Re: [aprsisce] Overlays Revisited

    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2012
      Just select the checked .POS file and tell it not to remove it from the
      list (at least I think it works that way). It should remove all objects
      from that file from the map. Overlays will not be timing out, if you
      load them, they'll stay until you disable them.

      There may be a bug in the current *.POS implementation that allows the
      objects to time out, but that will be fixed while finalizing the GPX
      overlay support.

      On 5/1/2012 11:42 AM, Rick wrote:
      > When do overlays expire, (the .pos file not .gpx)?
      > Is there a timed setting or is there a kill switch.
      > A timed setting would be nice, like the Buddy station setting.
      >
      > Thank You
      > Rick

    • Rick
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2012

        > Just select the checked .POS file and tell it not to remove it from the
        > list (at least I think it works that way). It should remove all objects
        > from that file from the map. Overlays will not be timing out, if you
        > load them, they'll stay until you disable them.
        I don't see a place to click on it to make those choices, when I click on overlays it says add overlay or add gpx.
        I use the .pos file to place a location on the screen for driving direction, then I want it to go away.

        Thanks for your help...

        > There may be a bug in the current *.POS implementation that allows the
        > objects to time out, but that will be fixed while finalizing the GPX
        > overlay support.
        I would like to see a timer for those files if possible.

        Thanks
        Rick

        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2012
          Oops, I busted the visibility to the loaded .POS file when I added the
          GPX option. It'll be fixed in a future revision.

          May I ask what use a timer is on an overlay file? Normally you want to
          load these and have the contents visible until you don't want to see it
          any more (for instance, the event or special interest is over). I'm
          struggling to understand the use case for a timed disappearance of an
          overlay addition to the map.

          On 5/1/2012 7:44 PM, Rick wrote:

          > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)"<kj4erj@...> wrote:
          >> Just select the checked .POS file and tell it not to remove it from the
          >> list (at least I think it works that way). It should remove all objects
          >> from that file from the map. Overlays will not be timing out, if you
          >> load them, they'll stay until you disable them.
          > I don't see a place to click on it to make those choices, when I click on overlays it says add overlay or add gpx.
          > I use the .pos file to place a location on the screen for driving direction, then I want it to go away.
          >
          > Thanks for your help...
          >> There may be a bug in the current *.POS implementation that allows the
          >> objects to time out, but that will be fixed while finalizing the GPX
          >> overlay support.
          > I would like to see a timer for those files if possible.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Rick

          >> On 5/1/2012 11:42 AM, Rick wrote:
          >>> When do overlays expire, (the .pos file not .gpx)?
          >>> Is there a timed setting or is there a kill switch.
          >>> A timed setting would be nice, like the Buddy station setting.
          >>>
          >>> Thank You
          >>> Rick

        • kd4dra
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2012
            How does it know when the event is over?
            You just kill it or restart the program, its been
            awhile since I used it so I don't remember how
            it ended before.

            Rick
            KD4DRA

            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2012
              The loaded .POS file used to appear in the Configure / Overlays menu before I borked it with the GPX option.  When I fix it,  you just uncheck the loaded .POS file (and soon to be .GPXs) and it will ask if you want to also remove it from the list or just disable it.  Disabling it makes the loaded objects disappear and unchecks it.  On a restart, checked ones are auto-loaded and displayed and unchecked ones just sit there waiting for you to select/check them to make them visible.

              In the new world, there'll be a dialog for each file that sets a bunch of parameters including the visibility state along with a Delete button that will remove the file from the available list of Overlays.

              Yes, I borked it and am not at a point in development to safely push out a fix, but it will be available soon so you can uncheck the *.POS files to make them disappear.

              On 5/1/2012 7:44 PM, Rick wrote:

              > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)"<kj4erj@...> wrote:
              >> Just select the checked .POS file and tell it not to remove it from the
              >> list (at least I think it works that way). It should remove all objects
              >> from that file from the map. Overlays will not be timing out, if you
              >> load them, they'll stay until you disable them.
              > I don't see a place to click on it to make those choices, when I click on overlays it says add overlay or add gpx.
              > I use the .pos file to place a location on the screen for driving direction, then I want it to go away.
              >
              > Thanks for your help...
              >> There may be a bug in the current *.POS implementation that allows the
              >> objects to time out, but that will be fixed while finalizing the GPX
              >> overlay support.
              > I would like to see a timer for those files if possible.
              >
              > Thanks
              > Rick

              >> On 5/1/2012 11:42 AM, Rick wrote:
              >>> When do overlays expire, (the .pos file not .gpx)?
              >>> Is there a timed setting or is there a kill switch.
              >>> A timed setting would be nice, like the Buddy station setting.
              >>>
              >>> Thank You
              >>> Rick

            • kd4dra
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2012
                I assume that I go into .XML file to stop it right.?
                Because its not giving me a choice anywhere else,
                I'll stop it and wait on the fix.

                Thanks Lynn

                Rick
                KD4DRA

                  On 5/1/2012 7:44 PM, Rick wrote:

                  > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)"<kj4erj@...> wrote:
                  >> Just select the checked .POS file and tell it not to remove it from the
                  >> list (at least I think it works that way). It should remove all objects
                  >> from that file from the map. Overlays will not be timing out, if you
                  >> load them, they'll stay until you disable them.
                  > I don't see a place to click on it to make those choices, when I click on overlays it says add overlay or add gpx.
                  > I use the .pos file to place a location on the screen for driving direction, then I want it to go away.
                  >
                  > Thanks for your help...
                  >> There may be a bug in the current *.POS implementation that allows the
                  >> objects to time out, but that will be fixed while finalizing the GPX
                  >> overlay support.
                  > I would like to see a timer for those files if possible.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Rick

                  >> On 5/1/2012 11:42 AM, Rick wrote:
                  >>> When do overlays expire, (the .pos file not .gpx)?
                  >>> Is there a timed setting or is there a kill switch.
                  >>> A timed setting would be nice, like the Buddy station setting.
                  >>>
                  >>> Thank You
                  >>> Rick

                • kd4dra
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1, 2012