Start up whoos

  • DonM
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2010
      When I start up aprsis32 It does not remember my call or my last map. Is that the way it works?

      73 Don K0OZ
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2010
        You must start APRSIS32 with the same default directory each time. It
        stores all configuration information in a file called APRSIS32.XML in
        the current directory. This directory must be writable by the program
        for it to save the configuration there.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSIS32 for Windows

        DonM wrote:
        > When I start up aprsis32 It does not remember my call or my last map. Is that the way it works?
        >
        > 73 Don K0OZ

      • DonM
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2010
          Okay that did it.

          Thanks,
          Don K0OZ

          > You must start APRSIS32 with the same default directory each time. It
          > stores all configuration information in a file called APRSIS32.XML in
          > the current directory. This directory must be writable by the program
          > for it to save the configuration there.
          >
          > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSIS32 for Windows
          >
          > DonM wrote:
          > > When I start up aprsis32 It does not remember my call or my last map. Is that the way it works?
          > >
          > > 73 Don K0OZ

        • DonM
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2010
            How did aprsis32 know that you answered my post? When I tried to close it it told me that I had a reply to my message. That is way cool.

            Don K0OZ

            > You must start APRSIS32 with the same default directory each time. It
            > stores all configuration information in a file called APRSIS32.XML in
            > the current directory. This directory must be writable by the program
            > for it to save the configuration there.
            >
            > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSIS32 for Windows
            >
            > DonM wrote:
            > > When I start up aprsis32 It does not remember my call or my last map. Is that the way it works?
            > >
            > > 73 Don K0OZ

          • David Shrum
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2010
              I've used it to send a message, kind of handy.

              Dave N8PU

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2010
                Dave's pretty quick! That's exactly what I did. As I've mentioned in
                the past, I keep a copy of APRSIS32 running with u/APWW*/APWM* in the
                filter text. This gives me packets from anyone running APRSISCE (APWW*)
                or APRSIS32 (APWM*) as shown on http://www.aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt

                When I saw K0OZ show up, I sent a quick APRS message to you telling you
                about the reply. There really wasn't any direct connection except
                through my fingertips.

                If you have sound on your PC and don't have it muted (I keep mine that
                way too often), you should have heard a sound when the message arrived
                and the "No Msg" would have changed to a green background with my
                callsign in it. If there are any non-acknowledged outbound messages or
                unread incoming messages when you close the client, it warns you about
                them so you don't miss them.

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                David Shrum wrote:
                > I've used it to send a message, kind of handy.
                >
                > Dave N8PU

              • g4ilo
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2010

                  > If you have sound on your PC and don't have it muted (I keep mine that
                  > way too often), you should have heard a sound when the message arrived
                  > and the "No Msg" would have changed to a green background with my
                  > callsign in it. If there are any non-acknowledged outbound messages or
                  > unread incoming messages when you close the client, it warns you about
                  > them so you don't miss them.

                  I presume unchecking the "Sound" option disables this. I don't have sound on my shack computer because the sound card is used for digimodes on the radio.

                  The message handling in APRSIS32 is one of the really good features of it. UI-View32 did not handle messaging properly. It did not retry messages with an increasing delay until acknolwledged. So it is good to have a Windows client that does messaging properly.

                  The only thing I miss is that I can't see how to recall messages that have been received once you have looked at them, if for example you want to reply to them later.

                  Julian, G4ILO
                  G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 5, 2010
                    g4ilo wrote:

                    > I presume unchecking the "Sound" option disables this. I don't have sound on my shack computer because the sound card is used for digimodes on the radio.

                    The Enables/Sound option disables certain sounds like the ack received,
                    GPS fix acquired, and APRS-IS connection acquired. However, anything
                    that displays a message box will follow Windows's over-all sound
                    settings as there isn't a programmatic flag (that I can find) to disable
                    the sound of a MessageBox() call.

                    > The message handling in APRSIS32 is one of the really good features of it. UI-View32 did not handle messaging properly. It did not retry messages with an increasing delay until acknolwledged. So it is good to have a Windows client that does messaging properly.

                    The decaying retry was actually a fairly recent addition. I really like
                    it when communicating with local RF clients, it has dramatically
                    improved the deliverabilty of messages to mobiles. I've got a few
                    finishing touches to do to it on the KISS side of things (as recommended
                    by Bob) where I'm not necessarily limited by the 30 second (default)
                    dupe detection of the APRS-IS. That dupe detection is why the first
                    retry occurs in 31 seconds (the extra second is to try to avoid having
                    the first retry suppressed due to slight timing differences between the
                    client, and APRS-IS server, and the communications path between them).
                    > The only thing I miss is that I can't see how to recall messages that have been received once you have looked at them, if for example you want to reply to them later.

                    An "already-read" message buffer and dialog is also on the ToDo list.
                    Right now, I just go back to aprs.fi to see my previous messages when I
                    accidentally (or sometimes on purpose) read one and say "No" when I
                    really wanted to reply....

                    Thanks for the feedback! It helps me adjust priorities to work on
                    things that people are asking for without having to guess what would be
                    the most beneficial.

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