Frequency Monitor Popup

  • kc2nyu
    Message 1 of 12 , May 30, 2012
      How does one turn off the Frequency Monitor Pop Up ? When I go to Enable-Frequency Monitor, and attempt to remove the check mark, it just opens the pop-up again.

      73 Paul kc2nyu
    • Keehan Dowd
      Message 2 of 12 , May 30, 2012
        At about 12-05-30 09:22 AM, kc2nyu whilst discussing "[aprsisce] Frequency Monitor Popup", wrote the following:

        How does one turn off the Frequency Monitor Pop Up ? When I go to Enable-Frequency Monitor, and attempt to remove the check mark, it just opens the pop-up again.

        73 Paul kc2nyu

        I've found that you have to uncheck the option when the frequency monitor window is open.  Closing the frequency monitor window, then unchecking the option doesn't clear the check mark.

        Regards,
        Keehan - VE6XVK
      • kc2nyu
        Message 3 of 12 , May 30, 2012
          Keehan- thank you sir, that did the trick.

          73 Paul kc2nyu

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Keehan Dowd <keehan.dowd@...> wrote:

          > At about 12-05-30 09:22 AM, kc2nyu whilst discussing "[aprsisce]
          > Frequency Monitor Popup", wrote the following:
          > >

          > > How does one turn off the Frequency Monitor Pop Up ? When I go to
          > > Enable-Frequency Monitor, and attempt to remove the check mark, it
          > > just opens the pop-up again.
          > >
          > > 73 Paul kc2nyu
          > >

          > I've found that you have to uncheck the option *when the frequency
          > monitor window is open*. Closing the frequency monitor window, then
          > unchecking the option doesn't clear the check mark.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Keehan - VE6XVK

        • kc2nyu
          Message 4 of 12 , May 30, 2012
            Keehan- thank you sir, that did the trick.

            73 Paul kc2nyu

            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Keehan Dowd <keehan.dowd@...> wrote:

            > At about 12-05-30 09:22 AM, kc2nyu whilst discussing "[aprsisce]
            > Frequency Monitor Popup", wrote the following:
            > >

            > > How does one turn off the Frequency Monitor Pop Up ? When I go to
            > > Enable-Frequency Monitor, and attempt to remove the check mark, it
            > > just opens the pop-up again.
            > >
            > > 73 Paul kc2nyu
            > >

            > I've found that you have to uncheck the option *when the frequency
            > monitor window is open*. Closing the frequency monitor window, then
            > unchecking the option doesn't clear the check mark.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Keehan - VE6XVK

          • Keehan Dowd
            Message 5 of 12 , May 30, 2012
              :-)  It had me scratching my head for a bit too!   'not sure if it's intended behaviour or a bug though....

              Keehan.

              Please excuse brevity and typos.  Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 12 , May 30, 2012
                On 5/30/2012 11:40 AM, Keehan Dowd wrote:
                At about 12-05-30 09:22 AM, kc2nyu whilst discussing "[aprsisce] Frequency Monitor Popup", wrote the following:

                How does one turn off the Frequency Monitor Pop Up ? When I go to Enable-Frequency Monitor, and attempt to remove the check mark, it just opens the pop-up again.

                73 Paul kc2nyu

                I've found that you have to uncheck the option when the frequency monitor window is open.  Closing the frequency monitor window, then unchecking the option doesn't clear the check mark.

                You are correct, and that is by design.  Otherwise there's no way to force the monitor to open (and I believe it helps to see what it is that you're disabling).

                You can also right click on the monitor itself and uncheck Enable from there.

                Regards,
                Keehan - VE6XVK

              • Adam Mahnke
                Message 7 of 12 , May 30, 2012
                  Lynn,

                  Had something interesting happen recently, not sure if it's a windows thing or an APRSIS32 thing.

                  APRSIS32 running minimized, freq monitor enabled.

                  When a frequency is received it activates the the monitor as designed. (Minimized)
                  When attempting to restore the APRSIS32 window by clicking on the task bar it only restores the freq monitor window.

                  Once I close the freq monitor and then click on the task bar APRSIS32 restores as normal.

                  Not a big deal, just not sure where the cause of this is.

                  Adam
                  KC2ANT

                    On 5/30/2012 11:40 AM, Keehan Dowd wrote:

                    At about 12-05-30 09:22 AM, kc2nyu whilst discussing "[aprsisce] Frequency Monitor Popup", wrote the following:

                    How does one turn off the Frequency Monitor Pop Up ? When I go to Enable-Frequency Monitor, and attempt to remove the check mark, it just opens the pop-up again.

                    73 Paul kc2nyu

                    I've found that you have to uncheck the option when the frequency monitor window is open.  Closing the frequency monitor window, then unchecking the option doesn't clear the check mark.

                    You are correct, and that is by design.  Otherwise there's no way to force the monitor to open (and I believe it helps to see what it is that you're disabling).

                    You can also right click on the monitor itself and uncheck Enable from there.

                    Regards,
                    Keehan - VE6XVK

                  • Pat KC6VVT Assistant SEC/IL
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
                      Ok, Frequency Monitor is what I have been searching for documentation on, and didn't understand what was going on my APRSIS32 screen.

                      Now, there are two area digipeaters sending two different local repeater frequencies for the mobile APRS passerby. A little red square surrounds both the separate antenna symbols.

                      One is 146.955RR and when selected in the program has something like 'bad case' (Mhz vice MHz?)

