Re: Log playback?

  • Pat KC6VVT Assistant SEC/IL
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 1, 2012
      Regarding that '*.pkt' file, one of these days I am going to copy one and try and replay it in APRS Dos.

      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 1, 2012
        If/when APRSISCE/32 supports file playback, it'll almost assuredly be
        based on a raw packet dump, no special formatting required.

        Currently, you CAN save tracks as standard GPX files which are then
        viewable either in APRSISCE/32 (latest version) or any other GPX file
        viewer which makes them a much more portable format.

        Maybe something that saves all !shriek!ed stations' tracks into a single
        GPX file would assist in being able to see the total event after the fact?

        Or is it more important to see it playing out in real (or double or
        triple) time as the event unfolded?

        I'm trying to understand just what you plan to DO with such log files.

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 1, 2012
          Probably the wrong format unless you massage it based on the sample you
          posted earlier.

          On 6/1/2012 12:39 PM, Pat KC6VVT Assistant SEC/IL wrote:
          > Regarding that '*.pkt' file, one of these days I am going to copy one and try and replay it in APRS Dos.
          >
          > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)"<kj4erj@...> wrote:
          >> APRSISCE/32 does not currently have any ability to play back log
          >> files. In fact, I doubt if any of the particular logs would have
          >> exactly what you're after.
          >>
          >> That said, if you had done a Save Track on the particular stations of
          >> interest, then you'd be able to load the resulting *.GPX files to see
          >> their individual tracks later.
          >>
          >> The *.PKT file is the output from Enables / Ports / Log All and contains
          >> the raw packets received by any RF port, in pure time sequence, and no
          >> APRS-IS received packets.

          >> PS. Sorry for the delay in answering, but I'm on vacation and only
          >> process e-mail during breaks. Sometimes I might miss a message or two.

          >>> Lynn? Anyone?
          >>>
          >>> Our local ham radio group provided communications for the
          >>> Indianapolis 500 Festival Parade last Saturday. Our primary job is
          >>> shuttling parade participants from the first aid tents along the
          >>> route to the medical command tent using golf carts. Each of the golf
          >>> carts is driven by a ham who has APRS. I was the Net Control operator
          >>> for the golf carts and was running APRSIS/32 so I could see where
          >>> they were. I'd like to play back the log from that day to study the
          >>> golf cart movements and identify where we might have RF issues.
          >>>
          >>> Thanks.
          >>>
          >>> Bob...

        • Pat KC6VVT Assistant SEC/IL
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 1, 2012
            Gee, if you had ever used DOS version, seeing it done would be slicker than me trying to paint a word picture of the process.
            And you did nail it with the slow/medium/fast playback that is available there, so I think you are putting me on.
            Ok, what would I do with it first.
            I come in out of the garden, and there may be off screen tracks of a balloon, or airplanes going to OshKosh, or hams going to Dayton, passerby mobiles, or an Alert from the County EOC. or APRS radio equipped local hospitals. This may have happened while I was away from my APRSIS32 terminal, with no trace of the event on screen!
            I can replay APRS DOS, with several files with an X amount of packets automatically saved in a DOS *.hst file that are date and time stamped in real packet format, and wow! I may have missed my APRS buddies passing by, and send them a text in real time APRS messaging, and go on with life. Or send a "mea culpa" to the local emergency coordinator who had the net shift from APRS mode at the hospitals to dual band voice use on those TM-D7OO/710 radios there, leaving no trace of their emergency APRS activation several hours earlier. Yes, this has happened, and I could have helped the hospital comm net had I known that Frontier had their long haul fiberoptic long distance cables dug up again. Or reconstruct a simple log of when the alert went out on APRS.
            Otherwise, APRSIS32 tracks erase after a set period of time, and is only useful in real time, with no clues left for the intermittent user of what happened earlier for the public service report.
            Or an easy way to visually demonstrate when each hospital/EOC was activated by the tell-tale APRS beacon it sent, time stamped. BTW, the APRS beacon used at area hospitals are the FAA designation of their helo pads with the correct location to home in on for Life-Flight, okay? And they don't show up on APRS.fi usually, for that matter.

            There ya go, and I have a test object file and can send these objects via RF or APRS IS in my APRSIS32 home system in real time fairly quickly, so thanks for that, Lynn.

