Re: Raspberry Pi

  • justinscottpontius
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
      I'm really not sure. The author says it should work on any posix system. I know it runs on OpenWRT, so it should be possible...

      They also have a group that is pretty well supported. You might want to ask there.
      https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/aprx-software

      Justin
      KD8IAY
    • n5dtx
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
        That looks really interesting, I'll do some playing with this over the
        weekend. Thanks Lynn

        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@...>
        wrote:

        > Try DIXPRS which is written in python and therefore doesn't need to
        compile:

        > https://sites.google.com/site/dixprs/home

      • Rob Giuliano
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
          APRX compiled on many different platforms.  Some were ARM processor network routers,  I'd be willing to bet it would work.

          There are a few other DIGI/IGATE packages out there (no graphics) that would work in remote.
               aprs4r - if it is still available
              aprsd -good comments on this
              aprx - I've used this with good success on a WRT54g and found it easy enough to work with

          Good luck and we look forward to hearing status reports.

          Robert Giuliano
          KB8RCO

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 30, 2012
            I don't know of any one APRS program that is "perfect" for everyone.  UI-View is getting long in tooth, has a klutzy non-intuitive interface in my opinion and is clumsy to navigate
            in the aftermarket maps.  Yet some folks like some of it's features and is still widely used.

            Xastir has it's proponents and if one uses it for some time, becomes easier as the time goes on.  Actually one can get the gist of it by running through the commands.  It works
            great of course for Linux which is it's "native tongue". :-)  I tried half-heartedly to get it to
            work under Windows but gave up as it was too easy to run natively in Linux.

            Aprsisce/32 is very feature rich, can use a variety of maps that can be downloaded in advance and used portable without an internet connection.  The features are a bit more challenging to figure out and the messaging situation is very difficult for myself to understand.
            There are so many features it's hard to figure out the advantages.  It's also constantly being developed which is a plus.  It runs dastardly well in Linux under WINE once setup.

            USAPhotomaps was the first program I believe to download photo tiles for offline use
            and was usuable for APRS.  It was really not meant for that purpose.  It never was really that popular.  Again the interface was clumsy but the helpfile had enough info to get it setup and going.  They lost their mapserver and have been scrambling to get something going.  Perhaps by now something is up but I haven't used it in a couple or years.  The cost was cheap, free or a donation.

            YAAC is a new kid on the block that can be self contained after downloading the OSM tiles as instructed on the site.  It has it's idiosyncrasies but perhaps it was easy for me to setup after messing with all the other programs listed above! :-)
            My point is not any one program is going to satisfy everyone out there.  Keep slogging away at what interests one and ask questions if need be.

                                                         Kurt KC9LDH
            --- On Fri, 6/29/12, n5dtx <dgbryant@...> wrote:

            (Snip for Brevity's Sake)

            I had played with Xastir a little several years ago and I abandoned it when I discovered APRSIS32. (thanks to Byon and Allen at Byonics!)  After working with Xastir again last night I found it to be very cumbersome and unsophisticated compared to APRSIS32.  I have always appreciated the effort that Lynn has put forth, but it was even more appreciated last night as I was fiddling with Xastir.  Thanks again Lynn!