Re: [aprsisce] icon Digi (symbol 35)

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
      I don't know what "maps" aren't showing it, but my APRSIS32 instance is (see below) as well as http://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FN9SZV&timerange=3600

      However, your raw packets (http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=N9SZV) show that you've also been running UI-View under the same N9SZV callsign.  It is recommended to give every APRS-capable device and software instance its own unique -SSID to aid in debugging and reducing confusion.

      Also, the echolink object you're transmitting from UI-View is using a fixed, but not 111111z timestamp causing it to appear as a delayed duplicate to aprs.fi's timestamp-based detection logic.

      On 4/2/2012 6:14 PM, Ron N9SZV wrote:
      I changed the symbol over to the Digi but the icon on the maps stays the house what am I missing? Have reboot the program,,,

      Ron N9SZV

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
          aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Ron N9SZV
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
        The map on my screen has not changed showing as a house...I see it showing as a digi icon on your links... By the way just got a update from Scott N1VG my T3-135 is shipping today!!

        Ron N9SZV

        > I don't know what "maps" aren't showing it, but my APRSIS32 instance is
        > (see below) as well as http://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FN9SZV&timerange=3600
        >
        > However, your raw packets (http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=N9SZV) show that
        > you've also been running UI-View under the same N9SZV callsign. It is
        > recommended to give every APRS-capable device and software instance its
        > own unique -SSID to aid in debugging and reducing confusion.
        >
        > Also, the echolink object you're transmitting from UI-View is using a
        > fixed, but not 111111z timestamp causing it to appear as a delayed
        > duplicate to aprs.fi's timestamp-based detection logic.

        > On 4/2/2012 6:14 PM, Ron N9SZV wrote:
        > > I changed the symbol over to the Digi but the icon on the maps stays the house what am I missing? Have reboot the program,,,
        > >
        > > Ron N9SZV

      • Randy Love
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
          If you have multiple icons at the same location, the symbol that you will see on top of all the other symbols is for the station that is last alphabetically at that location. Remember, APRSISCE thinks that your callsign for that instance is ME, so ME is before N9SZV-# alphabetically, so the N9SZV-# from UI-View will show up over your digi icon in APRSISCE.

          To see what I'm saying, click on where your house is, and you will see a list of callsign pop up. The symbol for the callsign at the end of the list is the one that you are seeing, not the one for ME at that same location.

          Randy
          WF5X

          On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Ron N9SZV <n9szv@...> wrote:

          The map on my screen has not changed showing as a house...I see it showing as a digi icon on your links... By the way just got a update from Scott N1VG my T3-135 is shipping today!!

          Ron N9SZV

          > I don't know what "maps" aren't showing it, but my APRSIS32 instance is
          > (see below) as well as http://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FN9SZV&timerange=3600
          >
          > However, your raw packets (http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=N9SZV) show that
          > you've also been running UI-View under the same N9SZV callsign. It is
          > recommended to give every APRS-capable device and software instance its
          > own unique -SSID to aid in debugging and reducing confusion.
          >
          > Also, the echolink object you're transmitting from UI-View is using a
          > fixed, but not 111111z timestamp causing it to appear as a delayed
          > duplicate to aprs.fi's timestamp-based detection logic.

          > On 4/2/2012 6:14 PM, Ron N9SZV wrote:
          > > I changed the symbol over to the Digi but the icon on the maps stays the house what am I missing? Have reboot the program,,,
          > >
          > > Ron N9SZV

        • Bob Bruninga
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
            Hummh...

            I would have expected the top SYMBOL to be the most recent one heard. APRS is a live system. ANything older than a minute is already dated info, and it would astonish me significantly to have a 3 hour old symbol on top and blocking a symbol just received...

            Bob, WB4APR

            > If you have multiple icons at the same location, the
            > symbol that you will see on top of all the other
            > symbols is for the station that is last
            > alphabetically at that location. Remember, APRSISCE
            > thinks that your callsign for that instance is ME,
            > so ME is before N9SZV-# alphabetically, so the
            > N9SZV-# from UI-View will show up over your digi
            > icon in APRSISCE.
            > To see what I'm saying, click on where your house
            > is, and you will see a list of callsign pop up. The
            > symbol for the callsign at the end of the list is
            > the one that you are seeing, not the one for ME at
            > that same location.
            > Randy
            > WF5X
            >
            > On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Ron N9SZV
            > <n9szv@...> wrote:
            >

            > The map on my screen has not changed showing as a
            > house...I see it showing as a digi icon on your
            > links... By the way just got a update from Scott
            > N1VG my T3-135 is shipping today!!
            >
            > Ron N9SZV
            >
            > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W
            > Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I don't know what "maps" aren't showing it, but
            > my APRSIS32 instance is
            > > (see below) as well as
            > http://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FN9SZV&timerange=3600
            > >
            > > However, your raw packets
            > (http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=N9SZV) show that
            > > you've also been running UI-View under the same
            > N9SZV callsign. It is
            > > recommended to give every APRS-capable device
            > and software instance its
            > > own unique -SSID to aid in debugging and
            > reducing confusion.
            > >
            > > Also, the echolink object you're transmitting
            > from UI-View is using a
            > > fixed, but not 111111z timestamp causing it to
            > appear as a delayed
            > > duplicate to aprs.fi's timestamp-based detection
            > logic.
            > >
            > > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for
            > Windows Mobile and Win32
            > >

            > > On 4/2/2012 6:14 PM, Ron N9SZV wrote:
            > > > I changed the symbol over to the Digi but the
            > icon on the maps stays the house what am I
            > missing? Have reboot the program,,,
            > > >
            > > > Ron N9SZV

          • Ron N9SZV
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
              It was under my labels,Nicknames,then my call sign...I forgot to change that icon...da!! thanks all

              Ron N9SZV

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
                APRSISCE/32 sorts its internal station list alphabetically and uses a
                binary search to locate a station whenever a new packet is received.
                This is necessary to handle 20,000+ stations in a list and 30
                packets/second without eating even a contemporary system alive with
                continual shuffling of a time-ordered list. Screen painting is done by
                traversing this alpha-sorted list, hence the alphabetical ordering of
                stacked station icons.

                Until and unless I implement some sort of efficiently updatable data
                structure to order by most recently received packet age, this is the way
                it will be. At least the station labels distribute themselves around
                the stack as long as there's empty space available, unlike some other
                APRS clients which stack the labels along with the symbols.

                Anyone have any idea how UI-View handled stacked stations?

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
                  So, may I ask why you're opting to nickname override your own ME
                  symbol? That's why nickname components are individually selectable, so
                  you don't have to lock them all into your local preference.

                • Ron N9SZV
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
                    I guess because the option is there? LOL I really don't know...

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
                      Understood. I actually added the option so that event coordinators
                      could override symbols and such for APRS participants that arrive
                      without the ability to reconfigure their stations. That way the central
                      map can show whatever is sensible regardless of what the stations are
                      actually transmitting.

                      I just never figured that the ME nickname might be used in that
                      fashion! Chalk another confusing feature up to the FAQ list.

                    • Keith VE7GDH
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 4, 2012
                        Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

                        > Anyone have any idea how UI-View handled stacked stations?

                        If they are all at the same location, they will be stacked on the
                        screen. The most recently heard station will be on top. Double
                        clicking on a single station brings up the station details. When
                        there are multiple stations stacked at the same location, double
                        clicking on the stack will bring up a list of those stations in a
                        pop-up window. The user then selects the desired station from
                        the list to bring up the details. When there are more than five
                        stations stacked, the window will have a scroll bar.

                        The user can also right-click on a station and select certain actions.
                        When there are multiple stations stacked in one location, right-clicking
                        will bring up a list of those stations as above. Selecting the desired
                        station will bring up the usual right click options that you would see
                        when right-clicking on a non-stacked station.

                        FYI, as well as there being standard right click options, the user can
                        add as many "right click URLs" as they desire... e.g. to look up a
                        station on findu.com or aprs.fi, or the raw data on either one of them,
                        or a QRZ lookup, or a RAC database lookup for Canadian callsigns
                        and so on. I even have the APRS101.pdf file in my right click options.
                        It's just a fast and easy way to get it up on the screen without having
                        to go somewhere else to grab it.

                        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                        --
                        www.ui-view.org