            Hope this above is okay, forgive me if not stated very well. I was a first line blue collar foreman getting the equipment/technicians moving, and their net stations up and running in good comms as a priority in the way back. It is difficult for met to grasp that you need to know the "why" before you can "do" something that will meet too few APRS users and network needs, hi.
            Like Bob WB4APR, I believe APRS has a valid use in real time, and also as an emergency communications tool with displayable map information to facilitate that essential communication. Squack EMERGENCY status some time in APRS, and you might hear from some interesting people.
            If something is not readliy and simply usable, even in rudimentary form, with an instinctive feel and understanding, it is gonna be problematic to the average ham.
            And if APRS can send record traffic for the inevitable ARES "how can we do this better" post mortem analysis, better yet, as you have demonstrated yourself with your famous digipeater barrage analysis of bad balloon paths!
            APRS is only a hobby adjunct, after all, to the amateur radio service. Part of that service is emcomm networks. If I had your abilities in programming, my APRS version would be far worse than you have managed to date, that is for sure! And I have yet to attempt taking APRSIS32 along mobile on ANY platform.

            So don't worry about it. Only the RACES folks need replay for the cover their butt exercise review, anyway.

            Keep up the fine business, Lynn.

            73 de Pat KC6VVT

            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 1, 2012
              On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

              > PS.  Sorry for the delay in answering, but I'm on vacation and only
              > process e-mail during breaks.  Sometimes I might miss a message or two.

              Sounds like a tough vacation if you have to take breaks from it!

              Pat laid out the concept very nicely.

              Think about us chasing a balloon... it would be neat to be able to
              capture the balloon flight, along with the chase and recovery vehicles
              for later playback. You could watch the balloon flying away from the
              launch site, then the chase vehicles take off towards the recovery
              area, watch them wait for the balloon to burst, and then if necessary
              the repositioning for recovery, and final move to the touchdown
              location.

              (Of course our chase and recoveries are pretty silly looking because I
              can not convince the rest of the chase crews to spread out and
              surround the anticipated landing area. It usually ends up being a big
              old parade out to the balloon on the ground. It's always "Follow
              James, he'll get us there!")

              Another more important use would be for post-mortem analysis of events
              such as ARES deployments. Being able to see where people went, and
              whether better pre-positioning, or deployment could have been achieved
              would be very handy.

              When replaying, a date/clock showing playback time would be good to
              have so you can tell when things were happening. Replay of messaging
              during the playback would be handy.

              Of course there are far more frivolous uses of replay to be had as well.

              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 1, 2012
                On 6/1/2012 7:59 PM, James Ewen wrote:
                > On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)<kj4erj@...> wrote:
                >
                >> PS. Sorry for the delay in answering, but I'm on vacation and only
                >> process e-mail during breaks. Sometimes I might miss a message or two.
                > Sounds like a tough vacation if you have to take breaks from it!

                Let's see:

                Monday: 6.2 mile hike along the Appalachian Trail and SOTA activation
                from Clingman's Dome

                Tuesday: White Water rapids trip, Bush's Beans gift shop, Clint's BBQ

                Wednesday: 11 mile loop 2 hour bike ride through Cades Cove and
                subsequent drive through gravel/dirt mountain roads, Early Father's Day
                rack of ribs

                Thursday: Drop son for another White Water trip, drive up into the
                mountains for a picnic with my wife, see live Elk in Chatahoochee, see
                Synchronized Fireflies at the peak of their activity
                (http://tinyurl.com/5lysjq)

                Friday: So far: walked off my legs & hips, talked out my voice, worked
                out my arms, wore out my seat & legs, stayed up late, and put more miles
                on non-paved roads than the pioneers - Yep, time for a break

                Saturday: Planned pontoon boating on Douglas Lake, Maybe geocaching,
                evening Mass

                Sunday: Road trip from Galinburg to Johnstown, PA

                Next week: Maybe triple SOTA activation of W3/SV-001, SV-003, and
                SV-004. Travel back home.

              • Bob Burns W9RXR
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 2, 2012
                  At 11:41 AM 6/1/2012, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

                  >APRSISCE/32 does not currently have any ability to play back log files.

                  I hear by ask that this feature be added to the request list. (I see
                  James already did.)

