Track Retention & Station Usage

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2010
      I just pushed out a new development release that changes the algoithm
      for station replacement and retention to make it possible to retain
      tracks for your favorite station longer than before.

      First, there are three XML parameters governing the (hidden) station
      list. They are:

      <Stations.MinAge>80</Stations.MinAge>
      <Stations.MaxAge>120</Stations.MaxAge>
      <Stations.MaxCount>128</Stations.MaxCount>

      The first 2 are expressed in minutes and the final one is a count of
      stations.

      Stations will be retained in the list as long as they have been active
      in the MinAge time period. They will also be displayed with a non-faded
      symbol for that interval.

      When a station is between MinAge and MaxAge, the symbol will be steadily
      faded until it is almost ghost-like as it approaches MaxAge. After
      MaxAge, the station is removed from the list along with whatever track
      and history have been accumulated for that station.

      However, if the station list is longer than MaxCount, the oldest (least
      recently active) station between MinAge and MaxAge is replaced with a
      new station. So, a track is only guaranteed to be around for stations
      that are active at least every MinAge minutes.

      You can see all of these parameters if you double-click the skinny
      vertical bars on the left edge of the right side of the display (or is
      that the left side of the right edge of the display?). Statistics on
      your current station list will be displayed along with a breakdown of RF
      Direct vs Local counts. There is a slight performance gain to be
      realized if you set MaxCount so that it is never (or rarely) exceeded.
      MaxCount is also the scale of the inner-most vertical bar. (The skinny
      one in the middle is a measure of track memory consumption).

      So, what's new is that Buddies and the station that you are actively
      following are now exempt from all replacement. Therefore, tracks for
      your buddies and the one you're following will be retained until you
      Clear Tracks or start following someone else. Even if you change
      following, if the station you left is still active, it will continue to
      be retained until exceeds MaxAge of inactivity or is the least recently
      active when a new station is discovered.

      Anyway, thanks to Michael (N4MAK) for triggering me to think of this
      trivial change. I've also been wanting it so that my balloon tracks
      will still be there more than an hour after they go off the air!

      (Playing with trivial changes...)