Re: [aprsisce] Re: Feature request - refer to seperate XML files for RF ports and Alias lists?

  • Rob Giuliano
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2 12:02 PM
      My setup:
          D:\APRSIS32                     {files shared with multiple instances}
                    .\OSMTiles              {Open Street tiles}
                    .\xxxTiles                {directory for each tile set}
                    .\APRSIS32.exe       {Application used fro all instances}
          D:\APRSIS32\KB8RCO      {Main veriosn used most often}
                    .\APRSIS32.XML      {XML file with settings for KB8RCO no SSID}
                    .\KB8RCO               shortcut to APRSIS32.exe in above directory
                         Properties:      Target:   D:\APRSIS32\APRSIS32.EXE
                                               Startin:  D:\APRSIS32\KB8RCO
          D:\APRSIS32\KB8RCO-1    {Main veriosn used most often}
                    .\APRSIS32.XML      {XML file with settings for KB8RCO no SSID}
                    .\KB8RCO-1             shortcut to APRSIS32.exe in above directory
                         Properties:      Target:   D:\APRSIS32\APRSIS32.EXE
                                               Startin:  D:\APRSIS32\KB8RCO-1

      I use the callsign-SSID as the directories to help identify which one to run.
      The XML area for the tile sets:
      <OSM.Zoom>9</OSM.Zoom>
      <OSM.Percent>100</OSM.Percent>
      <OSM.MinMBFree>100</OSM.MinMBFree>
      <OSM.PurgeDisabled>1</OSM.PurgeDisabled>
      <OSM.Name>Original</OSM.Name>
      <OSM.Server>tile.openstreetmap.org</OSM.Server>
      <OSM.Port>80</OSM.Port>
      <OSM.URLPrefix>/</OSM.URLPrefix>
      <OSM.SupportsStatus>1</OSM.SupportsStatus>
      <OSM.Path>D:/APRSIS32/OSMTiles/</OSM.Path>
      <OSM.PurgeEnabled>0</OSM.PurgeEnabled>
      <OSM.RetainDays>0</OSM.RetainDays>
      <OSM.RetainZoom>8</OSM.RetainZoom>
      <OSM.MinServerZoom>0</OSM.MinServerZoom>
      <OSM.MaxServerZoom>18</OSM.MaxServerZoom>
      <OSM.RevisionHours>0</OSM.RevisionHours>

      <!--TileServer[0]-->
      <TileServer Name="Original">
      <Server>tile.openstreetmap.org</Server>
      <Port>80</Port>
      <URLPrefix>/</URLPrefix>
      <SupportsStatus>1</SupportsStatus>
      <Path>D:/APRSIS32/OSMTiles/</Path>
      <PurgeEnabled>0</PurgeEnabled>
      <RetainDays>0</RetainDays>
      <RetainZoom>8</RetainZoom>
      <MinServerZoom>0</MinServerZoom>
      <MaxServerZoom>18</MaxServerZoom>
      <RevisionHours>0</RevisionHours>
      </TileServer>
      <!--TileServer[0]-->
      <!--TileServer[1]-->
      <TileServer Name="xxxTiles">
      <Server>{Server info here}</Server>
      <Port>80</Port>
      <URLPrefix>/</URLPrefix>
      <SupportsStatus>1</SupportsStatus>
      <Path>D:/APRSIS32/xxxTiles/</Path>
      <PurgeEnabled>0</PurgeEnabled>
      <RetainDays>0</RetainDays>
      <RetainZoom>8</RetainZoom>
      <MinServerZoom>0</MinServerZoom>
      <MaxServerZoom>18</MaxServerZoom>
      <RevisionHours>0</RevisionHours>
      </TileServer>
      <!--TileServer[1]-->

      This keeps a SINGLE set of tiles and a single EXE which makes it much easier to keep up to date (onlyu one About to get all of them updated, providing they aren't all running at once).

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO

      Message 2 of 15 , May 2 12:10 PM
        On 5/2/2012 3:02 PM, Rob Giuliano wrote:

        This keeps a SINGLE set of tiles and a single EXE which makes it much easier to keep up to date (onlyu one About to get all of them updated, providing they aren't all running at once).

        You can even have them all running when you do an About update, just make sure you do the About on one, and then only Restart the other copies after the About'd instance restarts.

      • Colin M0XSD
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2 1:28 PM
          Thanks Fred, Rob & Lynn,

          I'm not sure what was causing the change in the 'Start In',  it may have just not been accepting what I put in for some reason, I noticed one of them was even looking at an old backup exe file (from an old update in a totally different folder) but now I have one Shortcut working it was a simple matter to copy the shortcut to any new folder & edit the 'Start In' to match.

          I have been running multiple instances all having access to common map tiles for some time, now I have this cracked I'm a happy chappie:)

          73,
          Colin.

          On 02/05/2012 19:10, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

          On 5/2/2012 3:02 PM, Rob Giuliano wrote:

          This keeps a SINGLE set of tiles and a single EXE which makes it much easier to keep up to date (onlyu one About to get all of them updated, providing they aren't all running at once).

          You can even have them all running when you do an About update, just make sure you do the About on one, and then only Restart the other copies after the About'd instance restarts.

      • Bob Bruninga
        Message 4 of 15 , May 3 6:55 AM
          > the "ALIAS.XML" file can just be emailed and inserted before the event.

          True for those station using APRSISCE. But every other device, radio
          tracker, client, software and APRS.FI will not see it. If you are going to
          use aliases, PLAN for how everyone else in the event will not know them or
          see them. If you do not plan this carefully, the aliases may generate far
          more confusion than they solve. Each event is different, just remember this
          in your planning. Bob, WB4APR

          Message 5 of 15 , May 3 6:56 AM
            On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...> wrote:

            > True for those station using APRSISCE.  But every other device, radio
            > tracker, client, software and APRS.FI will not see it.  If you are going to
            > use aliases, PLAN for how everyone else in the event will not know them or
            > see them.  If you do not plan this carefully, the aliases may generate far
            > more confusion than they solve.  Each event is different, just remember this
            > in your planning.

            In the commercial world, this approach is called marketing... "Do you
            want to see the event properly? Use my product!"

            Lynn's tricky, slowly converting the masses before taking over the world!

            Message 6 of 15 , May 3 7:04 AM
              That is why he is called Brain in my nickname list.