Re: Log playback?

  • Pat KC6VVT Assistant SEC/IL
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 1, 2012
      Gee, if you had ever used DOS version, seeing it done would be slicker than me trying to paint a word picture of the process.
      And you did nail it with the slow/medium/fast playback that is available there, so I think you are putting me on.
      Ok, what would I do with it first.
      I come in out of the garden, and there may be off screen tracks of a balloon, or airplanes going to OshKosh, or hams going to Dayton, passerby mobiles, or an Alert from the County EOC. or APRS radio equipped local hospitals. This may have happened while I was away from my APRSIS32 terminal, with no trace of the event on screen!
      I can replay APRS DOS, with several files with an X amount of packets automatically saved in a DOS *.hst file that are date and time stamped in real packet format, and wow! I may have missed my APRS buddies passing by, and send them a text in real time APRS messaging, and go on with life. Or send a "mea culpa" to the local emergency coordinator who had the net shift from APRS mode at the hospitals to dual band voice use on those TM-D7OO/710 radios there, leaving no trace of their emergency APRS activation several hours earlier. Yes, this has happened, and I could have helped the hospital comm net had I known that Frontier had their long haul fiberoptic long distance cables dug up again. Or reconstruct a simple log of when the alert went out on APRS.
      Otherwise, APRSIS32 tracks erase after a set period of time, and is only useful in real time, with no clues left for the intermittent user of what happened earlier for the public service report.
      Or an easy way to visually demonstrate when each hospital/EOC was activated by the tell-tale APRS beacon it sent, time stamped. BTW, the APRS beacon used at area hospitals are the FAA designation of their helo pads with the correct location to home in on for Life-Flight, okay? And they don't show up on APRS.fi usually, for that matter.

      There ya go, and I have a test object file and can send these objects via RF or APRS IS in my APRSIS32 home system in real time fairly quickly, so thanks for that, Lynn.

      Hope this above is okay, forgive me if not stated very well. I was a first line blue collar foreman getting the equipment/technicians moving, and their net stations up and running in good comms as a priority in the way back. It is difficult for met to grasp that you need to know the "why" before you can "do" something that will meet too few APRS users and network needs, hi.
      Like Bob WB4APR, I believe APRS has a valid use in real time, and also as an emergency communications tool with displayable map information to facilitate that essential communication. Squack EMERGENCY status some time in APRS, and you might hear from some interesting people.
      If something is not readliy and simply usable, even in rudimentary form, with an instinctive feel and understanding, it is gonna be problematic to the average ham.
      And if APRS can send record traffic for the inevitable ARES "how can we do this better" post mortem analysis, better yet, as you have demonstrated yourself with your famous digipeater barrage analysis of bad balloon paths!
      APRS is only a hobby adjunct, after all, to the amateur radio service. Part of that service is emcomm networks. If I had your abilities in programming, my APRS version would be far worse than you have managed to date, that is for sure! And I have yet to attempt taking APRSIS32 along mobile on ANY platform.

      So don't worry about it. Only the RACES folks need replay for the cover their butt exercise review, anyway.

      Keep up the fine business, Lynn.

      73 de Pat KC6VVT

      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 1, 2012
        On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

        > PS.  Sorry for the delay in answering, but I'm on vacation and only
        > process e-mail during breaks.  Sometimes I might miss a message or two.

        Sounds like a tough vacation if you have to take breaks from it!

        Pat laid out the concept very nicely.

        Think about us chasing a balloon... it would be neat to be able to
        capture the balloon flight, along with the chase and recovery vehicles
        for later playback. You could watch the balloon flying away from the
        launch site, then the chase vehicles take off towards the recovery
        area, watch them wait for the balloon to burst, and then if necessary
        the repositioning for recovery, and final move to the touchdown
        location.

        (Of course our chase and recoveries are pretty silly looking because I
        can not convince the rest of the chase crews to spread out and
        surround the anticipated landing area. It usually ends up being a big
        old parade out to the balloon on the ground. It's always "Follow
        James, he'll get us there!")

        Another more important use would be for post-mortem analysis of events
        such as ARES deployments. Being able to see where people went, and
        whether better pre-positioning, or deployment could have been achieved
        would be very handy.

        When replaying, a date/clock showing playback time would be good to
        have so you can tell when things were happening. Replay of messaging
        during the playback would be handy.

        Of course there are far more frivolous uses of replay to be had as well.

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 1, 2012
          On 6/1/2012 7:59 PM, James Ewen wrote:
          > On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)<kj4erj@...> wrote:
          >
          >> PS. Sorry for the delay in answering, but I'm on vacation and only
          >> process e-mail during breaks. Sometimes I might miss a message or two.
          > Sounds like a tough vacation if you have to take breaks from it!

