Ignore messages directed to "ALL"

  • kf4lvz
    Message 1 of 21 , May 1, 2012
      What config settings do I need to be able to ignore/block messages directed to "ALL" but not block messages directed to my station?
      Message 2 of 21 , May 1, 2012
        On 5/1/2012 2:57 PM, kf4lvz wrote:
        > What config settings do I need to be able to ignore/block messages directed to "ALL" but not block messages directed to my station?

        There is none. Per the aprs101.pdf spec (Page 73, 83 in the PDF):

        > The receiving station will read all messages with the Addressee field
        > set to
        > ALL, QST or CQ.

        My goal is to be 100% spec compliant and "read all messages" to me means
        to display them as opposed to ignoring them.

        The best I can offer for now is Clear / Clear CQ/All Messages. I only
        notify when receiving messages directed to you (I think), so the only
        effect of an ALL message is to highlight the message indicator green.
        Eventually, I'll be re-visiting the message handling in APRSISCE/32, but
        it's not currently near the top of the priority list.

      • kf4lvz
        Message 3 of 21 , May 1, 2012

          > On 5/1/2012 2:57 PM, kf4lvz wrote:
          > > What config settings do I need to be able to ignore/block messages directed to "ALL" but not block messages directed to my station?
          >
          > There is none. Per the aprs101.pdf spec (Page 73, 83 in the PDF):
          >
          > > The receiving station will read all messages with the Addressee field
          > > set to
          > > ALL, QST or CQ.
          >
          > My goal is to be 100% spec compliant and "read all messages" to me means
          > to display them as opposed to ignoring them.
          >
          > The best I can offer for now is Clear / Clear CQ/All Messages. I only
          > notify when receiving messages directed to you (I think), so the only
          > effect of an ALL message is to highlight the message indicator green.
          > Eventually, I'll be re-visiting the message handling in APRSISCE/32, but
          > it's not currently near the top of the priority list.

          Ok, then is there a spot in the configuration to ignore messages from a particular station? Something a little less forceful than a full-on filter in the IS filter specification?
          Message 4 of 21 , May 1, 2012
            On 5/1/2012 4:16 PM, kf4lvz wrote:
            > Ok, then is there a spot in the configuration to ignore messages from a particular station? Something a little less forceful than a full-on filter in the IS filter specification?

            Sorry, but no on that count also. You can always add a -b/whatever to
            your APRS-IS filter, but if you receive it over RF, then you'll be
            seeing it.

            You'll find me distinctly resistant to adding "ignore this"
            configurations because that's like an ostrich approach, put my head in
            the sand and pretend it isn't happening.

            I've got personal issues with the new SoundModem building that feature
            in to "ignore" packets validly received and decoded just because someone
            doesn't want to seem them on their UI-View map. Ugly, but that's
            strictly my opinion and I'm not out to change how other people operate
            their stations or displays.

            But as for me and my client, if you receive it, you'll see it. Of
            course, I've changed my mind on other things over time too.

            Message 5 of 21 , May 1, 2012

              I think most people send to ALL, because there is no easy way to message anything less (correct me if wrong) it would be nice if messages could be directed to areas, as is done on packet. For example GBR.EU for Britain EU for Europe etc

              For me it would be nice to see if I have a message, currently I have to click through them, or do a clear all first. Perhaps a colour on the message box, Currently Green for received, Yellow for pending outgoing, and Orange for both. Something that mixes in with those that alerts to having a personal message awaiting, that would alert without taking up display space on the phone users screens.

              Torbay Freecycle Moderator

              Message 6 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                Your APRS-IS filter or RF reception coverage determines the source stations from which ALL messages will be received.  If your filter covers just Great Britain, that's all you'll received.  If your filter covers more, you'll receive more ALL messages.  If you're running a full feed, you'll receive every ALL message on the planet (trust me, I know that one...).

