Kantronics KISS ON/OFF scripts

  • Lee D Bengston
    Message 1 of 8 , May 30, 2012
      Greetings.  For those interested in a little help with getting APRSIS32 up and running with a Kantronics KPC3+ or KPC-9612+, I have posted for download a script package for Windows at the following link:

      There's a readme file included that explains further.  Basically there is a script that puts the TNC in KISS mode (with a few additional capabilities), another script that takes it out of KISS mode, and a 3rd that prompts the user for the applicable COM port and baud rate and saves that information for the other 2 scripts to use.

      The scripts were written in Perl and converted to executables using the "PAR-Packer" module.  In theory, they should work without the need to install ActivePerl in Windows - in other words just double-click the exe file to use it.

      A few caveats - I've only tested in Windows XP, and I didn't uninstall ActivePerl on my machine and test the exe files without it.  Therefore the first users will be guinea pigs.  Also, the first time you run each executable file, there will be a delay before it starts as it is decompressing some embedded items including the original perl script.  Finally, I have only tested with a KPC9612+, but from what I have gathered from the user manuals, the commands are identical.

      Regards,
      Lee - K5DAT
    • w7boz
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2012
        Sounds nice. But hopefully Lynn will get to adding the Kantronics TNC's to the menu. I have been asking for along time. I think that they will be added pretty soon. I think it is near the top of his list.

        I will try your setup and see how it works. May save me some real headaches until the config is added to Aprsisce.

        Kevin
        W7BOZ

        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Lee D Bengston <kilo5dat@...> wrote:

        > Greetings. For those interested in a little help with getting APRSIS32 up
        > and running with a Kantronics KPC3+ or KPC-9612+, I have posted for
        > download a script package for Windows at the following link:
        >
        > http://www.175moonlight.com/APRS/K5DAT-KPC-KISS-scripts-2012-05-31.zip
        >
        > There's a readme file included that explains further. Basically there is a
        > script that puts the TNC in KISS mode (with a few additional capabilities),
        > another script that takes it out of KISS mode, and a 3rd that prompts the
        > user for the applicable COM port and baud rate and saves that information
        > for the other 2 scripts to use.
        >
        > The scripts were written in Perl and converted to executables using the
        > "PAR-Packer" module. In theory, they should work without the need to
        > install ActivePerl in Windows - in other words just double-click the exe
        > file to use it.
        >
        > A few caveats - I've only tested in Windows XP, and I didn't uninstall
        > ActivePerl on my machine and test the exe files without it. Therefore the
        > first users will be guinea pigs. Also, the first time you run each
        > executable file, there will be a delay before it starts as it is
        > decompressing some embedded items including the original perl script.
        > Finally, I have only tested with a KPC9612+, but from what I have gathered
        > from the user manuals, the commands are identical.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Lee - K5DAT

      • Pat KC6VVT Assistant SEC/IL
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2012
          Thanks, Lee K5DAT
          3.9MB for what are essentially just text commands to a KPC TNC? d:D This should be interesting to see. Downloading att, and hope to review.
          What version software embedded in your KPC 9612 PLUS? I have an older one I would like to try out as a dual band APRS digipeater, and recall that this model TNC needs a dual command separated by a slash on each command line.
          Not good for a KPC-3 version, that is.
          73 de Pat KC6VVT

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Lee D Bengston <kilo5dat@...> wrote:

          > Greetings. For those interested in a little help with getting APRSIS32 up
          > and running with a Kantronics KPC3+ or KPC-9612+, I have posted for
          > download a script package for Windows at the following link:
          >
          > http://www.175moonlight.com/APRS/K5DAT-KPC-KISS-scripts-2012-05-31.zip
          >
          > There's a readme file included that explains further. Basically there is a
          > script that puts the TNC in KISS mode (with a few additional capabilities),
          > another script that takes it out of KISS mode, and a 3rd that prompts the
          > user for the applicable COM port and baud rate and saves that information
          > for the other 2 scripts to use.
          >
          > The scripts were written in Perl and converted to executables using the
          > "PAR-Packer" module. In theory, they should work without the need to
          > install ActivePerl in Windows - in other words just double-click the exe
          > file to use it.
          >
          > A few caveats - I've only tested in Windows XP, and I didn't uninstall
          > ActivePerl on my machine and test the exe files without it. Therefore the
          > first users will be guinea pigs. Also, the first time you run each
          > executable file, there will be a delay before it starts as it is
          > decompressing some embedded items including the original perl script.
          > Finally, I have only tested with a KPC9612+, but from what I have gathered
          > from the user manuals, the commands are identical.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Lee - K5DAT

        • Lee D Bengston
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2012
            On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Pat KC6VVT Assistant SEC/IL <kc6vvt@...> wrote:

            Thanks, Lee K5DAT
            3.9MB for what are essentially just text commands to a KPC TNC? d:D This should be interesting to see. Downloading att, and hope to review.

