Some questions

  • DonM
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2010
      I have aprsis32 installed on my laptop. My laptop is set to do nothing when I close the lid. aprsis32 stays up but it stops sending and receiving data. Is this something that can be fixed? Also is there a button that will send a beacon when pushed?

      with all that said I think aprsis32 is a well written program and is a pleasure to work. Thank you Lynn!

      Don K0OZ
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2010
        DonM wrote:
        > I have aprsis32 installed on my laptop. My laptop is set to do nothing when I close the lid. aprsis32 stays up but it
        > stops sending and receiving data. Is this something that can be fixed? Also is there a button that will send a beacon when pushed?

        Hm, I also have my laptop set to do nothing when I close the lid, but I
        only close the lid when I'm carrying it through the house. I leave it
        open all night with the Power Options turning the screen off. I'll have
        to see what might be going on here. There's nothing that know of in the
        code that should cause this unless Windows freezes time somehow. I'll
        add this to my "investigate" list.

        > stops sending and receiving data. Is this something that can be fixed? Also is there a button that will send a beacon when pushed?

        The APRSISCE (Windows Mobile) version has a Transmit button. I recently
        enabled it on my Win32 version with GPS and KISS support and was
        actually going to disable it when no GPS was configured. However, given
        your recent excursion into changing coordinates, maybe I'll
        re-consider. However, now that I type that, I'm also considering a way
        to (re)set the current location to the center of the map which
        would/could also trigger a beacon. If you center on self (double-click
        the smaller 3 dashes windows) and then do the (yet to be implemented)
        "Set My Coordinates", a new beacon will be sent. "Set My Coordinates"
        again would beacon again allowing a time-spanned overcoming of aprs.fi's
        speed limiting. The Transmit button still seems like something that you
        would only really want if running a real GPS.

        To make this worth reading for others, if you double-click the small
        three dashes windows (or the compass heading in a GPS-enabled (APRSISCE)
        version), the map will center on your current location. If you
        double-click on the scale number below the +/- zoom slider, it will
        return to your most recently set "Preferred" view (see
        View/Preferred/Save). This works just like View/Preferred/Restore.

        Oh, and the circle that appears on the map is roughly the scale distance
        in miles in radius. In other words, from the center of the map to the
        edge of the circle is the scale in miles. As any mapping purist knows,
        lat/lon aren't linear on our (oblately) spherical planet Earth, so I
        average the N/S and E/W distances to give a single scale number. For
        most habitable ranges of Earth, this is probably sufficient. I've
        considered actually moving the N/S points to make an ellipse at the
        actual scale, but haven't really determined how to easily do that yet!
        Any programmers have a suggestion?

        > with all that said I think aprsis32 is a well written program and is a pleasure to work. Thank you Lynn!

        Thanks again for the kind words. I'm looking forward to finding time to
        wrap up the next release. Keep the suggestions and comments coming, it
        gives me inspiration!

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