Re: [aprsisce] Icon

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2010
      DonM wrote:
      > My icon on aprs.fi is a computer. I am using aprsis32 to put my icon on it. Is there anyway to change it?
      >
      > Don K0OZ
      To set your Icon, click on the current icon displayed in the APRSISCE/32
      configuration dialog (below the big Genius button). It will then give
      you the option of Primary, Alternate, or Overlay and a pair of spin
      boxes that let you set the ASCII value of your symbol and possibly
      Overlay. The symbol and name of the symbol is displayed while you're
      spinning the buttons, so you can figure out where you want to land.
      Clicking Accept will make that the symbol sent out with the next beacon
      packet. Cancel will retain the originally select symbol.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
    • Don Morris
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2010
        Thanks again Lynn

        73, Don K0OZ
        Rio Rancho, NM, USA

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2010
          Cool! A House and it's not in the middle of the ocean! And now a -10,
          that's another way to get aprs.fi to "allow" you to move a large
          distance. It then thinks you're a different station.

          I've sent a private e-mail about the van not appearing. APRSIS32 only
          displays stations heard since you started running it. It doesn't record
          anything between executions, unlike aprs.fi which buffers stations for a
          LONG time. If you bring up a new copy of APRSIS32, your van won't
          appear until it beacons.

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

          Don Morris wrote:

          > Thanks again Lynn
          >
          > 73, Don K0OZ
          > Rio Rancho, NM, USA

        • Joe Pupecki
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 17, 2010
            Icon

            Hello,

                    Does anyone know how I can change my icon on the map to something other than a laptop??

            Thanks, N1MNU

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 17, 2010
              Configure / General and then click on the laptop. Then play with the
              spin buttons or enter an ASCII value. Have fun!

              Joe Pupecki wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > Does anyone know how I can change my icon on the map to
              > something other than a laptop??
              >
              > Thanks, N1MNU

            • wa5qbx
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2012
                I am obviously new to APRSIS since I joined yesterday.
                I currently have a laptop showing on my map. Since my Kenwood D72 is running as a Wx station, naturally I would like to see the WX symbol on the map as well as the log scrolling on the left side of the map. I cannot find the place to change the icon.
                Secondly, I am not seeing any stations on my map. Our club station, W5BII, shows on other APRS maps.
                I have the D72 connected to the computer with the supplied cable from Kenwood.

                Thanks

                Burt
                AF5AA
              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2012
                  Burt AF5AA wrote...

                  > I would like to see the WX symbol on the map...

                  Per your later message, you have the WX symbol now selected.

                  > Secondly, I am not seeing any stations on my map.

                  http://aprs.fi/info/AF5AA%2A

                  With what callsign-SSID are you not seeing any other stations on
                  your map? Are you listening on RF only, or are you also connected
                  to the APRS-IS? If you aren't getting anything from the radio, you
                  could try taking APRSISCE out of the picture and connecting the
                  radio (you mentioned later it is a D72) to a terminal program and
                  seeing if it is decoding. I know that you can view received
                  beacons on the D72 in APRS mode, but with it in packet mode, it
                  would be nice to confirm that it is spitting decoded beacons out
                  on the serial port. It would confirm that you know the com port
                  number and the data rate to use in the APRS client.

                  http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=AF5AA-13

                  Looking at AF5AA-13... I know that you mentioned that you are
                  new to this, but you should be aware that fixed stations should
                  never use WIDE1-1. Neither should anything that flies. It is
                  reserved for mobile stations. Fixed stations usually don't need
                  any help in reaching a regular WIDEn-N digi. Fill-in digis respond
                  to only WIDE1-1. What is a good mobile path isn't a good one
                  for a fixed station. If you really need a two hop path, change to
                  WIDE2-2. If a one hop path will spread your beacons far
                  enough, consider using just WIDE2-1.

                  It appears that AF5AA-13 is being used by more than one station.
                  One is sending WX data and the other appears to be using MIC-E.

                  If the D72 is decoding but nothing is showing up in APRSISCE, do
                  you have a port configured for the D72?

                  If it is also connected to the APRS-IS, check what filter you are
                  using. For most servers, if you don't enter a filter, you won't
                  get anything except the "keep alive" packets.

                  > Our club station, W5BII, shows on other APRS maps.

                  http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=W5BII&limit=50

                  This one needs some work. According to the symbol it is a digi.
                  However, it is beaconing with a path of WIDE,WIDE. The alias WIDE
                  became obsolete 5+ years ago. Hopefully there are no other digis
                  close to it that respond to WIDE but if there are, there could be
                  lots of ping-ponging back and form as there wasn't any dupe
                  checking with WIDE. The currently accepted two hop path would be
                  WIDE2-2 but consider first if it really needs to be beaconing with
                  a two hop path. It is also periodically using a path of TRACE4-4.
                  This is also obsolete. A four hop path would also be considered
                  abusive in most locations. I don't know what software of TNC the
                  digi is using, but many can be programmed to vary the path
                  length... e.g. send most beacons direct (no path) but once an
                  hour, send one with a one or two hop path.

                  > I have the D72 connected to the computer with the supplied
                  > cable from Kenwood.

                  As I mentioned above, confirm with a terminal program that the
                  D72 is actually outputting decoded beacons on the serial cable.
                  The radio should be in packet mode, not APRS mode. In APRS
                  mode, the D72 is controlling the beaconing.

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                • Burt Sammis
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2, 2012
                    Thanks Keith for your info and suggestions.
                    That particular repeater and controller has not been looked at for years.
                    It just sits there and does it's thing.
                    I have contacted our repeater coordinator to get him to change the path.
                    I now have my APRSISCE running to my satisfaction.

                    Thanks again
                    Burt
                    AF5AA

                    To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com