            Yes, the stand-alone executable files created by the PAR::Packer module are much larger than the source perl scripts.

            What version software embedded in your KPC 9612 PLUS? I have an older one I would like to try out as a dual band APRS digipeater, and recall that this model TNC needs a dual command separated by a slash on each command line.

            I'm not near my KPC9612+ now, but it's 12 or 13 years old.  The slash doesn't sound familiar, though.  I'll plan to post the perl scripts so that you or anyone else who wants to tweak them can do that.  To run the native scripts, it just takes ActivePerl, which is a free download, and the Win32::Serial module, which can be installed with the Perl Package Manager once ActivePerl is installed.

            Running the executable file will decompress the original perl script, but it will bury it in a hidden directory somewhere, so if you look hard enough, you may find the scripts before I post them :-)

            Regards,
            Lee - K5DAT

          • Lee D Bengston
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2012
              On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 8:52 AM, w7boz <w7boz@...> wrote:

              Sounds nice. But hopefully Lynn will get to adding the Kantronics TNC's to the menu. I have been asking for along time. I think that they will be added pretty soon. I think it is near the top of his list.

              I will try your setup and see how it works. May save me some real headaches until the config is added to Aprsisce.

              Kevin
              W7BOZ

              One up side to using separate scripts to handle the TNC control is that the same scripts can work with multiple APRS or packet clients.

              One thing that is in the readme file, but I didn't mention via email: The script that puts the TNC in KISS mode has the capability to get it there even if the TNC is in "ground zero" mode - prompting the user to enter ' * ' for autobaud.  It enters the asterisk and prompts the user for a callsign to be entered into the TNC and then enters whatever the user provides.  That can be useful if the TNC has a dead internal battery (like mine) and goes into that mode every time it either loses power or is switched off and back on.

              I suspect Lynn has been in a hurry to get the built-in Kantronics support going because he can't wait to have delayed packets with the APRSIS32 TOCALL showing up on aprs.fi  :-)

              Lee - K5DAT

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1, 2012
              • 1 Attachment
              • 403 KB
              300W 10GHz amp I helped design, used a TWT that at the time were 10% efficient hence the big PSU, used in October 1986 to beam TV back to the UK on the Reagan Gorbachev summit in Reykjavik . Aircraft hangars in Iceland in October are not the place to be. Taken on a Polaroid camera designed to take pics of oscilloscope traces if I recall hence the not great quality.
              Boss on the far right, who when redundancies were happening sacked me, I designed a lot of the control system, like checking the heater in the tube had run long enough etc. shortly afterwards he said oh, if I had known what you were doing would not have sacked you.
              He had no idea what I was doing.
              Best boss I had Colin Joslin, who would just give me a project, and let me get on with it.
              Off Topic I know but thought you might laugh at my expense at the photo

              Torbay Freecycle Moderator

            • Lee D Bengston
              Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2012
                On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Lee D Bengston <kilo5dat@...> wrote:

[...]

                Update - the source perl scripts are now posted at the link below:

                http://www.175moonlight.com/APRS/K5DAT-KPC-KISS-scripts-src-2012-06-02.zip

                I admit the code is kind of a kludge, but it's been working for me.

                Lee - K5DAT
              • Lee D Bengston
                Message 8 of 8 , Jun 5, 2012
                  On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Lee D Bengston <kilo5dat@...> wrote:
[...]

                  Just a quick follow-up - the executable versions of the scripts were tested last night with positive results on a laptop running Windows 7 without ActivePerl installed.  (finally got a chance to hijack my wife's laptop for a few minutes)  Files like this that run embedded scripts are understandably viewed with suspicion by anti-virus software.  We are using the free Avast software, and I had to tell it to "run the files normally" or something to that effect, but once I got past the anti-virus software, everything was good.

                  Regards,
                  Lee - K5DAT