Re: [aprsisce] Re: Foxhunt (Radio Direction Finding) Feature Request

    Message 1 of 39 , Jun 1, 2012
      On 5/31/2012 7:41 AM, JP wrote:
      > Lynn,
      >
      > It is hard to determine from reading this thread what was added, if anything, to APRSISCE so support the Agrello DF Jr format. There is discussion of the original APRS Specification.

      APRSISCE/32 is first trying to implement all of the various and
      disparate APRS specifications, including the entry, use, and display of
      the several DF support formats.

      > It appears that this format is somewhat the defacto standard or at least very popular for doppler direction finding equipment.

      I don't know about the equipment, but AFAIK, APRS implements pretty much
      the basic information you'd use for plotting a DF exercise on paper.
      Direction of strongest signal and an estimate of the accuracy expressed
      as an angular width from that center. Once I get back from vacation
      I'll try to resurrect how to create the 2 kinds of DF objects in
      APRSISCE/32 and get it into the Wiki, unless someone b

      > Can APRSISCE be used or integrated with Doppler Direction Finding hardware and software?

      No, I'm not currently interfacing with any particular DF hardware or
      software. The current implementation requires the operator to read
      their DF instruments (or estimate with a hand-held Yagi) and enter the
      data into APRSISCE/32.

> [...]
      >>
      >> Doppler Systems 5900.
      >> BBB<cr>
      >> Q<cr>
      >>
      >> Agrello DF message format :
      >> %BBB/Q<cr>
      >>
      >> More detail below on both formats.
      >>
      >> Doppler Systems message format :
      >> Configure (Port Settings): Bits per second = 4800, data bits = 8, parity = none, stop bits = 1, flow
      >> control = none.
      >> Settings: Emulation = ANSI.
      >> ASCII Setup, ASCII Sending: Send line ends with line feeds, echo typed characters locally, line
      >> delay = 0, character delay = 0.
      >> ASCII Setup, ASCII Receiving: Append line feeds to incoming line ends, wrap lines that exceed
      >> terminal width.
      >>
      >> Bearing Data sent from the direction finder to the PC
      >>
      >> With a signal tuned in, the direction finder sends a single character message followed by a carriage
      >>
      >> return for the S-meter and a three character message followed by a carriage return for a bearing
      >>
      >> message. The characters used are standard ASCII (hex 31 = "1", etc.). When the signal strength is
      >>
      >> the ASCII character ":" (hex 3A) is sent.
      >>
      >> These message alternate as long as a signal is being received, so the display should look something
      >>
      >> like:
      >> 005
      >> 8
      >> 006
      >> 9
      >> 005
      >> :
      >> etc.
      >>
      >> Agrello DF message format :
      >> %BBB/Q<cr>
      >> Where
      >> %= message start character
      >> BBB = signal bearing degrees ( 000-359 )
      >> Q = signal quality ( 0-9 ) ( fixed @ 7 in this design )
      >> <cr> = carriage return
      >> The RS232 message is transmitted at 4800 baud, with an 8N2 byte format.
      >>
      >> Thanks,
      >> Mike
      >> N1OMJ
      >>

      >> --- Inaprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "czajkaej"<czajkaej@> wrote:
      >>> I have an Idea for Fox Hunting that should be pretty easy from a programming prospective. Here it is:
      >>>
      >>> Add the ability to drop a way-point at the current location, then have the program ask for an approximate bearing (Magnetic or True), then draw a line in that direction to overlay on the map. Perhaps adding a number to the way-point so you can see your progression of plots.
      >>>
      >>> I currently do this on a printed map of my town, inside a page protector, and I use a dry erase marker. I think it would be really cool to be able to do something similar within APRSISCE. Especially with the ability to zoom in.
      >>>
      >>> On an advanced side of programming, you could make it more than a line, instead a wedge that is like 5 degrees wide. Perhaps set the distance to project (x number of miles), and fade the projection from each way-point progressively.

      >>> Ed

      Message 39 of 39 , Jun 1, 2012
        On 5/31/2012 7:41 AM, JP wrote:
> [...]

        >>> I have an Idea for Fox Hunting that should be pretty easy from a programming prospective. Here it is:
        >>>
        >>> Add the ability to drop a way-point at the current location, then have the program ask for an approximate bearing (Magnetic or True), then draw a line in that direction to overlay on the map. Perhaps adding a number to the way-point so you can see your progression of plots.
        >>>
        >>> I currently do this on a printed map of my town, inside a page protector, and I use a dry erase marker. I think it would be really cool to be able to do something similar within APRSISCE. Especially with the ability to zoom in.
        >>>
        >>> On an advanced side of programming, you could make it more than a line, instead a wedge that is like 5 degrees wide. Perhaps set the distance to project (x number of miles), and fade the projection from each way-point progressively.

        >>> Ed