Re: [aprsisce] Re: APRSIS32/TT4 vehicle config

  • Rob Giuliano
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30 6:25 AM
      <<Cross posted>>

      Tom> I read somewhere in doing some research that someone suggested routing JP1
      Tom> on the TT4 to a pin on J2 so it'll ground out when connected to a computer and
      Tom> switching the mode to Bank 1. Might have to look into that... one could even wire
      Tom> up a simple small toggle switch for switch from Bank 0 to Bank 1 as a "override"
      Tom> switch.
      The first step is to have 2 sets of parameters:
      BANK 0
      { These settings for use without an external conenction - laptop, etc
        Beaconing is set inside the TT4 firmware}
      BANK 1
      { These settings for use WITH an external conenction - laptop, etc
        all internal beaconing disabled in the TT4 firmware}

      Then BNKMODE sets how bank switching is determined.  BNKMODE = 0, always uses BANK 0.  BNKMODE = 1, JP1 detremines which bamnk (of settings) is used by the TT4.

      JP1 is pin 4 of the RADIO/POWER jack of the TT4 and of course JP1 on the PCB of the TT4.
      Manual method would be to change the jumper (JP1) on the PCB each time you connect a computer to J2 (serial port).  A simple switch on the Radio/Power jack which connects PIN 4 to pin 6 through a simple switch would provide an easier method (without opening the case to change JP1.

      The automated method that I was discussing in the TT4 group was very incomplete, just brought up an idea, but it would require:
      a) Connection of J1 Pin 4 to J2 pin 9.
      b) If using a splitter for GPS/computer, you would ALSO need to provide pin 9 from J2
          to the DB9 conenctor you use for the computer, and the computer side would have to
          include a shorting wire between pin 9 and pin 5.
          NOTE:  Pin 9 was used because it is seldom used byu any rs232 device.
      Part B is key if you are using the TT4 with a GPS.

      In short, this means you would have to make up your own GPS/Computer splitter (with a wire from pin 9 of J2 to pin 9 of the computer (Male DB9 pins).  You also need to make (or modify an existing) your own cable from computer to TT4 with a wire between pin 9 and pin 5 on the TT4 end.

      If you add pin9 wire to both connectors (Computer and GPS) of the splitter you made, then you could connect a computer to either PORT A or PORT B, if you choose.  I hope this isn't confusing.

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO