RE: [aprsisce] What phone

  • David Shrum
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
      I use a HTC Touch Pro and it works well for me. Couldn't give you an answer
      on the battery because whenever I use it mobile I always have it 'plugged
      in' to external power so my phone wouldn't go to sleep, I guess I could
      change that setting but chose not to, the only thing I have a small issue
      with is, not the program, my phone generates a fair amount of heat running
      the GPS and the Cellular at the same time so I try and place my in front of
      one of the vents on my vehicle when I'm using it, especially in warm
      weather.

      Dave N8PU

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
        I developed APRSISCE for an AT&T Tilt (HTC TyTN II) and still use it on
        that phone. I now have an extended battery on the phone and can get 3-4
        hours tops with live tracking and GPS active (about a 70 mile range of
        monitored space). My phone also heats up quite substantially with all
        of the radios active (I keep WiFi active on trips for Navizon mapping),
        so I also arrange to have it in front of an A/C duct.

        When I turn the GPS off to simply monitor APRS-IS, I can extend the
        (extended) battery life to 8 hours or so of the same 70 mile range
        around Central Florida. Activity on the APRS-IS network affects battery
        life as you would expect. I tried monitoring 1000 miles or so on
        battery one time (3G), but it really ate into the battery.

        When I go mobile on my bicycle or hiking, I have run 7.2v NiMH battery
        pack through a 5v regulator and feed external power to the phone just to
        keep it running. With 2 packs and the phone's internal battery, I've
        gone well over 12 hours of full tracking with capacity to spare.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

        David Shrum wrote:
        > I use a HTC Touch Pro and it works well for me. Couldn't give you an answer
        > on the battery because whenever I use it mobile I always have it 'plugged
        > in' to external power so my phone wouldn't go to sleep, I guess I could
        > change that setting but chose not to, the only thing I have a small issue
        > with is, not the program, my phone generates a fair amount of heat running
        > the GPS and the Cellular at the same time so I try and place my in front of
        > one of the vents on my vehicle when I'm using it, especially in warm
        > weather.
        >
        > Dave N8PU

      • g4ilo
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
          Is there anything specific besides Windows Mobile and GPS that a phone would need to have to run this? Would it run on an HP iPAQ like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Voice-Messenger-Organiser-Windows-Mobile/dp/B001NPE8LS/

          Julian, G4ILO

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
            I didn't have time to study the link you sent, but you'd also want to
            have an unlimited Internet service on the phone. The GPS must
            (currently) be supported by the Windows Mobile GPSapi. The upcoming
            release will be able to do NMEA GPS via direct or Bluetooth serial port.

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

            g4ilo wrote:
            > Is there anything specific besides Windows Mobile and GPS that a phone would need to have to run this? Would it run on an HP iPAQ like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Voice-Messenger-Organiser-Windows-Mobile/dp/B001NPE8LS/
            >
            > Julian, G4ILO
            >
            > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I developed APRSISCE for an AT&T Tilt (HTC TyTN II) and still use it on
            >> that phone.

          • g4ilo
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
              Thanks. I checked on that and "unlimited" over here is subject to a fair usage restriction of 750MB / month. Would that be a problem?

              I've found an HTC T3232 Touch 3G which looks OK. So I might go for that instead.

              Julian, G4ILO

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
                How much data you use is subject to the APRS activity in your area, the
                range that you configure, and how long you keep the client connected
                (mine is 24x7). If you double-click the screen part that normally says
                "APRS OK", it will give you the packets and bytes sent and received
                since that instance of the client was started.

                A client on my desktop that has been running since 1/1 7:46 (1 day 16
                hours) says 8,663,362 bytes total with a 200 mile range.

                Another client running an unfiltered full feed that has been running for
                since 12/31 at 16:26 (2 days 4.5 hours) says 490,145,574 bytes.

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - As always, YMMV!