Re: Feature Request: RF port masking

  • mm1ptt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2012

      > There will remain the Windows restriction that a given COM port can only
      > be opened by a single program, so don't anyone get your hopes up of
      > talking to a serially-interfaced dual-port KAM TNC from multiple
      > instances...

      When APRSIS32 fully supports port masking with AGWPE, then the user can use a AGWPE-interface to the KAM* TNC to share the TNC amongst multiple instance.

      *Of course here I'm only referring to sharing the AX.25 packet ports, i.e using the TNC a dual port packet TNC and ignoring the fact the KAM supports other modes.

      When I used my KAM with AGWPE, the VHF port of the KAM was Port1 of AGWPE and the HF port was Port2 of AWGPE. I believe current implementation of APRSIS32 receives on all ports of AWGPE and only transmits on the port1.
      With the ability to port masking AGWPE I would be able to select port1 for RX and TX on one instance of APRSIS32 (MB7UCM) and port2 for RX/TX in another instance (MM1PTT-14)

      But after I upgraded my host computer UZ7HO soundmodem made my KAM redundant.
      The previous computer wasn't powerful enough for soundmodem, certainly not powerful enough for two instances of soundmodem that I'm currently running. So the old computer relied on the KAM to do the hard work with UI-view masking the irrelevant traffic for each instance.

      Chris MM1PTT