GPX logging

  • g4ilo
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5 2:33 AM
      I am expecting delivery of an HTC Touch Pro so hopefully will be trying out APRSISCE real soon.

      One question I have: is it possible for two applications to access the GPS at the same time? Reason I ask is that the street mapping of my home town in OpenStreetMap is somewhat lacking, and so I'd like to use my position reports to create a GPX file that I can then use to update the maps. I've been told by people on aprs.fi that the APRS network is not intended to be used for this, so I would need to log the reports locally, and I presume that APRSISCE won't do this by itself?

      Julian, G4ILO
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5 4:37 AM
        g4ilo wrote:
        > I am expecting delivery of an HTC Touch Pro so hopefully will be trying out APRSISCE real soon.
        >
        > One question I have: is it possible for two applications to access the GPS at the same time? Reason I ask is that the street mapping of my home town in OpenStreetMap is somewhat lacking, and so I'd like to use my position reports to create a GPX file that I can then use to update the maps. I've been told by people on aprs.fi that the APRS network is not intended to be used for this, so I would need to log the reports locally, and I presume that APRSISCE won't do this by itself?

        You're currently correct that APRSISCE won't do OpenStreetMap.org GPX
        files. However, if you look in your My Documents folder, you'll notice
        a bunch of .CSV files with yyyymmdd-hhmm.csv looking names. These
        contain the timestamp, coordinate, and altitude of each beacon sent by
        APRSISCE. When you click Transmit, not only is a beacon sent (assuming
        it has been at least the minimum seconds), but a row is added to this
        file. I need to a) put this in GPX format, b) give the user a way to
        turn on/off/restart this file, and c) give the user a way to put a
        coordinate in the GPX file with an entered comment.

        Right now, to do b) (restart a new file), either close/re-open the
        client (ugly) or toggle Enable/GPS Enabled off and back on. Lucky for
        me, Windows Mobile doesn't actually turn off the GPS immediately, so you
        probably won't lose your fix if you do the off/on toggle in 15-30
        seconds. After 30 seconds, the GPS may do a warm start.

        For c)...I did one excursion attempting to collect points for
        OpenStreetMap.org. I was on my bicycle and stopped at each corner to
        send a message to my home station with the street names and hit Transmit
        to have a closely-timed coordinate. However, when I finally got back
        home after mapping 3 or 4 neighborhoods in about 3 hours, I got busy
        with other things and never grabbed the data. There is still a "hole in
        the donut" in southern Palm Bay that OpenStreetMap.org doesn't know
        actually has streets!

        Add b/KJ4ERJ* to your filter, wait for a beacon from me, center on it
        and then drag the map south. You can't miss the hole. Yes, it was
        literally known as the "donut hole" at city council long before it was
        developed!

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
      • g4ilo
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5 5:34 AM
          OK. There are conversion utilities that can convert track files between various formats like CSV, GPX etc. I don't know whether they would work with your particular CSV format. If not, it isn't a big problem, as I can probably write a program to convert the files myself. But obviously direct support of GPX would be nice, as would the ability to enter a comment.

          Julian, G4ILO

          > g4ilo wrote:
          > > I am expecting delivery of an HTC Touch Pro so hopefully will be trying out APRSISCE real soon.
          > >
          > > One question I have: is it possible for two applications to access the GPS at the same time? Reason I ask is that the street mapping of my home town in OpenStreetMap is somewhat lacking, and so I'd like to use my position reports to create a GPX file that I can then use to update the maps. I've been told by people on aprs.fi that the APRS network is not intended to be used for this, so I would need to log the reports locally, and I presume that APRSISCE won't do this by itself?
          > >

