aprsis with delorme GPS

  • Don
    Message 1 of 21 , May 1, 2012

      I have to redo my laptop and I copied the aprsis folder from my old hard drive to the new one.  I install Delorme sub to serial and setup the port for com4 and 4800 baud like my old setup , but I can’t get aprsis32 to receive the data from the GPS.

      This is a windows 7 laptop and I had no issues with the old setup.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,

      73, Don

      Message 2 of 21 , May 1, 2012
        You don't have to identify which one it is, but it's pretty easy to see
        the "ALL" messages that make it through APRS-IS. If you ask me, most of
        them are particularly redundant and non-informative, but hey, they were
        sent, so the spec says they'll be received.

        Now, if the APRS-IS servers would have a filter on the message recipient
        field, we'd be able to put something like -g/ALL and never see any of
        them again. But then, if we had that filter, I'd be tempted to have
        APRSISCE/32 automatically do g/APRSIS-CE/APRSIS-32 so that the
        application-targeted group messages would actually work and hit EVERY
        APRS-IS connected instance on the planet! (Don't get too excited yet,
        however. There is no g/ filter at this time in the core APRS-IS servers.)

        Message 3 of 21 , May 1, 2012
          None with that basic information.

          If you use a terminal emulator to open COM4, do you see NMEA strings?

          If you have the APRSIS32 NMEA port configured appropriately and enable the GPS, what does the APRS-IS OK pane say when it says NMEA?  Does it ever get to NMEA OK?

          Bring up Enables / View Logs / NMEA and enable it, what do you see?

          Are there any other ports configured in APRSIS32 that might be flagged as passing GPS/NMEA data through?

          (Ok, so that's a lot of questions from someone that doesn't have any ideas, huh?)

          Message 4 of 21 , May 1, 2012
            Oops. Meant to include http://aprs.fi/?c=message&call=ALL&limit=50

            Message 5 of 21 , May 1, 2012
              On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

              > If you ask me, most of
              > them are particularly redundant and non-informative, but hey, they were
              > sent, so the spec says they'll be received.

              The only important one would be the warning about the zombies. You
              would think that the local authorities would look after cleaning up
              that issue!

                Message 7 of 21 , May 1, 2012

                  I am using the very same files from the install that was working perfectly.   It does say Aprs-is OK and NMEA – OK and I can see the NMEA string with telnet.

                  There are no other ports other than NMEA.   I have double check the ports and both softwares are on Com4 with a baud of 4800.    I can view the data coming from the GPS.

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 1, 2012

                    No it is a window 7 32 bit.    I had it running yesterday, but I reinstalled the OS.   I copied the aprsis folder from the old hard drive to the new one. Install delorme’s serial port emulator and set it up with the same settings as before.    But now it does not show on APRSIS like it did with the old install.

                    I am pulling my hair out  lol

                    Message 9 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                      I'm not sure what you mean "is not showing on APRSIS"....  The GPS on the APRSIS32 screen, or your station's position on aprs.fi or equivalent?

                      What did you see in an enabled NMEA trace log?

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 1, 2012

                        The trouble with that is the local authorities will clean up everything but that.

                        Luckily I still have some LP’s to throw

                        Torbay Freecycle Moderator

                        > them are particularly redundant and non-informative, but hey, they were
                        > sent, so the spec says they'll be received.

                        The only important one would be the warning about the zombies. You
                        would think that the local authorities would look after cleaning up
                        that issue!

                      • Randy Love
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 2, 2012

                          On May 1, 2012 6:14 PM, "kf4lvz" <agcme2002@...> wrote:

                          > In the case of this particular "ALL" message it is a very useless message transmitted I think once per day every day. Obviously at once per day it's not really critical but it catches me off guard when I see the green box but it ends up being this useless "ALL" (I won't directly call out the station sending but if you saw the packet you would agree it's not serving any real purpose).

                          So, why not contact the ALL message originator and offer to make the message more appropriate? Maybe it was something they set when they first set up the program and have forgot its doing that?

                          My point here is your local network can only be improved by you and other local users. Sometimes you have to accept that they won't change, but until you attempt to make a change, don't decide just to ignore it, because someone else might thing that bad idea is a good one and just add to the congestion.

                          It ain't easy trying to improve your local network, but worth the effort when it does cause an improvement.

                          WF5X

                        • Don
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 2, 2012

                            Lynn,

                            Well this morning it is working.  I made no changes since yesterday.

                            APRSIS32 was not reading the data from the GPS.

                            Thanks for your help and a great product.

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 2, 2012
                                It's not local, it's an IS originated message.