Re: [aprsisce] Re: Frequency Monitor Popup "red square" symbol

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
      On 6/1/2012 1:03 PM, Pat KC6VVT Assistant SEC/IL wrote:
      > Now, there are two area digipeaters sending two different local repeater frequencies for the mobile APRS passerby. A little red square surrounds both the separate antenna symbols.

      The little red square indicates that APRSISCE/32 has detected some Issue
      with the station's transmitted frequency syntax.

      > One is 146.955RR and when selected in the program has something like 'bad case' (Mhz vice MHz?)

      146.955RR says "146.955Mhz" at the start of the comment. The FTM-350
      requires MHz (note the capital H) in order to activate the QTY/Tune
      function. Hence the "*MHzCase*" issue displayed by APRSISCE/32. In
      addition, they are using a non-standard offset and PL in the comment. A
      standard-compliant specification would replace the "146.955Mhz (
      -600Khz, 103.5 PL)" with the (much shorter) following (T103 is Wide FM,
      t103 would be Narrow FM):

      146.955MHz T103 -060

      > Another W9MKS-3 has 'no MHz' but MHz is there with no space after the last digit (147.120MHz).

      W9MKS-3 has "147.12 P T013"... in their comment and APRSISCE/32 displays
      "*NoMHz*" as an issue because there is no MHz in the beacon comment.
      The Freq: 147.120MHz that is displayed is generated by APRSISCE/32 and
      it's "loose" parser gleaning for anything that might be a frequency.
      While I don't know what the P is in the comment, a standards-compliant
      comment would be:

      147.120MHz T103

      And I personally recommend including the offset, even if it is
      considered "standard" for the local area. For instance, I have no idea
      if it would be +060 or -060 for entering into my non-localized,
      non-standard-offset-supporting UV-3R in order to use this repeater.

      > Thirdly, my own mobile Status comment beacon on KC6VVT-14 using an old TM-D700A without the autofrequency changer option of the later TM-D710 has 'listening 146.52/446.0 or local repeater' that also gets tagged with the red square. While this may be clear to the mobile packet reader, what I really would like is to be called on the APRS Alert frequency of 144.390 MHz Simplex with 100.0 Hz PL.

      Your comment gives no indication of "Voice Alert" so there's no way
      someone that receives it on a non-voice-alert rig would have any clue to
      do what you'd prefer. And if you don't want to be flagged with a red
      square, just make your comment "Local repeater or 146.52/446.0" and the
      frequency parser won't even detect the frequency at the start. (At
      least, not until I start sniffing entire comments for anything that
      smells like a frequency spec, but I probably won't flag those as issues
      because they don't even remotely appear to be trying to be standard
      which has the frequency listed first).

      > What is the best syntax to use that conveys that I am using that APRS Alert while mobile, and call me there, and also try or a calling frequency for FM?

      AFAIK, there is no suggested standard syntax for flagging voice alert.
      If someone is using it, they expect calls from others that are listening
      for it. It's only your "really would like is" qualifier that would even
      suggest that you might want to put it in the text. If I were in your
      position, I'd probably just make my comment something like "146.520MHz
      or 446.0 or local repeater" and keep your tone on 144.390. It doesn't
      express your preference, but doesn't it make more sense for people to
      just call you on 146.520 straight away instead of calling on 144.390
      just to arrange a frequency change? The "146.520MHz" will satisfy the
      FTM-350 requirement (and Kenwoods can use it to) and the "or" will stop
      the frequency parser(s) from generating any complaints about the
      additional frequency coming later.

      > Over?

      Back to you.

      > 73 de Pat KC6VVT
      >

      > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Adam Mahnke<kc2ant@...> wrote:
      >> Lynn,
      >>
      >> Had something interesting happen recently, not sure if it's a windows thing or an APRSIS32 thing.
      >>
      >> APRSIS32 running minimized, freq monitor enabled.
      >>
      >> When a frequency is received it activates the the monitor as designed. (Minimized)
      >> When attempting to restore the APRSIS32 window by clicking on the task bar it only restores the freq monitor window.
      >>
      >> Once I close the freq monitor and then click on the task bar APRSIS32 restores as normal.
      >>
      >> Not a big deal, just not sure where the cause of this is.
      >>
      >> Adam
      >> KC2ANT

    • Pat KC6VVT Assistant SEC/IL
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
        Thanks, Lynn, will try your suggestion on my mobile first. I have to have a working area example first, before I can pass on that knowledge to others who set this up based on an old example....
        73 de Pat KC6VVT

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
          I'd suggest doing your own, but hold off on telling others for now.
          There's some folks that are working up a complete compatibility test for
          all APRS-compatible radios whose results we can use to help persuade
          others as to the importance of absolute spec compliance for largest
          possible usefulness of the information.