          > You're currently correct that APRSISCE won't do OpenStreetMap.org GPX
          > files. However, if you look in your My Documents folder, you'll notice
          > a bunch of .CSV files with yyyymmdd-hhmm.csv looking names. These
          > contain the timestamp, coordinate, and altitude of each beacon sent by
          > APRSISCE. When you click Transmit, not only is a beacon sent (assuming
          > it has been at least the minimum seconds), but a row is added to this
          > file. I need to a) put this in GPX format, b) give the user a way to
          > turn on/off/restart this file, and c) give the user a way to put a
          > coordinate in the GPX file with an entered comment.
          >
          > Right now, to do b) (restart a new file), either close/re-open the
          > client (ugly) or toggle Enable/GPS Enabled off and back on. Lucky for
          > me, Windows Mobile doesn't actually turn off the GPS immediately, so you
          > probably won't lose your fix if you do the off/on toggle in 15-30
          > seconds. After 30 seconds, the GPS may do a warm start.
          >
          > For c)...I did one excursion attempting to collect points for
          > OpenStreetMap.org. I was on my bicycle and stopped at each corner to
          > send a message to my home station with the street names and hit Transmit
          > to have a closely-timed coordinate. However, when I finally got back
          > home after mapping 3 or 4 neighborhoods in about 3 hours, I got busy
          > with other things and never grabbed the data. There is still a "hole in
          > the donut" in southern Palm Bay that OpenStreetMap.org doesn't know
          > actually has streets!
          >
          > Add b/KJ4ERJ* to your filter, wait for a beacon from me, center on it
          > and then drag the map south. You can't miss the hole. Yes, it was
          > literally known as the "donut hole" at city council long before it was
          > developed!
          >
          > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

        • Francisco Guerra
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 7 4:35 AM

            You're currently correct that APRSISCE won't do OpenStreetMap. org GPX
            files. However, if you look in your My Documents folder, you'll notice
            a bunch of .CSV files with yyyymmdd-hhmm. csv looking names. These
            contain the timestamp, coordinate, and altitude of each beacon sent by
            APRSISCE. When you click Transmit, not only is a beacon sent (assuming
            it has been at least the minimum seconds), but a row is added to this
            file. I need to a) put this in GPX format, b) give the user a way to
            turn on/off/restart this file, and c) give the user a way to put a
            coordinate in the GPX file with an entered comment.

            It's a nice feature, and, as Julian (G4ILO) says, "direct support of GPX would be nice".
            But, where are .CSV files in /32 version?.
            I can convert APRSISCE .CSV files to .KML or GPX with "Poiedit" programm. But There are 2 problemms:
            1- the "T" between date and time must be converted to  ",";
            2-  "Poiedit" converts longitude data to latitude data and vice-versa. You must change the order before conversion.

            Thanks
            (CT1AKV)

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 7 6:46 AM
              Francisco Guerra wrote:

              > It's a nice feature, and, as Julian (G4ILO) says, "direct support of
              > GPX would be nice".
              > But, where are .CSV files in /32 version?.

              APRSIS32 doesn't create the .CSV files as they make no sense until it
              supports GPS input. If a station can't move, every log would end up
              with a single entry!
              > I can convert APRSISCE .CSV files to .KML or GPX with "Poiedit"
              > programm. But There are 2 problemms:
              > 1- the "T" between date and time must be converted to ",";

              The T is one of the web standard data formats for a date/time stamp. I
              actually created this support (and stealthed it due to lack of time) to
              track our travels in Costa Rica last year where I knew I wouldn't have a
              live Internet connection. At the end of each day, I uploaded the
              file(s) to my server back home and it generated OSM map panels showing
              our journey. You can see these files at the following URL in the dates
              from 2009-03-32 through 2009-04-06. 2009-04-06 from 18:32:57 through
              23:56:00 shows our plane flight from CR to FL.

              http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/CostaRica/*

              (BTW, when you see how slow my outbound server is, you'll know why I
              distribute the program via Yahoo Groups!)

              > 2- "Poiedit" converts longitude data to latitude data and vice-versa.
              > You must change the order before conversion.
              >
              > Thanks
              > (CT1AKV)

            • Bob Harris
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 7, 2011
                The big day(s) (the Prouty) is almost here. I was thinking it would be useful to save the tracks from at least Saturday for a post-event debriefing and to evaluate our coverage. On the wiki I found:

                AutoSave GPX - If checked, a .GPX file is automatically saved containing your recorded track if your station moves. The file will be named <callsign-SSID>-YYYYMMDD-HHMM.gpx and stored in the same directory as the XML configuration file. The "Save Track" on a station popup menu will record the same format file for any station.

                I cannot find "Save Track" on a station popup menu. Any assistance in helping me to save the tracks for our vehicles would be appreciated. We will be using the "Multi-Track" feature if that matters.
                --

                Bob Harris (K9UDX)
                Bath, NH