RE: [aprsisce] feature request mid point

  • KK4DFZ
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2012
      At sea, the problem is known as the Closest Point of Approach (CPA).
      Important in judging the risk of collisions, but it is a much simpler
      proposition if you don't have to stay on a road.

      There is some nautical freeware called SeaClear II available at sping.com
      for anyone that would like to see what one implementation looks like.
      You'll have to provide an NMEA location feed to simulate your own movement
      and find an online AIS feed to simulate other traffic. I think there is one
      available for San Francisco Bay but don't have the link handy.

      I run both SeaClear and APRSIS32 on my car laptop sometimes as we have OSM
      and nautical chart coverage of the roads and bridges I drive. Kinda funny
      to be warned that your Explorer is in danger of collision with an oil tanker
      that's 100 feet below the roadbed.

      I'd be surprised if anyone had implemented a similar solution for the road
      atlas based topology used in automotive GPS, but for rural and freeway
      driving, the simple marine CPA may have some utility and not be too hard to
      implement.