Feature Request: RF port masking

  • mm1ptt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2012
      Hi Lynn
      I know in the next few weeks your going to be working on improving the RF ports functionality. Do you have on your todo list the option for port masking with AWGPE / UZ7HO soundmodem?

      I dont know if port masking is the correct term? I've taken it from my experience with UI-View. It is also used in UISS but slightly limited, UISS gives you the option to select which AWGPE port is RX (All ports or one specific port) and which port is TX (only one port can be selected for TX). Ideally I would have liked the option to select more than one RX port.

      Anyway, my use case is with UZ7HO soundmodem, I have one channel of the soundcard line-in for 2m 1200baud (MB7UCM) and the other channel for 14m 300baud (MM1PTT-14). I currently run two instances of the soundmodem so the correct RF traffic goes to the right client. If not, both clients would get HF and 2m packets.

      If your initial support is only selectable RX channels with a fixed TX port e.g. port 1, that would suit me great as right now MM1PTT-14 is receive only.

      Thanks for all your hard work and effort in making the best APRS program, and I look forward to your new enhancements.

      Chris, MM1PTT/MB7UCM
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2012
        I hope to fully support multi-channel TNCs which includes the AGW/UZ7HO
        as well as the dual-port KAM TNCs. I haven't yet figured out how to do
        the internals, but my hope is that you'll have individually controllable
        port configurations in APRSISCE/32 for each of the ports on the actual
        interfaces.

        There will remain the Windows restriction that a given COM port can only
        be opened by a single program, so don't anyone get your hopes up of
        talking to a serially-interfaced dual-port KAM TNC from multiple
        instances...

        On 7/2/2012 12:24 PM, mm1ptt wrote:
        > Hi Lynn
        > I know in the next few weeks your going to be working on improving the RF ports functionality. Do you have on your todo list the option for port masking with AWGPE / UZ7HO soundmodem?
        >
        > I dont know if port masking is the correct term? I've taken it from my experience with UI-View. It is also used in UISS but slightly limited, UISS gives you the option to select which AWGPE port is RX (All ports or one specific port) and which port is TX (only one port can be selected for TX). Ideally I would have liked the option to select more than one RX port.
        >
        > Anyway, my use case is with UZ7HO soundmodem, I have one channel of the soundcard line-in for 2m 1200baud (MB7UCM) and the other channel for 14m 300baud (MM1PTT-14). I currently run two instances of the soundmodem so the correct RF traffic goes to the right client. If not, both clients would get HF and 2m packets.
        >
        > If your initial support is only selectable RX channels with a fixed TX port e.g. port 1, that would suit me great as right now MM1PTT-14 is receive only.
        >
        > Thanks for all your hard work and effort in making the best APRS program, and I look forward to your new enhancements.
        >
        > Chris, MM1PTT/MB7UCM

      • mm1ptt
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2012

          > There will remain the Windows restriction that a given COM port can only
          > be opened by a single program, so don't anyone get your hopes up of
          > talking to a serially-interfaced dual-port KAM TNC from multiple
          > instances...

          When APRSIS32 fully supports port masking with AGWPE, then the user can use a AGWPE-interface to the KAM* TNC to share the TNC amongst multiple instance.

          *Of course here I'm only referring to sharing the AX.25 packet ports, i.e using the TNC a dual port packet TNC and ignoring the fact the KAM supports other modes.

          When I used my KAM with AGWPE, the VHF port of the KAM was Port1 of AGWPE and the HF port was Port2 of AWGPE. I believe current implementation of APRSIS32 receives on all ports of AWGPE and only transmits on the port1.
          With the ability to port masking AGWPE I would be able to select port1 for RX and TX on one instance of APRSIS32 (MB7UCM) and port2 for RX/TX in another instance (MM1PTT-14)

          But after I upgraded my host computer UZ7HO soundmodem made my KAM redundant.
          The previous computer wasn't powerful enough for soundmodem, certainly not powerful enough for two instances of soundmodem that I'm currently running. So the old computer relied on the KAM to do the hard work with UI-view masking the irrelevant traffic for each instance.

          Chris MM1PTT