Re: [aprsisce] TEXT Port

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
      Fred Hillhouse wrote:
      > AGWPE and APRSIS32 apparently already does the same thing but uses
      > TCIP. My hopes in the future is to do the same thing via TCIP since
      > you already have that interface running. I just have to learn how.

      AGW uses a binary transfer protocol, so if you attempt to monitor what's
      going on in there, expect to see something that looks like a KISS packet
      monitored on a terminal emulator, but it's not KISS, so don't attempt to
      decode any AX.25 headers from within it.

      > The ultimate goal for me is to emulate the D710 capabilities but with
      > my FT-857D and APRSIS32 and some piece of custom FT-857D control
      > software. The separate piece of control software would read
      > the FT-857D frequency and send it as a packet to APRSIS32 for
      > beaconing. Likewise APRSIS32 might send received frequencies back.
      > These frequencies could be those received as objects or those received
      > from Kenwood radios.

      With the right custom FT-857D control software translating between the
      FT-857D and APRS packets, you should be able to do all of this as soon
      as I support downstream APRS-IS connections via TCP/IP. TCP/IP (as you
      probably already know) supports local as well as remote connections and
      it is definitely the connection of choice (at least my choice) as
      opposed to some sort of loop-back virtual serial port.

      Watch for the feature to come and start brushing up on your APRS packet
      parsing (I'll be sending the whole packet, not just the frequency) and
      work out the controls for the FT-857D from manual input if you'd like to
      get a start on it.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

      PS. To get a feed of packets similar to what will come out of
      APRSISCE/32, do the following:

      telnet rotate.aprs.net 10152

      user NOCALL pass -1

      <Here comes the data! LOTS of data!>

      Ctrl-] (yes, Control close square bracket) to get a telnet prompt.

      quit<cr>
      to get out