                  In addition to the scenarios that James and I described, I've been
                  giving presentations at local ham clubs about APRS and would like the
                  ability to play back some sort of pre-captured log file during my
                  presentation. There is great visual impact in having an animated
                  display running on the screen, but some venues are conducive to
                  setting up a live APRS station and some aren't. I know UI-View can do
                  log playback, but I've all but abandoned UI-View.

                  >That said, if you had done a Save Track on the particular stations
                  >of interest, then you'd be able to load the resulting *.GPX files to
                  >see their individual tracks later.

                  Argh! If only I had known that. I will keep it in mind for future events.

                  >The *.PKT file is the output from Enables / Ports / Log All and
                  >contains the raw packets received by any RF port, in pure time
                  >sequence, and no APRS-IS received packets.

                  Well, that might be useful. I'll dig into it and see if I can find a
                  way to implement Fred's suggestion to turn it into a .GPX file.

                  From another reply:

                  >Or is it more important to see it playing out in real (or double or
                  >triple) time as the event unfolded?

                  Yes, being able to play back at faster speeds would be good.

                  As James has mentioned before, one can learn a lot about the local RF
                  infrastructure by looking at the packets bouncing around on RF. For
                  example, the parade I mentioned is held in downtown Indianapolis
                  where we have a few tall buildings. I was concerned that the digi
                  closest to downtown might not hear all of the packets. What I noticed
                  in real time was that both the downtown digi and the area
                  high-profile digi were hearing some our packets. But, it would be
                  nice to play back those packets to further examine what was going on.

                  And, as mentioned elsewhere, if I had an APRS log to playback, I
                  could "prove" the timeline of this particular event by being able to
                  see the positions of golf carts as they moved during the event. I
                  would then be able to correlate that position timeline with the paper
                  logs of message traffic during the event.

                  >PS. Sorry for the delay in answering, but I'm on vacation and only
                  >process e-mail during breaks.

                  As James said, if you are checking, and responding to, "work" email,
                  it's not much of a va-ca. Take a break. Relax. De-compress. We can wait.

                  That said, I've noticed that the message volume on this list is so
                  high that if an issue or question doesn't get addressed in the first
                  24 hours, it very quickly vanishes from the radar screen. That's why
                  I bumped my question. Thanks for the responses.

                  Bob...
                • ksaves2@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                    I was scoping out the vagaries of messaging in the group. Trying to find a wiki to see if APRSIS32 can stuff all the messages in a file so I can just click on 'em sequentially rather than have to scroll/click, scroll/click on the messages pull-down.

                    Anywho, I believe UI-View and Xastir definitely have playback and maybe YAAC though I'm not so sure of the latter.

                    Kurt KC9LDH

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                      Help me out here, what does playback have to do with the messaging
                      interface? Got me confused here.

                      Lynn (D) - K4JERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                      On 7/4/2012 12:27 PM, ksaves2@... wrote:
                      > I was scoping out the vagaries of messaging in the group. Trying to find a wiki to see if APRSIS32 can stuff all the messages in a file so I can just click on 'em sequentially rather than have to scroll/click, scroll/click on the messages pull-down.
                      >
                      > Anywho, I believe UI-View and Xastir definitely have playback and maybe YAAC though I'm not so sure of the latter.
                      >
                      > Kurt KC9LDH
                      >
                      > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen<ve6srv@...> wrote:
                      >> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)<kj4erj@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> PS. Sorry for the delay in answering, but I'm on vacation and only
                      >>> process e-mail during breaks. Sometimes I might miss a message or two.
                      >> Sounds like a tough vacation if you have to take breaks from it!
                      >>
                      >> Pat laid out the concept very nicely.
                      >>
                      >> Think about us chasing a balloon... it would be neat to be able to
                      >> capture the balloon flight, along with the chase and recovery vehicles
                      >> for later playback. You could watch the balloon flying away from the
                      >> launch site, then the chase vehicles take off towards the recovery
                      >> area, watch them wait for the balloon to burst, and then if necessary
                      >> the repositioning for recovery, and final move to the touchdown
                      >> location.
                      >>
                      >> (Of course our chase and recoveries are pretty silly looking because I
                      >> can not convince the rest of the chase crews to spread out and
                      >> surround the anticipated landing area. It usually ends up being a big
                      >> old parade out to the balloon on the ground. It's always "Follow
                      >> James, he'll get us there!")
                      >>
                      >> Another more important use would be for post-mortem analysis of events
                      >> such as ARES deployments. Being able to see where people went, and
                      >> whether better pre-positioning, or deployment could have been achieved
                      >> would be very handy.
                      >>
                      >> When replaying, a date/clock showing playback time would be good to
                      >> have so you can tell when things were happening. Replay of messaging
                      >> during the playback would be handy.
                      >>
                      >> Of course there are far more frivolous uses of replay to be had as well.
                      >>
                      >> --
                      >> James
                      >> VE6SRV

                    • Keith VE7GDH
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                        Lynn K4JERJ wrote...

