RE: [aprsisce] Re: GPX file loading

    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 9, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 11 KB
    Good morning Lynn,

    I love the GPX import feature! Thank you!!!

    My largest file imported so far was 4422 points. It was from trip planning last November from Home to my daughter's in-laws place. Other than a huge number of labels covering the map it was nearly perfect.

    My second largest, 1500 points, covers the coast of NH and ME to Bar Harbor. It follows the shoreline as close as possible. I was following it to grab nautical tiles along the coast.

    For each, I built the tracks using GMAPtoGPX. One such example is attached. This file is the path of the bike path that was asked about in the last few weeks.

    I have not tried a "mixed" file. A file with waypoints and tracks or multiple track within a file.

    The ability to follow a multi-line is nice as well. I don't recall if this is new or not. I did not see a way to dis-engage the following mode.

    The ability to follow the GPX track would be nice. Since the GPX track is broken into the segments, the user needs to follow each segment rather than entire track.

    Thanks again!

  • kc2nyu
    Message 2 of 25 , Apr 9, 2012
      OK, I admit to not being sharpest knife in drawer, but I can not figure out how to use the "GPX Import Feature" . I see Auto Save GPX under enable, but can't find a menu item regarding GPX Import.

      73 Paul kc2nyu

      > Good morning Lynn,
      >

      > I love the GPX import feature! Thank you!!!
      >
      > My largest file imported so far was 4422 points. It was from trip planning
      > last November from Home to my daughter's in-laws place. Other than a huge
      > number of labels covering the map it was nearly perfect.
      >
      > My second largest, 1500 points, covers the coast of NH and ME to Bar Harbor.
      > It follows the shoreline as close as possible. I was following it to grab
      > nautical tiles along the coast.
      >
      > For each, I built the tracks using GMAPtoGPX. One such example is attached.
      > This file is the path of the bike path that was asked about in the last few
      > weeks.
      >
      > I have not tried a "mixed" file. A file with waypoints and tracks or
      > multiple track within a file.
      >
      > The ability to follow a multi-line is nice as well. I don't recall if this
      > is new or not. I did not see a way to dis-engage the following mode.
      >
      > The ability to follow the GPX track would be nice. Since the GPX track is
      > broken into the segments, the user needs to follow each segment rather than
      > entire track.
      >
      > Thanks again!
      >

      > Best regards,
      > Fred, N7FMH

    • Kim
      Message 3 of 25 , Apr 9, 2012
        Hi Paul,
        Under

        Configure>Overlays>GPX..... THat opens a previously created GPX file.

        73 Kim.

        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kc2nyu" <eckerpw@...> wrote:

        > OK, I admit to not being sharpest knife in drawer, but I can not figure out how to use the "GPX Import Feature" . I see Auto Save GPX under enable, but can't find a menu item regarding GPX Import.
        >
        > 73 Paul kc2nyu
        >
        > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Good morning Lynn,
        > >

        > > I love the GPX import feature! Thank you!!!
        > >
        > > My largest file imported so far was 4422 points. It was from trip planning
        > > last November from Home to my daughter's in-laws place. Other than a huge
        > > number of labels covering the map it was nearly perfect.
        > >
        > > My second largest, 1500 points, covers the coast of NH and ME to Bar Harbor.
        > > It follows the shoreline as close as possible. I was following it to grab
        > > nautical tiles along the coast.
        > >
        > > For each, I built the tracks using GMAPtoGPX. One such example is attached.
        > > This file is the path of the bike path that was asked about in the last few
        > > weeks.
        > >
        > > I have not tried a "mixed" file. A file with waypoints and tracks or
        > > multiple track within a file.
        > >
        > > The ability to follow a multi-line is nice as well. I don't recall if this
        > > is new or not. I did not see a way to dis-engage the following mode.
        > >
        > > The ability to follow the GPX track would be nice. Since the GPX track is
        > > broken into the segments, the user needs to follow each segment rather than
        > > entire track.
        > >
        > > Thanks again!
        > >

        > > Best regards,
        > > Fred, N7FMH

      • kc2nyu
        Message 4 of 25 , Apr 9, 2012
          OK, now I see it. I have several .gpx files, but when I open the Add Overlay window, and go to the directory where they are,it is not finding the them.
          73 Paul

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <vk2asy@...> wrote:

          > Hi Paul,
          > Under
          >
          > Configure>Overlays>GPX..... THat opens a previously created GPX file.
          >
          > 73 Kim.
          >
          > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kc2nyu" <eckerpw@> wrote:
          > >

          > > OK, I admit to not being sharpest knife in drawer, but I can not figure out how to use the "GPX Import Feature" . I see Auto Save GPX under enable, but can't find a menu item regarding GPX Import.
          > >
          > > 73 Paul kc2nyu
          > >
          > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Good morning Lynn,
          > > >