                      Another W9MKS-3 has 'no MHz' but MHz is there with no space after the last digit (147.120MHz).

                      Thirdly, my own mobile Status comment beacon on KC6VVT-14 using an old TM-D700A without the autofrequency changer option of the later TM-D710 has 'listening 146.52/446.0 or local repeater' that also gets tagged with the red square. While this may be clear to the mobile packet reader, what I really would like is to be called on the APRS Alert frequency of 144.390 MHz Simplex with 100.0 Hz PL.

                      What is the best syntax to use that conveys that I am using that APRS Alert while mobile, and call me there, and also try or a calling frequency for FM?

                      Over?

                      73 de Pat KC6VVT

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
                        On 6/1/2012 1:03 PM, Pat KC6VVT Assistant SEC/IL wrote:
                        > Now, there are two area digipeaters sending two different local repeater frequencies for the mobile APRS passerby. A little red square surrounds both the separate antenna symbols.

                        The little red square indicates that APRSISCE/32 has detected some Issue
                        with the station's transmitted frequency syntax.

                        > One is 146.955RR and when selected in the program has something like 'bad case' (Mhz vice MHz?)

                        146.955RR says "146.955Mhz" at the start of the comment. The FTM-350
                        requires MHz (note the capital H) in order to activate the QTY/Tune
                        function. Hence the "*MHzCase*" issue displayed by APRSISCE/32. In
                        addition, they are using a non-standard offset and PL in the comment. A
                        standard-compliant specification would replace the "146.955Mhz (
                        -600Khz, 103.5 PL)" with the (much shorter) following (T103 is Wide FM,
                        t103 would be Narrow FM):

                        146.955MHz T103 -060

                        > Another W9MKS-3 has 'no MHz' but MHz is there with no space after the last digit (147.120MHz).

                        W9MKS-3 has "147.12 P T013"... in their comment and APRSISCE/32 displays
                        "*NoMHz*" as an issue because there is no MHz in the beacon comment.
                        The Freq: 147.120MHz that is displayed is generated by APRSISCE/32 and
                        it's "loose" parser gleaning for anything that might be a frequency.
                        While I don't know what the P is in the comment, a standards-compliant
                        comment would be:

                        147.120MHz T103

                        And I personally recommend including the offset, even if it is
                        considered "standard" for the local area. For instance, I have no idea
                        if it would be +060 or -060 for entering into my non-localized,
                        non-standard-offset-supporting UV-3R in order to use this repeater.

                        > Thirdly, my own mobile Status comment beacon on KC6VVT-14 using an old TM-D700A without the autofrequency changer option of the later TM-D710 has 'listening 146.52/446.0 or local repeater' that also gets tagged with the red square. While this may be clear to the mobile packet reader, what I really would like is to be called on the APRS Alert frequency of 144.390 MHz Simplex with 100.0 Hz PL.

                        Your comment gives no indication of "Voice Alert" so there's no way
                        someone that receives it on a non-voice-alert rig would have any clue to
                        do what you'd prefer. And if you don't want to be flagged with a red
                        square, just make your comment "Local repeater or 146.52/446.0" and the
                        frequency parser won't even detect the frequency at the start. (At
                        least, not until I start sniffing entire comments for anything that
                        smells like a frequency spec, but I probably won't flag those as issues
                        because they don't even remotely appear to be trying to be standard
                        which has the frequency listed first).

                        > What is the best syntax to use that conveys that I am using that APRS Alert while mobile, and call me there, and also try or a calling frequency for FM?

                        AFAIK, there is no suggested standard syntax for flagging voice alert.
                        If someone is using it, they expect calls from others that are listening
                        for it. It's only your "really would like is" qualifier that would even
                        suggest that you might want to put it in the text. If I were in your
                        position, I'd probably just make my comment something like "146.520MHz
                        or 446.0 or local repeater" and keep your tone on 144.390. It doesn't
                        express your preference, but doesn't it make more sense for people to
                        just call you on 146.520 straight away instead of calling on 144.390
                        just to arrange a frequency change? The "146.520MHz" will satisfy the
                        FTM-350 requirement (and Kenwoods can use it to) and the "or" will stop
                        the frequency parser(s) from generating any complaints about the
                        additional frequency coming later.

                        > Over?

                        Back to you.

                        > 73 de Pat KC6VVT
                        >

                        > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Adam Mahnke<kc2ant@...> wrote:
                        >> Lynn,
                        >>
                        >> Had something interesting happen recently, not sure if it's a windows thing or an APRSIS32 thing.
                        >>
                        >> APRSIS32 running minimized, freq monitor enabled.
                        >>
                        >> When a frequency is received it activates the the monitor as designed. (Minimized)
                        >> When attempting to restore the APRSIS32 window by clicking on the task bar it only restores the freq monitor window.
                        >>
                        >> Once I close the freq monitor and then click on the task bar APRSIS32 restores as normal.
                        >>
                        >> Not a big deal, just not sure where the cause of this is.
                        >>
                        >> Adam
                        >> KC2ANT

                      • Pat KC6VVT Assistant SEC/IL
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
                          Thanks, Lynn, will try your suggestion on my mobile first. I have to have a working area example first, before I can pass on that knowledge to others who set this up based on an old example....
                          73 de Pat KC6VVT

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
                            I'd suggest doing your own, but hold off on telling others for now.
                            There's some folks that are working up a complete compatibility test for
                            all APRS-compatible radios whose results we can use to help persuade
                            others as to the importance of absolute spec compliance for largest
                            possible usefulness of the information.