FW: NMEA-Data for the Object, was: Password Request

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2012
      Password Request

      I am not sure what you are asking unless you are wanting receive NMEA data directly from some source that is not a GPS.

      Please direct future questions about this topic to the APRSISCE/32 Forum. One advantage is the large number of people available that can provide details. Second advantage, I may not know the answer. Third advantage, I may not have time to answer.

      I am forwarding my response to the forum as well.

      Thank you!

      Fred, N7FMH

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2012
        BTW, by "Forum", Fred meant this APRSISCE Yahoo group, not the Wiki forum, although I have answered your question over there as well.

        How do objects move using GPS? How do I have to set up the settings?

        73, Ulli - DG1PI

        Only the main station moves with the GPS, not objects. If you want something else to move, split the GPS feed and run multiple APRSISCE/32 instances each for one moving station.

        Can you describe a use-case for moving an object, not the station, with a GPS feed?

        And there is a feature coming sometime called "Companion" as requested (IIRC) by Colin.  Depending on what you're after, that might meet your need.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2012
          On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

          > I am not sure what you are asking unless you are wanting receive
          > NMEA data directly from some source that is not a GPS.

          It sounds like what he is wanting to do is to take tracking data from
          another source, and convert it into APRS data to be able to inject
          either into the RF network, or the APRS-IS. The source would be
          location information from a radiosonde being flown.

          This would end up being similar to the AIS data that Hessu displays on
          aprs.fi, but if I'm right, this data would end up in the APRS realm
          instead of just on the web.

          I personally wouldn't want this data on my local RF network, I'd
          prefer having amateur radio stations on my amateur radio network.
          Injection into the APRS-IS would be less invasive, but still would
          make some extra noise.

          I am subscribed to an automatic launch notification system that sends
          an email alert when balloon flights are detected on the APRS-IS.

          There are a few callsigns/names that show up an awful lot, and I find
          it difficult to believe that these groups have the funds available to
          fly as many payloads as are being reported. It gets to the point where
          I start to ignore launch alerts due to the noise level. It's kind of
          like the boy that cried wolf scenario.

          Just be aware of the impact of your actions on the network. If it is
          of interest to you and a couple buddies, does that mean that everyone
          else in the area wants to see all the activity as well? You have to
          weigh it all out.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2012

            There is a valid reason to receive tracking data from a source and use aprsis to send to RF/APRS-IS and I may end up doing it sometime in the future. Mainly to get around the UK regs.

            I would be using a 900MHz transmitter that sent a NMEA data stream, the receiver would send that NMEA data to a laptop running APRSIS, the laptop would pretend to be the balloon. Sort of a very long cable between GPS and laptop.

            Are you aware James that the Balloon alerts get sent to the ANSRVR Balloon group with the addition of auto balloon burst alert as well.

            I would agree on the callsigns that show up frequently

            Torbay Freecycle Moderator

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 30, 2012
              On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Steve Daniels
              <steve@...> wrote:

              > There is a valid reason to receive tracking data from a source and use
              > aprsis to send to RF/APRS-IS and I may end up doing it sometime in
              > the future. Mainly to get around the UK regs.

              Oh I have no argument that there are some valid use cases for this
              type of situation.

              I could lash up some manner of system to gather location information
              from the Carvel Upper Air Sounding Station just a few miles from my
              home, and feed the twice daily sounding balloon data onto the RF
              network here. I would find it interesting for a bit, and there are
              probably others that might find it interesting as well, but should I
              do that twice daily 365 days a year just because it can be done?

              Then there's the issue of "To What Purpose"? Are you feeding the data
              to RF just because you can? Is it to share your data with others
              around the world? If you're tracking the payload for recovery, it's
              best to listen with the proper gear direct off air. Your fixed ground
              station may lose the signal before the payload lands, and you may move
              out of range of the APRS network before getting to your landing area.
              With direct RF reception you should be able to hear your payload
              better and better as you close in on the final landing location.

              > Are you aware James that the Balloon alerts get sent to the ANSRVR
              > Balloon group with the addition of auto balloon burst alert as well.

              Yes I am aware of the capability, but it is of limited use for myself.
              I do not run an APRS client with 24/7 internet access that I carry
              with me all day. The announcements would be of limited interest to
              others in my local area to have dozens of announcements for flights
              around the world to be gated to the RF network to which I listen on a
              limited basis. I do however carry a cellular telephone about 16 hours
              a day, and email gets delivered to my hip without annoying anyone else
              but me. It's all about utilizing the technology available in the most
              effective manner.

              Just because we can doesn't mean we have to...

              Having the capability is great, and for those that it makes sense to
              use it, have at it.