gps

  • brownwa1954
    Message 1 of 14 , May 4, 2012
      Has anyone used the GPS puck that has the usb connector? Does it work ok?

      http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-353-Waterproof-USB-Receiver/dp/B000PKX2KA/ref=pd_luc_sim_01_01_t_lh
    • Gary Sanders
      Message 2 of 14 , May 4, 2012
        Yes, I've bought several over the last few years, with mixed results.
        I've never used one with APRSISCE though.

        The last one was bought from this same Amazon link. I took it to
        Germany, and returned from Bremerhaven on the new Disney Fantasy Cruise
        Ship during it's delivery voyage from the Builder to Disney. I placed it
        on a table on the veranda, and somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic
        ocean the track suddenly veered at right angles to the ship's actual
        track. (If we'd actually turned as sharply as the gps indicated, we'd
        still be underwater!). During the trip it did that at least twice.
        Luckily I had a spare (an old Microsoft USB unit that came with Streets
        & Trips), and the trip was uneventful from then on.

        Once we arrived back home I returned it to Amazon, which, to it's
        credit, promptly exchanged the unit, even though the time period for
        returns had passed. The new unit seems to work fine, although I haven't
        had a need to run it continuously for three weeks in a saltwater
        environment like the previous one.

        I've owned two others of this same model, and at least one of the serial
        versions. They've functioned fine.

        I also recently purchased the SiRF Star IV version of this unit, the
        GlobalSat BU-353S4, and it does seem to have better sensitivity. When
        running both units sitting side by side, both running VisualGPS, the
        BU-353S4 consistently shows more received sats, and stronger signals.

        I got the S4 version from Here:
        http://www.dealextreme.com/p/globalsat-bu-353s4-usb-gps-receiver-106659

        (The seller is in Hong Kong. I had no problem with the transaction,
        YMMV. I've since seen it for sale in the US, but for higher prices.)

        Gary Sanders W0BY

        On 5/4/2012 10:41 PM, brownwa1954 wrote:
        > Has anyone used the GPS puck that has the usb connector? Does it work
        > ok?
        >
        > http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-353-Waterproof-USB-Receiver/dp/B000PKX2KA/ref=pd_luc_sim_01_01_t_lh
      • Greg Dolkas
        Message 3 of 14 , May 4, 2012

          On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Gary Sanders <yahoomail3847@...> wrote:

          Yes, I've bought several over the last few years, with mixed results.
          I've never used one with APRSISCE though.

          The last one was bought from this same Amazon link. I took it to
          Germany, and returned from Bremerhaven on the new Disney Fantasy Cruise
          Ship during it's delivery voyage from the Builder to Disney. I placed it
          on a table on the veranda, and somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic
          ocean the track suddenly veered at right angles to the ship's actual
          track. (If we'd actually turned as sharply as the gps indicated, we'd
          still be underwater!). During the trip it did that at least twice.
          Luckily I had a spare (an old Microsoft USB unit that came with Streets
          & Trips), and the trip was uneventful from then on.

          Interesting.  A similar thing happened to me on a airplane flight (private plane - ok to use a GPS per the pilot).  We were doing the final turn to line up with the runway, and suddenly our track jumped about a 1/4 mile to the side.  I figure that the satellite coverage was marginal and very one-sided looking out the window, and as we turned a whole different set of satellites came into view.  The lock was transferred, mathematics kicked in, and suddently we were somewhere else.

          If that is what happened to you, then the Puck GPS either had a bad view of the sky, or it had a marginal receiver or two and needed replaceing.

          Greg  KO6TH

        • KEITH BOYER
          Message 4 of 14 , May 5, 2012
            I purchased my first GPS puck from that link for the MS 150 bike tour.  I had no problems with it.  The cord could have been longer.

            Keith
            --------------------------

            --

          • Rodney Roulston
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 11, 2013
              hi
              can I connect garmin legend gps ro pc ??
              Rodney {EI2KD}

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 11, 2013
                          Ok, let me start from the beginning.  This is an APRSISCE/32 support group.  Most people here want to do various functions with APRS via these programs.

                          In that context, a typical GPS is simply a source of NMEA-formatted location data that can be used by APRSISCE/32 to drive some of those APRS functions.

                          I do not know what "data" is on the eTrex display, nor have you made it clear what you want displayed on the notebook, nor why.  Can you be a bit more descriptive and verbose?

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 12, 2013
                              You can use a Garmin Legend with APRSIS32 and EasyGPS. Even at the same time if you want.

                              First you need a cable to connect to the PC.

                              The GPS defaults to the GARMIN protocol. To use NMEA, you must enter the setting menu on the GPS and change it to 'NMEA' or 'NMEA In/Out'. I don't remember right off hand. The baud rate will be 4800.

                              In APRSIS32, you need to configure a port for the GPS.  See http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/ for first use and port setup.

                              Since you apparently use EasyGPS as well, to transfer to and from EasyGPS, you need to set the GPS back to GARMIN. The baud rate is automatically 9600.

                              I have one of these and I have used it. And, I used to use EasyGPS, but I now use ExpertGPS Pro with GIS and CAD/DXF.

                              Best regards,

                              Fred N7FMH

                              PS. When asking questions it is best to add details that we can not guess and will have to ask anyway.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 12, 2013
                                If you do want NMEA to feed multiple applications, you will need a port sharing application.

                                There are others.

                                At times I share NEMA data with APRSIS32, ExpertGPS and MiniCAM.

                                Since you will likely be switching from GARMIN to NMEA for APRSIS32 and EasyGPS, the above applications do NOT handle this. You cannot send NMEA data to one application and GARMIN to another at the same time. Also, I don't believe sharing GARMIN works but you can try it.

                                Best regards,
                                Fred N7FMH