                Personal messages are those that generate a Windows Notification box.  And they're also the FIRST messages that will be displayed when you click the Green (or orange) message pane.  If the message you see isn't directed to you (indicated by a single button at the bottom with the sender's callsign), then you're done viewing your personal messages and can safely ignore the rest for a while.

                If a new message comes in directed to your callsign, it will jump to the front of the list and be the one that is displayed when you click the green pane.  My routine of clearing accumulated messages in the morning is to click the green pane (yes, it's ALWAYS green in the morning on KJ4ERJ-AP and/or KJ4ERJ-12) and field those that are addressed to me.  When I have more time, I do the Click-Escape sequence repeatedly as I work down through the rest of the messages.  That's why sometimes my "Unsolicited Remote Support" (aka Eavesdrop) replies are sometimes delayed by hour (or days).

                The pecking order of unread message display lurking under the green/orange message pane is:

                1) TACTICAL definitions - Few and far between, but important
                2) Messages addressed to your callsign-SSID
                3) Messages addressed to your other -SSIDs (if Configure/Messages/My Messages)
                4) NWS Messages
                5) Internally generated messages (bad passcode, update available, ...)
                6) Messages addressed to any <MessageGroup> in the config file
                7) "Spec" messages (APRSIS-CE, APRSIS-32, ALL, CQ, and QST)
                8) RF-Eavesdropped messages (if Configure/Messages/RF Eavesdrop)
                9) Eavesdropped messages (if Configure/Messages/Eavesdrop)

                You'll notice that there are Clear options for 9 (Eavesdrops) 8 (Also Eavesdrops), 7 (CQ/All), 6 (Group), 3 (My), and 4 (NWS).  For the others, you're expected to click through them instead of using a bulk clear option.  Oh, and if you're curious about how many messages are pending in the clearable categories, just drop down the Clear menu and look at the parenthetical (number).

                PS.  Ok, how many of you are curious about the "APRSIS-CE" and "APRSIS-32" "Spec" addresses?  Did you know the default group configuration in a D710 includes "KWD"?  See http://tinyurl.com/cw75tpo

                Message 7 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                  In the case of this particular "ALL" message it is a very useless message transmitted I think once per day every day. Obviously at once per day it's not really critical but it catches me off guard when I see the green box but it ends up being this useless "ALL" (I won't directly call out the station sending but if you saw the packet you would agree it's not serving any real purpose).

                  I had wanted to avoid the buddy list filter since that's limited space and it blocks everything instead of just the message but looks like it's the only way.

                  > On 5/1/2012 4:16 PM, kf4lvz wrote:
                  > > Ok, then is there a spot in the configuration to ignore messages from a particular station? Something a little less forceful than a full-on filter in the IS filter specification?
                  >
                  > Sorry, but no on that count also. You can always add a -b/whatever to
                  > your APRS-IS filter, but if you receive it over RF, then you'll be
                  > seeing it.
                  >
                  > You'll find me distinctly resistant to adding "ignore this"
                  > configurations because that's like an ostrich approach, put my head in
                  > the sand and pretend it isn't happening.
                  >
                  > I've got personal issues with the new SoundModem building that feature
                  > in to "ignore" packets validly received and decoded just because someone
                  > doesn't want to seem them on their UI-View map. Ugly, but that's
                  > strictly my opinion and I'm not out to change how other people operate
                  > their stations or displays.
                  >
                  > But as for me and my client, if you receive it, you'll see it. Of
                  > course, I've changed my mind on other things over time too.

                • Don
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 1, 2012

                    I have to redo my laptop and I copied the aprsis folder from my old hard drive to the new one.  I install Delorme sub to serial and setup the port for com4 and 4800 baud like my old setup , but I can’t get aprsis32 to receive the data from the GPS.

                    This is a windows 7 laptop and I had no issues with the old setup.

                    Any ideas?

                    Thanks,

                    73, Don

                    Message 9 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                      You don't have to identify which one it is, but it's pretty easy to see
                      the "ALL" messages that make it through APRS-IS. If you ask me, most of
                      them are particularly redundant and non-informative, but hey, they were
                      sent, so the spec says they'll be received.

