Re: [aprsisce] The kenwood D72A how to link the APRSIS32

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29 9:10 AM
      On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM, David Hafner <hafner@...> wrote:

      > Compared to modern "plug-and-play" computers HAM equipment is reminiscent
      > of hardware strapping options from old 1200 TTY modems.

      If they would only go to a simple serial interface that just works
      when you plug it in, that would be nice. Just a plain old serial port
      like they "used" to have, not these stupid USB interfaces that have
      all kinds of driver issues and such!

      I spent last week upgrading firmware in Motorola Trbo HTs in our
      rental fleet. There are over 800 radios to upgrade and enable the
      Connect Plus boards in them. The use the USB port for connectivity and
      they are a PAIN to deal with. The stupid things will ignore being
      plugged in, or the driver will lock up, or a number of other issues,
      some requiring rebooting the computer.

      The old Motorola HT1000 units used to connect via plain old serial,
      and when we reprogrammed over 2000 of those for a customer we never
      had a radio not recognized, no driver lock up, and never had to reboot
      the computer. Just plug it in, write the codeplug, and disconnect.
      Simple Plug and Play, no drivers, no other silliness!

      I can connect and disconnect from my serial port whenever I like with
      no issues at all. I find it interesting that the more complex a system
      is, the more the marketing people attempt to convince you that it is
      "Simple".