                        > Help me out here, what does playback have to do with the
                        > messaging interface? Got me confused here.

                        Right, there is more than one kind of playback. Going by the
                        subject, it could be playback of a log file. UI-View, can log
                        everything, but not just one particular station. Perhaps you could
                        add that ability. In relation to messages, perhaps he was referring
                        to it having the messages read to him via a synthesized voice on the
                        speaker. Kinda nice if you are multi-tasking or driving or otherwise
                        occupied. Or he could just be referring to scrolling a list of past
                        received (or sent) messages and viewing them... or having it
                        save a copy of messages so they could be viewed after a restart.

                        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                          On 7/4/2012 3:52 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                          > Lynn K4JERJ wrote...
                          >
                          >> Help me out here, what does playback have to do with the
                          >> messaging interface? Got me confused here.
                          > In relation to messages, perhaps he was referring
                          > to it having the messages read to him via a synthesized voice on the
                          > speaker. Kinda nice if you are multi-tasking or driving or otherwise
                          > occupied. Or he could just be referring to scrolling a list of past
                          > received (or sent) messages and viewing them...

                          Got a Win32/WinMo API for text-to-speech you can point me to?

                          > or having it
                          > save a copy of messages so they could be viewed after a restart.

                          In my mind if not on my ToDo list. Especially saving and
                          recalling/restarting unacknowledged pending outbound messages.

                        • Kim
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                            Hi All,

                            I would find it very usefull to be able to revisit messages that have been previously read.. I often go back to old messages if I happen to remember the callsign of the station involved..

                            So the useful feature would be single place to look at all old messages.. I am mainly interested in those that have been in the current run of the program... not woried so much about having them saved and reviewable over a restart.. It's more about remembering the call sign than any thing else..

                            Once I have the call, If I need to see the actual messages I can access them on aprs.fi...

                            ... For me this is NOT a high priority feature, but something for the todo list, to be done well after the IS-RF work....

                            73 Kim

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                              Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

                              > Got a Win32/WinMo API for text-to-speech you can point me to?

                              It's a standard feature in UI-View to be able to have it "speak"
                              messages directed to the users callsign-SSID, but for it to actually
                              work, the user must install Microsoft's MS Agent. There's a link
                              in the help, so it's easy for the user to go and grab it. There's an
                              option to have it also "speak" bulletins as well as messages.

                              www.microsoft.com/msagent

                              Without MS Agent installed, there is an option to play a WAV file
                              when a new message comes in, or to play a custom WAV file... e.g.
                              KJ4ERJ .WAV if a message from you was installed. The message
                              window can also pop up to the foreground when a message comes
                              in. This can be a nice feature or a nuisance if you are multi-tasking
                              and trying to get something else done while someone else peppers
                              you with a whole series of messages. 8-)

                              There are also options to have it save messages. With this enabled,
                              the user can view a folder where the messages are stored under
                              the callsign of the sender. It can also save bulletins.

                              To send a message, the user would either type in the callsign in
                              the TO field, and select port I (Internet) or 1 (one) for RF if there's
                              just one radio port and type the message in and hit send. Alternatively,
                              they could double-click on a received message to automatically
                              enter the callsign in the TO field. Yet another option is to right-click
                              on a station on the map and choose "send message". Actually there
                              are quite a right-click options for clicking on a station including
                              the ability to add custom "right click URLs" such as to look up
                              a particular callsign, or to view the station in findu.com or
                              aprs.fi, or to view the raw data at either site. A station can be
                              pinged or queried from a right click.

                              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                            • KE6BB
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                                Maybe the ability to scroll back thru previously received messages rather than the program forgetting them as soon as they are read, like it does now? That might be easy (at least in the minds of us non-programmers <grin>). Lynn might even be able to make it a user configurable parameter where you could set it, i.e. "Keep last XX messages", and once the buffer has XX messages in it, it would start deleting the oldest ones first. Maybe a time parameter would be better, "Keep messages less than YYY minutes old." Just a thought.

