RE: Spain Tile Caching

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2010
      Actually, I did only ask the question more out of interest rather than a
      push to a particular direction. But, I do have a bridge to sell as well if
      you are interested. ;)

      I flew out to Arkansas on Saturday and my daughter met me at the airport and
      we came straight home from there. We got home Sunday night, 25 hours of
      driving later. It was a good trip!

      In advance, I created a GPX file for the planned route using GMap2GPX &
      Notepad. Actually I created several different routes. I then fed only one
      route [I-81] through my "GPS simulator" and let APRSIS32 do its thing. It
      took awhile. I set the zoom level at 14 so I could have a larger swath at
      level 15 which would allow for food/fuel/motel hunting as needed. Street
      names are available at that level in most if not all areas. I only sent a
      position every 5 seconds or so. It gave the software enough to grab to tiles
      that way and have a bit of dead time. I let it run unattended so it did not
      impact what I was doing. By running it slow, it should not have caused a
      large load on the servers either but I have no way to know that for sure.

      I ended up not having a tracker to run and not using the laptop either. But,
      I have the tiles for my next trip [next month] which will be in a tracker
      enabled vehicle.

      Actually, this method seems to grab less tiles than if I used the Prefetch
      Tiles option. I think I only got 14 and 15 (2 levels) while cruising around
      at 14. The prefetcher grabs 4 levels. I try to remember to turn off fetching
      once I am done or I get level 16 tiles which I don't need for general
      navigating.

      As you can see, I have worked out a plan to grab tiles anyway. I also have a
      procedure to grab 1/4 of a grid square at a time. It requires more effort
      but it is not too obnoxious. The procedure marches APRSIS32 around the area
      in 1 degree steps. At 5 seconds per position, the tiles in a 1/4 grid square
      area takes 5-6 hours. I am only grabbing blocks of areas that I will visit
      in the next couple of months. As I visit more areas in the future, I will
      grab additional tiles.

      I can't imagine that I am the only one that pre-fetches tile over a large
      area for offline work. I would suggest that when you have a "updater"
      running, you allow for updating over a period of time. Updating 200K files
      at 1.3GB over a period of time would be better than as quick as possible. I
      did grab these files over several weeks so as not to create too much of a
      load.

      Best regards,
      Fred