          Let's see:

          Monday: 6.2 mile hike along the Appalachian Trail and SOTA activation
          from Clingman's Dome

          Tuesday: White Water rapids trip, Bush's Beans gift shop, Clint's BBQ

          Wednesday: 11 mile loop 2 hour bike ride through Cades Cove and
          subsequent drive through gravel/dirt mountain roads, Early Father's Day
          rack of ribs

          Thursday: Drop son for another White Water trip, drive up into the
          mountains for a picnic with my wife, see live Elk in Chatahoochee, see
          Synchronized Fireflies at the peak of their activity
          (http://tinyurl.com/5lysjq)

          Friday: So far: walked off my legs & hips, talked out my voice, worked
          out my arms, wore out my seat & legs, stayed up late, and put more miles
          on non-paved roads than the pioneers - Yep, time for a break

          Saturday: Planned pontoon boating on Douglas Lake, Maybe geocaching,
          evening Mass

          Sunday: Road trip from Galinburg to Johnstown, PA

          Next week: Maybe triple SOTA activation of W3/SV-001, SV-003, and
          SV-004. Travel back home.

        • Bob Burns W9RXR
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 2, 2012
            At 11:41 AM 6/1/2012, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

            >APRSISCE/32 does not currently have any ability to play back log files.

            I hear by ask that this feature be added to the request list. (I see
            James already did.)

            In addition to the scenarios that James and I described, I've been
            giving presentations at local ham clubs about APRS and would like the
            ability to play back some sort of pre-captured log file during my
            presentation. There is great visual impact in having an animated
            display running on the screen, but some venues are conducive to
            setting up a live APRS station and some aren't. I know UI-View can do
            log playback, but I've all but abandoned UI-View.

            >That said, if you had done a Save Track on the particular stations
            >of interest, then you'd be able to load the resulting *.GPX files to
            >see their individual tracks later.

            Argh! If only I had known that. I will keep it in mind for future events.

            >The *.PKT file is the output from Enables / Ports / Log All and
            >contains the raw packets received by any RF port, in pure time
            >sequence, and no APRS-IS received packets.

            Well, that might be useful. I'll dig into it and see if I can find a
            way to implement Fred's suggestion to turn it into a .GPX file.

            From another reply:

            >Or is it more important to see it playing out in real (or double or
            >triple) time as the event unfolded?

            Yes, being able to play back at faster speeds would be good.

            As James has mentioned before, one can learn a lot about the local RF
            infrastructure by looking at the packets bouncing around on RF. For
            example, the parade I mentioned is held in downtown Indianapolis
            where we have a few tall buildings. I was concerned that the digi
            closest to downtown might not hear all of the packets. What I noticed
            in real time was that both the downtown digi and the area
            high-profile digi were hearing some our packets. But, it would be
            nice to play back those packets to further examine what was going on.

            And, as mentioned elsewhere, if I had an APRS log to playback, I
            could "prove" the timeline of this particular event by being able to
            see the positions of golf carts as they moved during the event. I
            would then be able to correlate that position timeline with the paper
            logs of message traffic during the event.

            >PS. Sorry for the delay in answering, but I'm on vacation and only
            >process e-mail during breaks.

            As James said, if you are checking, and responding to, "work" email,
            it's not much of a va-ca. Take a break. Relax. De-compress. We can wait.

            That said, I've noticed that the message volume on this list is so
            high that if an issue or question doesn't get addressed in the first
            24 hours, it very quickly vanishes from the radar screen. That's why
            I bumped my question. Thanks for the responses.

            Bob...
          • ksaves2@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
              I was scoping out the vagaries of messaging in the group. Trying to find a wiki to see if APRSIS32 can stuff all the messages in a file so I can just click on 'em sequentially rather than have to scroll/click, scroll/click on the messages pull-down.

              Anywho, I believe UI-View and Xastir definitely have playback and maybe YAAC though I'm not so sure of the latter.

              Kurt KC9LDH

              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                Help me out here, what does playback have to do with the messaging
                interface? Got me confused here.

