Re: [aprsisce] FW: NMEA-Data for the Object, was: Password Request

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2012
      On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Steve Daniels
      <steve@...> wrote:

      > There is a valid reason to receive tracking data from a source and use
      > aprsis to send to RF/APRS-IS and I may end up doing it sometime in
      > the future. Mainly to get around the UK regs.

      Oh I have no argument that there are some valid use cases for this
      type of situation.

      I could lash up some manner of system to gather location information
      from the Carvel Upper Air Sounding Station just a few miles from my
      home, and feed the twice daily sounding balloon data onto the RF
      network here. I would find it interesting for a bit, and there are
      probably others that might find it interesting as well, but should I
      do that twice daily 365 days a year just because it can be done?

      Then there's the issue of "To What Purpose"? Are you feeding the data
      to RF just because you can? Is it to share your data with others
      around the world? If you're tracking the payload for recovery, it's
      best to listen with the proper gear direct off air. Your fixed ground
      station may lose the signal before the payload lands, and you may move
      out of range of the APRS network before getting to your landing area.
      With direct RF reception you should be able to hear your payload
      better and better as you close in on the final landing location.

      > Are you aware James that the Balloon alerts get sent to the ANSRVR
      > Balloon group with the addition of auto balloon burst alert as well.

      Yes I am aware of the capability, but it is of limited use for myself.
      I do not run an APRS client with 24/7 internet access that I carry
      with me all day. The announcements would be of limited interest to
      others in my local area to have dozens of announcements for flights
      around the world to be gated to the RF network to which I listen on a
      limited basis. I do however carry a cellular telephone about 16 hours
      a day, and email gets delivered to my hip without annoying anyone else
      but me. It's all about utilizing the technology available in the most
      effective manner.

      Just because we can doesn't mean we have to...

      Having the capability is great, and for those that it makes sense to
      use it, have at it.