                      Now, if the APRS-IS servers would have a filter on the message recipient
                      field, we'd be able to put something like -g/ALL and never see any of
                      them again. But then, if we had that filter, I'd be tempted to have
                      APRSISCE/32 automatically do g/APRSIS-CE/APRSIS-32 so that the
                      application-targeted group messages would actually work and hit EVERY
                      APRS-IS connected instance on the planet! (Don't get too excited yet,
                      however. There is no g/ filter at this time in the core APRS-IS servers.)

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                        None with that basic information.

                        If you use a terminal emulator to open COM4, do you see NMEA strings?

                        If you have the APRSIS32 NMEA port configured appropriately and enable the GPS, what does the APRS-IS OK pane say when it says NMEA?  Does it ever get to NMEA OK?

                        Bring up Enables / View Logs / NMEA and enable it, what do you see?

                        Are there any other ports configured in APRSIS32 that might be flagged as passing GPS/NMEA data through?

                        (Ok, so that's a lot of questions from someone that doesn't have any ideas, huh?)

                        Message 11 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                          Oops. Meant to include http://aprs.fi/?c=message&call=ALL&limit=50

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                            On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                            > If you ask me, most of
                            > them are particularly redundant and non-informative, but hey, they were
                            > sent, so the spec says they'll be received.

                            The only important one would be the warning about the zombies. You
                            would think that the local authorities would look after cleaning up
                            that issue!

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 1, 2012

                                I am using the very same files from the install that was working perfectly.   It does say Aprs-is OK and NMEA – OK and I can see the NMEA string with telnet.

                                There are no other ports other than NMEA.   I have double check the ports and both softwares are on Com4 with a baud of 4800.    I can view the data coming from the GPS.

                                Message 15 of 21 , May 1, 2012

                                  No it is a window 7 32 bit.    I had it running yesterday, but I reinstalled the OS.   I copied the aprsis folder from the old hard drive to the new one. Install delorme’s serial port emulator and set it up with the same settings as before.    But now it does not show on APRSIS like it did with the old install.

                                  I am pulling my hair out  lol

                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 1, 2012
                                    I'm not sure what you mean "is not showing on APRSIS"....  The GPS on the APRSIS32 screen, or your station's position on aprs.fi or equivalent?

                                    What did you see in an enabled NMEA trace log?

                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 1, 2012

                                      The trouble with that is the local authorities will clean up everything but that.

                                      Luckily I still have some LP’s to throw

                                      Torbay Freecycle Moderator

                                      > them are particularly redundant and non-informative, but hey, they were
                                      > sent, so the spec says they'll be received.

                                      The only important one would be the warning about the zombies. You
                                      would think that the local authorities would look after cleaning up
                                      that issue!

                                    • Randy Love
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 2, 2012

                                        On May 1, 2012 6:14 PM, "kf4lvz" <agcme2002@...> wrote:

                                        > In the case of this particular "ALL" message it is a very useless message transmitted I think once per day every day. Obviously at once per day it's not really critical but it catches me off guard when I see the green box but it ends up being this useless "ALL" (I won't directly call out the station sending but if you saw the packet you would agree it's not serving any real purpose).

                                        So, why not contact the ALL message originator and offer to make the message more appropriate? Maybe it was something they set when they first set up the program and have forgot its doing that?

                                        My point here is your local network can only be improved by you and other local users. Sometimes you have to accept that they won't change, but until you attempt to make a change, don't decide just to ignore it, because someone else might thing that bad idea is a good one and just add to the congestion.

                                        It ain't easy trying to improve your local network, but worth the effort when it does cause an improvement.

                                        WF5X

                                      • Don
                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 2, 2012

                                          Lynn,

                                          Well this morning it is working.  I made no changes since yesterday.

                                          APRSIS32 was not reading the data from the GPS.

                                          Thanks for your help and a great product.

                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 2, 2012
                                              It's not local, it's an IS originated message.