                Lynn (D) - K4JERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                On 7/4/2012 12:27 PM, ksaves2@... wrote:
                > I was scoping out the vagaries of messaging in the group. Trying to find a wiki to see if APRSIS32 can stuff all the messages in a file so I can just click on 'em sequentially rather than have to scroll/click, scroll/click on the messages pull-down.
                >
                > Anywho, I believe UI-View and Xastir definitely have playback and maybe YAAC though I'm not so sure of the latter.
                >
                > Kurt KC9LDH
                >
                > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen<ve6srv@...> wrote:
                >> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)<kj4erj@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>> PS. Sorry for the delay in answering, but I'm on vacation and only
                >>> process e-mail during breaks. Sometimes I might miss a message or two.
                >> Sounds like a tough vacation if you have to take breaks from it!
                >>
                >> Pat laid out the concept very nicely.
                >>
                >> Think about us chasing a balloon... it would be neat to be able to
                >> capture the balloon flight, along with the chase and recovery vehicles
                >> for later playback. You could watch the balloon flying away from the
                >> launch site, then the chase vehicles take off towards the recovery
                >> area, watch them wait for the balloon to burst, and then if necessary
                >> the repositioning for recovery, and final move to the touchdown
                >> location.
                >>
                >> (Of course our chase and recoveries are pretty silly looking because I
                >> can not convince the rest of the chase crews to spread out and
                >> surround the anticipated landing area. It usually ends up being a big
                >> old parade out to the balloon on the ground. It's always "Follow
                >> James, he'll get us there!")
                >>
                >> Another more important use would be for post-mortem analysis of events
                >> such as ARES deployments. Being able to see where people went, and
                >> whether better pre-positioning, or deployment could have been achieved
                >> would be very handy.
                >>
                >> When replaying, a date/clock showing playback time would be good to
                >> have so you can tell when things were happening. Replay of messaging
                >> during the playback would be handy.
                >>
                >> Of course there are far more frivolous uses of replay to be had as well.
                >>
                >> --
                >> James
                >> VE6SRV

              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                  Lynn K4JERJ wrote...

                  > Help me out here, what does playback have to do with the
                  > messaging interface? Got me confused here.

                  Right, there is more than one kind of playback. Going by the
                  subject, it could be playback of a log file. UI-View, can log
                  everything, but not just one particular station. Perhaps you could
                  add that ability. In relation to messages, perhaps he was referring
                  to it having the messages read to him via a synthesized voice on the
                  speaker. Kinda nice if you are multi-tasking or driving or otherwise
                  occupied. Or he could just be referring to scrolling a list of past
                  received (or sent) messages and viewing them... or having it
                  save a copy of messages so they could be viewed after a restart.

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                    On 7/4/2012 3:52 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                    > Lynn K4JERJ wrote...
                    >
                    >> Help me out here, what does playback have to do with the
                    >> messaging interface? Got me confused here.
                    > In relation to messages, perhaps he was referring
                    > to it having the messages read to him via a synthesized voice on the
                    > speaker. Kinda nice if you are multi-tasking or driving or otherwise
                    > occupied. Or he could just be referring to scrolling a list of past
                    > received (or sent) messages and viewing them...

                    Got a Win32/WinMo API for text-to-speech you can point me to?

                    > or having it
                    > save a copy of messages so they could be viewed after a restart.

                    In my mind if not on my ToDo list. Especially saving and
                    recalling/restarting unacknowledged pending outbound messages.

                  • Kim
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                      Hi All,

                      I would find it very usefull to be able to revisit messages that have been previously read.. I often go back to old messages if I happen to remember the callsign of the station involved..

                      So the useful feature would be single place to look at all old messages.. I am mainly interested in those that have been in the current run of the program... not woried so much about having them saved and reviewable over a restart.. It's more about remembering the call sign than any thing else..

                      Once I have the call, If I need to see the actual messages I can access them on aprs.fi...

                      ... For me this is NOT a high priority feature, but something for the todo list, to be done well after the IS-RF work....

                      73 Kim

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                        Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

                        > Got a Win32/WinMo API for text-to-speech you can point me to?

                        It's a standard feature in UI-View to be able to have it "speak"
                        messages directed to the users callsign-SSID, but for it to actually
                        work, the user must install Microsoft's MS Agent. There's a link
                        in the help, so it's easy for the user to go and grab it. There's an
                        option to have it also "speak" bulletins as well as messages.

                        www.microsoft.com/msagent

                        Without MS Agent installed, there is an option to play a WAV file
                        when a new message comes in, or to play a custom WAV file... e.g.
                        KJ4ERJ .WAV if a message from you was installed. The message
                        window can also pop up to the foreground when a message comes
                        in. This can be a nice feature or a nuisance if you are multi-tasking
                        and trying to get something else done while someone else peppers
                        you with a whole series of messages. 8-)

                        There are also options to have it save messages. With this enabled,
                        the user can view a folder where the messages are stored under
                        the callsign of the sender. It can also save bulletins.

                        To send a message, the user would either type in the callsign in
                        the TO field, and select port I (Internet) or 1 (one) for RF if there's
                        just one radio port and type the message in and hit send. Alternatively,
                        they could double-click on a received message to automatically
                        enter the callsign in the TO field. Yet another option is to right-click
                        on a station on the map and choose "send message". Actually there
                        are quite a right-click options for clicking on a station including
                        the ability to add custom "right click URLs" such as to look up
                        a particular callsign, or to view the station in findu.com or
                        aprs.fi, or to view the raw data at either site. A station can be
                        pinged or queried from a right click.