                                Mark
                                KE6BB

                                --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <vk2asy@...> wrote:

                                > Hi All,
                                >
                                > I would find it very usefull to be able to revisit messages that have been previously read.. I often go back to old messages if I happen to remember the callsign of the station involved..
                                >
                                > So the useful feature would be single place to look at all old messages.. I am mainly interested in those that have been in the current run of the program... not woried so much about having them saved and reviewable over a restart.. It's more about remembering the call sign than any thing else..
                                >
                                > Once I have the call, If I need to see the actual messages I can access them on aprs.fi...
                                >
                                > ... For me this is NOT a high priority feature, but something for the todo list, to be done well after the IS-RF work....
                                >
                                > 73 Kim

                              • Keith VE7GDH
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                                  Mark KE6BB wrote...

                                  > Maybe the ability to scroll back thru previously received messages...

                                  Just for those that haven't used UI-View, that program has a separate
                                  "message" window. Sent and received messages can be viewed, and
                                  you can right-click on them to see the time of receipt. They disappear
                                  and are gone if the program is shut down, but there is an option to
                                  save received messages. From the "messages" window, you can
                                  "read messages" to view messages saved on the hard drive. They
                                  are saved in a folder named MESSAGES below where UI-View
                                  is installed. There is a separate file for each callsign that has sent
                                  you a message. Your sent messages are saved there too. The
                                  messages are saved in a text file and it uses Notepad to view the
                                  file. The date / time is shown, followed by the message. It must
                                  be hard-coded to use Notepad as it isn't my default text editor.
                                  One way of initiating a message is to right-click on a station on
                                  the map view and select "send a message" from the menu.

                                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                • Kurt Savegnago
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                                    Sat down today and tooled around with APRSIS32 on one screen and the wiki on the other.  Just had an internet connection up though I've run it with a serial GPS and with a D7A(g) and a D72A attached in a simple mode.

                                    Was messing with the filters and such and I somehow lost the ability to receive objects though APRS-IS is O.K.  It did receive objects from the IS before I sat down and starting banging away and making changes to some of the menu items. I do have a simple internet only setup at the office I could scroll through the menus and see what I've done but I've banged my head over a couple of hours and can't seem to get the objects to display.

                                    I mean the objects transmitted by outside local stations.  I have an Xastir setup transmitting an object  I know is hitting the digi that's 400yds. away and making it to APRS.fi.  I'm not talking about objects generated locally on the APRSIS32 setup.  I do like the ability to turn the objects on and off actually.

                                    Earlier in the day, I was receiving that object on this APRSIS32 setup over the internet but now that capability is gone and I don't know what I messed up in the menu!  Drat.      Is there a distance setting in the menu that I might have set incorrectly so Objects at a certain distance aren't displayed?   I'm racking my brain on this one.                        Kurt KC9LDH
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                                      Please close your client and e-mail your APRSIS32.XML file to KJ4ERJ@....  I can check it out and see what I can make of it.  But, there are some options:

                                      1) Make sure you have View / All checked.

                                      2) Double-check your Configure / General / Range and remember that it is expressed in 1/10 mile increments.  50 is only 5 miles, 500 is 50 miles.

                                      3) Make sure ME is in the right place, use Screen / Follow / ME to see where it is.  If it is wrong, then drag/zoom to where you should be, hit Transmit and then confirm the intent to Move ME to Center.

                                      4) Check what all you might have in Configure / General / Add Filter.  In particular, watch out for minus (-) filter elements that would exclude certain things from coming from APRS-IS.  Especially look for -t/o which would eliminate all object packet.

                                      Those are the ones that come quickly to mind.  If all else fails, just close the client, delete your APRSIS32.XML file, and restart.  Reconfigure and all should be well.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 4, 2012
                                        Fixed,

                                          It was the range I had set wrong.  Stupidhead here didn't "get" the 1/10th mile thing.:-0
                                        I "get" it now and won't likely forget. :-)

                                                                          Kurt KC9LDH

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 5, 2012
                                            Lynn,

                                            it would be also handy for those of us familiar more with km than miles to have it scaled in km.
                                            If possible this parameter could be integrated in Configure -> Metrics menu for example.
                                            --
                                            Regards,

                                            Krzysztof
                                            SQ5NWI