Re: [aprsisce] Re: Start up whoos

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2010
      Dave's pretty quick! That's exactly what I did. As I've mentioned in
      the past, I keep a copy of APRSIS32 running with u/APWW*/APWM* in the
      filter text. This gives me packets from anyone running APRSISCE (APWW*)
      or APRSIS32 (APWM*) as shown on http://www.aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt

      When I saw K0OZ show up, I sent a quick APRS message to you telling you
      about the reply. There really wasn't any direct connection except
      through my fingertips.

      If you have sound on your PC and don't have it muted (I keep mine that
      way too often), you should have heard a sound when the message arrived
      and the "No Msg" would have changed to a green background with my
      callsign in it. If there are any non-acknowledged outbound messages or
      unread incoming messages when you close the client, it warns you about
      them so you don't miss them.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

      David Shrum wrote:
      > I've used it to send a message, kind of handy.
      >
      > Dave N8PU

    • g4ilo
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2010

        > If you have sound on your PC and don't have it muted (I keep mine that
        > way too often), you should have heard a sound when the message arrived
        > and the "No Msg" would have changed to a green background with my
        > callsign in it. If there are any non-acknowledged outbound messages or
        > unread incoming messages when you close the client, it warns you about
        > them so you don't miss them.

        I presume unchecking the "Sound" option disables this. I don't have sound on my shack computer because the sound card is used for digimodes on the radio.

        The message handling in APRSIS32 is one of the really good features of it. UI-View32 did not handle messaging properly. It did not retry messages with an increasing delay until acknolwledged. So it is good to have a Windows client that does messaging properly.

        The only thing I miss is that I can't see how to recall messages that have been received once you have looked at them, if for example you want to reply to them later.

        Julian, G4ILO
        G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2010
          g4ilo wrote:

          > I presume unchecking the "Sound" option disables this. I don't have sound on my shack computer because the sound card is used for digimodes on the radio.

          The Enables/Sound option disables certain sounds like the ack received,
          GPS fix acquired, and APRS-IS connection acquired. However, anything
          that displays a message box will follow Windows's over-all sound
          settings as there isn't a programmatic flag (that I can find) to disable
          the sound of a MessageBox() call.

          > The message handling in APRSIS32 is one of the really good features of it. UI-View32 did not handle messaging properly. It did not retry messages with an increasing delay until acknolwledged. So it is good to have a Windows client that does messaging properly.

          The decaying retry was actually a fairly recent addition. I really like
          it when communicating with local RF clients, it has dramatically
          improved the deliverabilty of messages to mobiles. I've got a few
          finishing touches to do to it on the KISS side of things (as recommended
          by Bob) where I'm not necessarily limited by the 30 second (default)
          dupe detection of the APRS-IS. That dupe detection is why the first
          retry occurs in 31 seconds (the extra second is to try to avoid having
          the first retry suppressed due to slight timing differences between the
          client, and APRS-IS server, and the communications path between them).
          > The only thing I miss is that I can't see how to recall messages that have been received once you have looked at them, if for example you want to reply to them later.

          An "already-read" message buffer and dialog is also on the ToDo list.
          Right now, I just go back to aprs.fi to see my previous messages when I
          accidentally (or sometimes on purpose) read one and say "No" when I
          really wanted to reply....

          Thanks for the feedback! It helps me adjust priorities to work on
          things that people are asking for without having to guess what would be
          the most beneficial.

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