Re: [aprsisce] Icon

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2010
      Cool! A House and it's not in the middle of the ocean! And now a -10,
      that's another way to get aprs.fi to "allow" you to move a large
      distance. It then thinks you're a different station.

      I've sent a private e-mail about the van not appearing. APRSIS32 only
      displays stations heard since you started running it. It doesn't record
      anything between executions, unlike aprs.fi which buffers stations for a
      LONG time. If you bring up a new copy of APRSIS32, your van won't
      appear until it beacons.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

      Don Morris wrote:

      > Thanks again Lynn
      >
      > 73, Don K0OZ
      > Rio Rancho, NM, USA

    • Joe Pupecki
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 17 5:06 AM
        Icon

        Hello,

                Does anyone know how I can change my icon on the map to something other than a laptop??

        Thanks, N1MNU

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 17 5:11 AM
          Configure / General and then click on the laptop. Then play with the
          spin buttons or enter an ASCII value. Have fun!

          Joe Pupecki wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Does anyone know how I can change my icon on the map to
          > something other than a laptop??
          >
          > Thanks, N1MNU

        • wa5qbx
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2012
            I am obviously new to APRSIS since I joined yesterday.
            I currently have a laptop showing on my map. Since my Kenwood D72 is running as a Wx station, naturally I would like to see the WX symbol on the map as well as the log scrolling on the left side of the map. I cannot find the place to change the icon.
            Secondly, I am not seeing any stations on my map. Our club station, W5BII, shows on other APRS maps.
            I have the D72 connected to the computer with the supplied cable from Kenwood.

            Thanks

            Burt
            AF5AA
          • Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2012
              Burt AF5AA wrote...

              > I would like to see the WX symbol on the map...

              Per your later message, you have the WX symbol now selected.

              > Secondly, I am not seeing any stations on my map.

              http://aprs.fi/info/AF5AA%2A

              With what callsign-SSID are you not seeing any other stations on
              your map? Are you listening on RF only, or are you also connected
              to the APRS-IS? If you aren't getting anything from the radio, you
              could try taking APRSISCE out of the picture and connecting the
              radio (you mentioned later it is a D72) to a terminal program and
              seeing if it is decoding. I know that you can view received
              beacons on the D72 in APRS mode, but with it in packet mode, it
              would be nice to confirm that it is spitting decoded beacons out
              on the serial port. It would confirm that you know the com port
              number and the data rate to use in the APRS client.

              http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=AF5AA-13

              Looking at AF5AA-13... I know that you mentioned that you are
              new to this, but you should be aware that fixed stations should
              never use WIDE1-1. Neither should anything that flies. It is
              reserved for mobile stations. Fixed stations usually don't need
              any help in reaching a regular WIDEn-N digi. Fill-in digis respond
              to only WIDE1-1. What is a good mobile path isn't a good one
              for a fixed station. If you really need a two hop path, change to
              WIDE2-2. If a one hop path will spread your beacons far
              enough, consider using just WIDE2-1.

              It appears that AF5AA-13 is being used by more than one station.
              One is sending WX data and the other appears to be using MIC-E.

              If the D72 is decoding but nothing is showing up in APRSISCE, do
              you have a port configured for the D72?

              If it is also connected to the APRS-IS, check what filter you are
              using. For most servers, if you don't enter a filter, you won't
              get anything except the "keep alive" packets.

              > Our club station, W5BII, shows on other APRS maps.

              http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=W5BII&limit=50

              This one needs some work. According to the symbol it is a digi.
              However, it is beaconing with a path of WIDE,WIDE. The alias WIDE
              became obsolete 5+ years ago. Hopefully there are no other digis
              close to it that respond to WIDE but if there are, there could be
              lots of ping-ponging back and form as there wasn't any dupe
              checking with WIDE. The currently accepted two hop path would be
              WIDE2-2 but consider first if it really needs to be beaconing with
              a two hop path. It is also periodically using a path of TRACE4-4.
              This is also obsolete. A four hop path would also be considered
              abusive in most locations. I don't know what software of TNC the
              digi is using, but many can be programmed to vary the path
              length... e.g. send most beacons direct (no path) but once an
              hour, send one with a one or two hop path.

              > I have the D72 connected to the computer with the supplied
              > cable from Kenwood.

              As I mentioned above, confirm with a terminal program that the
              D72 is actually outputting decoded beacons on the serial cable.
              The radio should be in packet mode, not APRS mode. In APRS
              mode, the D72 is controlling the beaconing.

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            • Burt Sammis
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2012
                Thanks Keith for your info and suggestions.
                That particular repeater and controller has not been looked at for years.
                It just sits there and does it's thing.
                I have contacted our repeater coordinator to get him to change the path.
                I now have my APRSISCE running to my satisfaction.

                Thanks again
                Burt
                AF5AA

                To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com