could be integrated in Configure -> Metrics menu for example.
                            --
                            Regards,

                            Krzysztof
                            SQ5NWI