Re: DF Manual "foxhunting" broke?

  • Pat KC6VVT Assistant SEC/IL
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2012
      Part II
      Note that there is a HFDF range limit of 512 mile maximum, which would seem to me that it would limit a line drawn from a DF station to the fox, or target.
      There is no way to edit that, and enter a known or approximate distance to extend any line of bearing from the DF station to any crossing point of other DF lines that should appear, or not.

      As an example, I uploaded a *.pos file of FCC DF station, easily converted them to objects by clicking on each (Very Well Done, Lynn) and entered a bearing. Alas, the created DF station object refused to compute the reciprocal bearing to ME when I centered the Multi-track map on the DF Station object and picked ME as the target. Sigh.

      73 de Pat KC6VVT

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2012
      • 1 Attachment
      • 164 KB
      I attached a screen capture of three I am putting out right now.

      I am not sure if it will help yet but it is a start.

       If you look for DF0, you will see one of mine. It ain't broke.
      This is the APRS.FI view:

      It doesn't show any lines but APRSISCE/32 does.

      Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2012
        I was trying to remember what I was doing when I did these quite a while ago.

        DF0 is a test from my current location.
        DFMWGL points from Mt Washington to Mt Greylock
        DFMWKT points from Mt Washington to Mt. Katahdin.

        If you look at them with your APRSISCE/32 instance you should see a slim wedgie leaving each site.

        I believe that pretty much wraps what can be done currently. So, they can be created (they are objects) and viewed in a client that allows viewing (I can see these on my -12/CE instance).
        APRS.IF will show the object but not the directional wedgie.

        Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2012
          No, and define interval (of time?)

          The moderator has disallowed file uploading. So, copy and paste this file to a *.pos file. It is close enough for fun only.
          FCC-DF.pos
          A-MI !4236.34N/08557.34W\FCC-DF Station Allegan, Michigan
          B-MA !4426.71N/06904.94W\FCC-DF Station Belfast, Maine
          C-NY !4254.80N/07715.96W\FCC-DF Station Canandaigua, New York
          D-AZ !3130.04N/10939.24W\FCC-DF Station Douglas, Arizona
          F-WA !4857.34N/12233.29W\FCC-DF Station Ferndale, Washington
          G-NE !4055.35N/09825.72W\FCC-DF Station Grand Island, Nebraska
          K-AK !6043.43N/15120.25W\FCC-DF Station Kenai, Alaska
          K-TX !2726.50N/09753.02W\/FCC-DF Station Kingsville, Texas
          L-MD !3909.91N/07649.27W\/FCC-DF Station Laurel, Maryland
          L-CA !3743.49N/12145.26W\FCC-DF Station Livermore, California
          P-GA !3351.74N/08443.43W\/FCC-DF Station Powder Springs, Georgia
          S-PR !1800.32N/06622.51W\FCC-DF Station Santa Isabel, Puerto Rico
          V-FL !2736.37N/08038.09W\FCC-DF Station Vero Beach, Florida
          W-HI !2122.56N/15759.74W\FCC-DF Station Waipahu, Hawai
          Have fun! It was on an old FCC posting awhile back. Close enough for HFDF practice, but did not want to put out on APRS-IS, so was doing it offline.
          73 de Pat KC6VVT

          Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2012
            Sigh? This is a work in progress and each feature takes time to put together. Much of it is based on how it is used and how often. I think you are the first to mention a " *.pos file of FCC DF station". Now that you have added more comment, more work may be done. How soon, is anyone's guess. For myself, when I get an RDF running, I would love to see an interface for it. But which unit gets focus? It doesn't seem like any of them are the "standard".

            Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2012
              It will work as an attachment.

              Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 2012
                Cool list! If you make it an object, click on it, then click on the dialog box that opens. In the box you can see the distance and direction from ME. It isn't a line with labels but the data is available.

                The station in Belfast Maine should be labeled B-ME. MA is Massachusetts.

                Message 8 of 14 , Jun 1, 2012
                  Have resolved Pat's desires via messaging (check KJ4ERJ-AL to KC6VVT messages at aprs.fi if interested).

                  He was wanting an easy way to plot a DF object AT the FCC position indicating what THEY would be seeing if they DF'd ME.  The "FromME:" is the opposite of that, and the entire DF subsystem is for plotting reception observations (bearing, range (estimated), and quality (width of wedge)) at a known location, not entering what your own station would sound like at some arbitrary receiver.

                  Message 9 of 14 , Jun 1, 2012
                    On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                    > He was wanting an easy way to plot a DF object AT the FCC position
                    > indicating what THEY would be seeing if they DF'd ME.  The "FromME:" is the
                    > opposite of that, and the entire DF subsystem is for plotting reception
                    > observations (bearing, range (estimated), and quality (width of wedge)) at a
                    > known location, not entering what your own station would sound like at some
                    > arbitrary receiver.

                    So Pat was after "Hound Baiting", not "Fox Hunting".

                    We haven't got that all figured out yet Pat!

                  • Pat KC6VVT Assistant SEC/IL
                    Message 10 of 14 , Jun 5, 2012
                      Corrected the FCC-DF List, Thanks, Fred.

                      A-MI !4236.34N/08557.34W\FCC-DF Station Allegan, Michigan
                      B-ME !4426.71N/06904.94W\FCC-DF Station Belfast, Maine
                      C-NY !4254.80N/07715.96W\FCC-DF Station Canandaigua, New York
                      D-AZ !3130.04N/10939.24W\FCC-DF Station Douglas, Arizona
                      F-WA !4857.34N/12233.29W\FCC-DF Station Ferndale, Washington
                      G-NE !4055.35N/09825.72W\FCC-DF Station Grand Island, Nebraska
                      K-AK !6043.43N/15120.25W\FCC-DF Station Kenai, Alaska
                      K-TX !2726.50N/09753.02W\FCC-DF Station Kingsville, Texas
                      L-MD !3909.91N/07649.27W\FCC-DF Station Laurel, Maryland
                      L-CA !3743.49N/12145.26W\FCC-DF Station Livermore, California
                      P-GA !3351.74N/08443.43W\FCC-DF Station Powder Springs, Georgia
                      S-PR !1800.32N/06622.51W\FCC-DF Station Santa Isabel, Puerto Rico
                      V-FL !2736.37N/08038.09W\FCC-DF Station Vero Beach, Florida
                      W-HI !2122.56N/15759.74W\FCC-DF Station Waipahu, Hawaii