                        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                      • KE6BB
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                          Maybe the ability to scroll back thru previously received messages rather than the program forgetting them as soon as they are read, like it does now? That might be easy (at least in the minds of us non-programmers <grin>). Lynn might even be able to make it a user configurable parameter where you could set it, i.e. "Keep last XX messages", and once the buffer has XX messages in it, it would start deleting the oldest ones first. Maybe a time parameter would be better, "Keep messages less than YYY minutes old." Just a thought.

                          Mark
                          KE6BB

                          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <vk2asy@...> wrote:

                          > Hi All,
                          >
                          > I would find it very usefull to be able to revisit messages that have been previously read.. I often go back to old messages if I happen to remember the callsign of the station involved..
                          >
                          > So the useful feature would be single place to look at all old messages.. I am mainly interested in those that have been in the current run of the program... not woried so much about having them saved and reviewable over a restart.. It's more about remembering the call sign than any thing else..
                          >
                          > Once I have the call, If I need to see the actual messages I can access them on aprs.fi...
                          >
                          > ... For me this is NOT a high priority feature, but something for the todo list, to be done well after the IS-RF work....
                          >
                          > 73 Kim

                        • Keith VE7GDH
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                            Mark KE6BB wrote...

                            > Maybe the ability to scroll back thru previously received messages...

                            Just for those that haven't used UI-View, that program has a separate
                            "message" window. Sent and received messages can be viewed, and
                            you can right-click on them to see the time of receipt. They disappear
                            and are gone if the program is shut down, but there is an option to
                            save received messages. From the "messages" window, you can
                            "read messages" to view messages saved on the hard drive. They
                            are saved in a folder named MESSAGES below where UI-View
                            is installed. There is a separate file for each callsign that has sent
                            you a message. Your sent messages are saved there too. The
                            messages are saved in a text file and it uses Notepad to view the
                            file. The date / time is shown, followed by the message. It must
                            be hard-coded to use Notepad as it isn't my default text editor.
                            One way of initiating a message is to right-click on a station on
                            the map view and select "send a message" from the menu.

                            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                          • Kurt Savegnago
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                              Sat down today and tooled around with APRSIS32 on one screen and the wiki on the other.  Just had an internet connection up though I've run it with a serial GPS and with a D7A(g) and a D72A attached in a simple mode.

                              Was messing with the filters and such and I somehow lost the ability to receive objects though APRS-IS is O.K.  It did receive objects from the IS before I sat down and starting banging away and making changes to some of the menu items. I do have a simple internet only setup at the office I could scroll through the menus and see what I've done but I've banged my head over a couple of hours and can't seem to get the objects to display.

                              I mean the objects transmitted by outside local stations.  I have an Xastir setup transmitting an object  I know is hitting the digi that's 400yds. away and making it to APRS.fi.  I'm not talking about objects generated locally on the APRSIS32 setup.  I do like the ability to turn the objects on and off actually.

                              Earlier in the day, I was receiving that object on this APRSIS32 setup over the internet but now that capability is gone and I don't know what I messed up in the menu!  Drat.      Is there a distance setting in the menu that I might have set incorrectly so Objects at a certain distance aren't displayed?   I'm racking my brain on this one.                        Kurt KC9LDH
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                                Please close your client and e-mail your APRSIS32.XML file to KJ4ERJ@....  I can check it out and see what I can make of it.  But, there are some options:

                                1) Make sure you have View / All checked.

                                2) Double-check your Configure / General / Range and remember that it is expressed in 1/10 mile increments.  50 is only 5 miles, 500 is 50 miles.

                                3) Make sure ME is in the right place, use Screen / Follow / ME to see where it is.  If it is wrong, then drag/zoom to where you should be, hit Transmit and then confirm the intent to Move ME to Center.

                                4) Check what all you might have in Configure / General / Add Filter.  In particular, watch out for minus (-) filter elements that would exclude certain things from coming from APRS-IS.  Especially look for -t/o which would eliminate all object packet.

                                Those are the ones that come quickly to mind.  If all else fails, just close the client, delete your APRSIS32.XML file, and restart.  Reconfigure and all should be well.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                                  Fixed,

                                    It was the range I had set wrong.  Stupidhead here didn't "get" the 1/10th mile thing.:-0
                                  I "get" it now and won't likely forget. :-)

                                                                    Kurt KC9LDH

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 5, 2012
                                      Lynn,

                                      it would be also handy for those of us familiar more with km than miles to have it scaled in km.
                                      If possible this parameter could be integrated in Configure -> Metrics menu for example.
                                      --
                                      Regards,

                                      Krzysztof
                                      SQ5NWI