          > > > I love the GPX import feature! Thank you!!!
          > > >
          > > > My largest file imported so far was 4422 points. It was from trip planning
          > > > last November from Home to my daughter's in-laws place. Other than a huge
          > > > number of labels covering the map it was nearly perfect.
          > > >
          > > > My second largest, 1500 points, covers the coast of NH and ME to Bar Harbor.
          > > > It follows the shoreline as close as possible. I was following it to grab
          > > > nautical tiles along the coast.
          > > >
          > > > For each, I built the tracks using GMAPtoGPX. One such example is attached.
          > > > This file is the path of the bike path that was asked about in the last few
          > > > weeks.
          > > >
          > > > I have not tried a "mixed" file. A file with waypoints and tracks or
          > > > multiple track within a file.
          > > >
          > > > The ability to follow a multi-line is nice as well. I don't recall if this
          > > > is new or not. I did not see a way to dis-engage the following mode.
          > > >
          > > > The ability to follow the GPX track would be nice. Since the GPX track is
          > > > broken into the segments, the user needs to follow each segment rather than
          > > > entire track.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks again!
          > > >

          > > > Best regards,
          > > > Fred, N7FMH

        • Kim
          Message 5 of 25 , Apr 9, 2012
            You are using the Development Version? as the General Release vesion won't work!!

            Kim

            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kc2nyu" <eckerpw@...> wrote:

            > OK, now I see it. I have several .gpx files, but when I open the Add Overlay window, and go to the directory where they are,it is not finding the them.
            > 73 Paul
            >
            > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <vk2asy@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Paul,
            > > Under
            > >
            > > Configure>Overlays>GPX..... THat opens a previously created GPX file.
            > >
            > > 73 Kim.
            > >
            > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kc2nyu" <eckerpw@> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > OK, I admit to not being sharpest knife in drawer, but I can not figure out how to use the "GPX Import Feature" . I see Auto Save GPX under enable, but can't find a menu item regarding GPX Import.
            > > >
            > > > 73 Paul kc2nyu

          • kc2nyu
            Message 6 of 25 , Apr 9, 2012
              I am not using the Development Version, so that is probably the issue. I will have to fix that. thanks Kim for the timely help.

              73 Paul

              --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <vk2asy@...> wrote:

              > You are using the Development Version? as the General Release vesion won't work!!
              >
              > Kim
              >
              > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kc2nyu" <eckerpw@> wrote:
              > >
              > > OK, now I see it. I have several .gpx files, but when I open the Add Overlay window, and go to the directory where they are,it is not finding the them.
              > > 73 Paul
              > >
              > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <vk2asy@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Paul,
              > > > Under
              > > >
              > > > Configure>Overlays>GPX..... THat opens a previously created GPX file.
              > > >
              > > > 73 Kim.

            • Kim
              Message 7 of 25 , Apr 9, 2012
                Paul,

                The wiki has the details of how to modify the xml file to create make it into the development version.. Lynn alway reminds people that it does come with potentila issues, that you need to be aware of.. ie it may not work after upgrade!! but the number of time this has happened is very low...

                Message 8 of 25 , Apr 9, 2012
                  It is only in the latest development version
                  (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version) and is Configure /
                  Overlays / Add GPX File... Most of the exciting stuff discussed on this
                  list is new development features.

                  Message 9 of 25 , Apr 9, 2012
                    Then their extension is probably not ".GPX". Change the file type
                    dropdown (different places in the standard file open dialog for
                    different versions of Windoze) to "All Files" and see if they show up.

                    On 4/9/2012 9:33 PM, kc2nyu wrote:
                    > OK, now I see it. I have several .gpx files, but when I open the Add Overlay window, and go to the directory where they are,it is not finding the them.
                    > 73 Paul
                    >
                    > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Kim"<vk2asy@...> wrote:
                    >> Hi Paul,
                    >> Under
                    >>
                    >> Configure>Overlays>GPX..... THat opens a previously created GPX file.
                    >>
                    >> 73 Kim.
                    >>
                    >> --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "kc2nyu"<eckerpw@> wrote:
                    >>>

                    >>> OK, I admit to not being sharpest knife in drawer, but I can not figure out how to use the "GPX Import Feature" . I see Auto Save GPX under enable, but can't find a menu item regarding GPX Import.
                    >>>
                    >>> 73 Paul kc2nyu

                  • kc2nyu
                    Message 10 of 25 , Apr 10, 2012
                      Thanks Kim & Lynn- got the development version up and running and have successfully uploaded GPX files. Really neat feature.
                      - Question: how do you remove the GPX file overlay, saw a question on this a few days ago but couldn't find reply.

                      73 Paul KC2NYU

                      Message 11 of 25 , Apr 10, 2012
                        Currently, it requires a restart to get rid of the GPX-created objects.
                        And if you're using a Configure / Save Posits / Save Filter, you might
                        want to add a -o/GPX*, although IIRC, that's no longer necessary in the
                        latest dev build, but then again, I might not have actually Dev:
                        released the version that explicitly doesn't save the GPX-loaded posits.

                        Yeah, right now, they're non-trivial to get rid of, but of course Clear
                        / Clear Stations should do the trick unless you've got one of those
                        objects centered somewhere. Kind of like using a jack hammer to open a
                        sardine can, but it'd work!

                        Message 12 of 25 , Apr 10, 2012
                          And that was generated by GMAPtoGPX.