Labels labels labels...

  • gsdatplace
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2010
      A couple of quick questions Lynn, just updated to the latest Dev version here and I noticed a couple of things, trying to figure out what's changed on a couple of "features"...

      If I'm centered on "ME" screen->Labels->altitude lists everyones (if they're beaconing it)altitude, which is nice...
      Then if I track another station, it shows not only their current altitude but a breadcrumb of altitudes... Nicer!

      But... If I'm centered on "ME" and I enable Screen->labels->speed->Calculated it only shows my speed, no one elses,
      then if I track another station it then shows his speed only...

      It would be nice to see when enabled each moving stations speed on the map like I believe it did with the last dev version I downloaded (its been a week or so since I've played with the pc version so that could have been 200 versions ago).

      Would it be possible to maybe have two menu selections for labels? Global Labels and Tracked Labels with all the same options?
      That way you could configure it to show everyone with say beaconed speed and callsign, but only the tracked object with altitude, calculated speed and callsign etc, just a thought...

      Second question... If I "Centre" on a callsign, and change "view" to "Buddies" it shows that station and mine, if I then "centre" on myself they still show, but if I centre on another station it then shows them and me, is there a way (or is it possible to have a way) to add or remove multiple stations via the GUI? from what I was reading this can be done with the filters setting in the XML, possibly a gui interface for that?

      Thanks for your hard work Lynn! Its getting better and better everyday! (multiple times a day sometimes even!)

      Garrett
      VE6RKY
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2010
        gsdatplace wrote:
        > If I'm centered on "ME" screen->Labels->altitude lists everyones (if they're beaconing it)altitude, which is nice...
        > Then if I track another station, it shows not only their current altitude but a breadcrumb of altitudes... Nicer!

        I really like the breadcrumb of altitudes for tracking balloons. I
        actually added it one day while watching a balloon fly. Check out the
        first 3 links at:

        http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Balloons/WB9SKY-11*

        > But... If I'm centered on "ME" and I enable Screen->labels->speed->Calculated it only shows my speed, no one elses,
        > then if I track another station it then shows his speed only...

        I couldn't really justify a track of speeds except possibly for
        airplanes and/or balloons. It's really kind of boring for ground
        vehicles, but I guess it would help show slowdowns if you have enough
        vehicles driving on a single stretch of road.

        > It would be nice to see when enabled each moving stations speed on the map like I believe it did with the last dev version I downloaded (its been a week or so since I've played with the pc version so that could have been 200 versions ago).

        I don't recall ever breadcrumbing the speed, but if I did, I probably
        removed it due to the extreme clutter and inability to keep the labels
        out of the way of each other. I'm also always concerned with draw-time
        performance as that's currently the biggest CPU load from the client. I
        need to put some attention in that area as the 400Mhz processor on my
        phone feels sluggish at times and I believe it's due to map downloads,
        but I also know that the map is repainting way to often.

        > Would it be possible to maybe have two menu selections for labels? Global Labels and Tracked Labels with all the same options?
        > That way you could configure it to show everyone with say beaconed speed and callsign, but only the tracked object with altitude, calculated speed and callsign etc, just a thought...

        An interesting idea. I'll have to put it on the ToDo list. BTW, the
        calculated speed is instantaneous and can be way wrong at times, just
        like aprs.fi. The average speed has its own problems due to my method
        of averaging, especially if you've got an RF interface active. When the
        same packet is heard via digis, the average is artificially diluted and
        reduced.

        > Second question... If I "Centre" on a callsign, and change "view" to "Buddies" it shows that station and mine, if I then "centre" on myself they still show, but if I centre on another station it then shows them and me, is there a way (or is it possible to have a way) to add or remove multiple stations via the GUI? from what I was reading this can be done with the filters setting in the XML, possibly a gui interface for that?

        If you have buddies configured in your Add Filter (b/Callsign), then
        they should always show if you have View / Buddies checked. ME is
        always shown, and whatever station you're tracking is also always
        shown. You don't need to edit the XML for the filter. Just do
        Configure / General and put it in there. I've got a ToDo item to make
        the actual buddy configuration more straightforward than typing your own
        filter elements, but that's all that's there right now.

        > Thanks for your hard work Lynn! Its getting better and better everyday! (multiple times a day sometimes even!)

        Get ready for a break. I'm going on a hiatus from development in a
        little over a week and covering 4+ weeks of outage. Things are about to
        get really static for a while! Watch for tracks from KJ4ERJ-9 next
        weekend (not this weekend) and beyond. At some point, it will hopefully
        become EA4/KJ4ERJ in the comment text!

        > Garrett
        > VE6RKY

      • g4ilo
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2010
          Sure will. I expect some of us will even send you the odd message just to check that you're having a good time. :)

          Julian, G4ILO

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 10, 2010
            Lynn W. Deffenbaugh wrote:
            > I don't recall ever breadcrumbing the speed, but if I did, I probably
            > removed it due to the extreme clutter and inability to keep the labels
            > out of the way of each other. I'm also always concerned with draw-time
            > performance as that's currently the biggest CPU load from the client. I
            > need to put some attention in that area as the 400Mhz processor on my
            > phone feels sluggish at times and I believe it's due to map downloads,
            > but I also know that the map is repainting way to often.

            I agree with not breadcrumbing speed, I dont believe it ever did that and it would just clutter the map, I meant it used to show when enabled the speed below each stations current position as it does with the altitude if selected. I guess I agree as well, its hard to justify it for ground vehicles, I had been using it more as a indication of if a station was moving when we were balloon chasing as everyone had tracks showing, you could tell who was currently moving and who had stopped. I was curious if the difference in how altitude and speed were displayed for everyone when enabled was different by design.

            >You don't need to edit the XML for the filter. Just do
            >Configure / General and put it in there. I've got a ToDo item to make
            >the actual buddy configuration more straightforward than typing
            >your own filter elements, but that's all that's there right now.

            Ahh, never saw that one there before, thanks for the info, much easier than editing the file.

            Have a great vacation Lynn!

            Garrett
            VE6RKY
          • Fred Eckert
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 31, 2010
              As a new user, I really expected the screen->labels->speed->beaconed to work in a similar fashion as altitude does. i.e. I could flip it on to see if a station is moving... Would be a nice feature...

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 31, 2010
                Screen / Labels / Speed / Beaconed will only display the speed if Labels
                are also enabled and also only if the station itself include the speed
                and heading in their beacon. If the station doesn't include speed,
                nothing will be displayed even if the station is moving.

                To see only those stations that have moved, use View / Tracks.