echolink object

  • Don P
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2012
      What is the best way to create an echolink object for my RF echolink node?
    • apenadragon
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2012
        Try goggling "fix 14439" or "APRS local info" should take you to a page by WB4APR that can assist you.

        Alternatively send a message to W2CXM-1 "?el" and it should que up a local echolink object in my area.

        Adam
        KC2ANT

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2012
          Hi, Adam, and thanks for the response. I believe that I worded my post wrong. I need to know how to create an echolink object in aprsis32.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2012
            See http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:configure-objects

            and http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/createobject

            Pan and zoom the map to the object location and select Configure / Objects / Create and confirm the screen center (see PS).

            You can probably leave the group blank,
            click the X to change the symbol,
            the box beside the X is the object name (EL-nnnnn most likely)
            Click PHG to enter the components
            Add the remainder of the frequency information to the Cmnt field
            Don't check "Item" as some platforms don't display these
            Select 111111z as EchoLinks are probably permanent.
            Interval, Vias, and RF Path as appropriate.

            Accept and the object will be going out.

            PS.  You can also start the whole process with a right click at the object location and select "Create Object Here" from the coordinate cascading menu.

            On 4/3/2012 8:53 AM, Don P wrote:
            Hi, Adam, and thanks for the response. I believe that I worded my post wrong. I need to know how to create an echolink object in aprsis32.

            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "apenadragon" <kc2ant@...> wrote:

            Try goggling "fix 14439" or "APRS local info" should take you to a page by WB4APR that can assist you.

            Alternatively send a message to W2CXM-1 "?el" and it should que up a local echolink object in my area.

            Adam
            KC2ANT

            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Don P" <w9jun@> wrote:

            What is the best way to create an echolink object for my RF echolink node?

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
                aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2012
              BTW, here's the EchoLink object I send out on behalf of our local EchoLink link:

              The symbol is an E overlay (69 in the spin box) on the 0 (zero) symbol (48 in the spin box).  I don't include PHG information because I don't know the geometry of the actual station.  However I do direct the RF path exclusively through the digipeater that is located near the node.  Said digipeater is at our NWS office and cannot directly transmit the object, lest anyone complain about the airtime of this object.

              And the XML view of the same object, although you shouldn't need to edit this unless you want to play with ambiguity (Precision -1 through -4) or !DAO! enhanced precision (1 or 2).

              <Object Name="EL-400494">
              <Group>EchoLinks</Group>
              <Comment>146.460MHz T107 R16m +W9PQ-L Melbourne, FL,</Comment>
              <Table>E</Table>
              <Symbol>0</Symbol>
              <Latitude>28.143000</Latitude>
              <Longitude>-80.696333</Longitude>
              <Compressed>0</Compressed>
              <Precision>0</Precision>
              <Item>0</Item>
              <HHMMSS>0</HHMMSS>
              <Permanent>0</Permanent>
              <Interval>15</Interval>
              <Kill>0</Kill>
              <KillXmitCount>0</KillXmitCount>
              <Enabled>1</Enabled>
              <ISEnabled>0</ISEnabled>
              <RFEnabled>1</RFEnabled>
              <RFPath>WX4MLB-3</RFPath>
              <LastTransmit>2012-04-03T05:45:23</LastTransmit>
              <Weather>0</Weather>
              <WeatherPath></WeatherPath>
              <LastWeather>0000-00-00T00:00:00</LastWeather>
              </Object>

              On 4/3/2012 8:53 AM, Don P wrote:
[...]

            • Bob Bruninga
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2012
                > What is the best way to create an echolink object
                > for my RF echolink node?

                THe best, and only recommended way for the benefit of the local network is to contact the owner of the local digipeater and have him add your EL node as an object originated *at* his digi usaing a DIRECT path.

                This is optimum, because only the digi can hear *everyrthing* and so only the DIGI can inject the object during a silent time without colliding with anyone else's packet.

                If the object is originated *anywhere else* VIA a digi, then it doubles the QRM and halves the reliabiilty of the network through potential collisions with other user packets.

                Please see http://aprs.org/localinfo.html

                Bob, WB4APR
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3, 2012
                  Bob,

                  Can you please explain something to me? If digipeaters are configured
                  to transmit digipeats without waiting for a clear channel (simultaneous
                  transmission relying on fratricide and the FM capture effect), is there
                  a different setting that causes them to hold off on beacons and other
                  locally-generated transmission until a clear channel exists?

                  This is a discrepancy in recommended practice that I've never quite
                  gotten a handle on, although I'm certainly not well versed in KPC and
                  similar hardware TNC settings and behaviors.

                  And if there's software driving a TNC as the local digipeater, how does
                  that software (or does any of that software) change settings between
                  digipeat transmissions and locally-generated beacons and objects?

                  It seems to me that if the TNC is configured to not wait for a clear
                  channel, it's going to transmit everything without waiting. And vice versa.

                  On 4/3/2012 7:51 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
                  >> What is the best way to create an echolink object
                  >> for my RF echolink node?
                  > THe best, and only recommended way for the benefit of the local network is to contact the owner of the local digipeater and have him add your EL node as an object originated *at* his digi usaing a DIRECT path.
                  >
                  > This is optimum, because only the digi can hear *everyrthing* and so only the DIGI can inject the object during a silent time without colliding with anyone else's packet.
                  >
                  > If the object is originated *anywhere else* VIA a digi, then it doubles the QRM and halves the reliabiilty of the network through potential collisions with other user packets.
                  >
                  > Please see http://aprs.org/localinfo.html
                  >
                  > Bob, WB4APR

                • Bob Bruninga
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 3, 2012
                    > Can you please explain something to me?
                    > If digipeaters are configured to transmit digipeats
                    > without waiting for a clear channel (simultaneous
                    > transmission relying on fratricide and the FM capture
                    > effect), is there a different setting that causes them
                    > to hold off on beacons and other locally-generated
                    > transmission until a clear channel exists?

                    Digipeaters wait for a clear channel just like all other TNC's. The difference is that Digipeaters wait only long enough to wait for the clear channel. ALL other TNC's wait an additional few milliseconds.

                    This is what makes digipeaters -always- get the channel first... and all other TNC's to wait until the digipeaters are finished before they try their chance.

                    We set DWAIT to 0 on all digi's in APRS so that when they do hear the channel clear, they will all digpeat the next hop of the packet at the same time.... but there is still a check for channel clear before they transmit.

                    Hope that helps

                    Bob, WB4APR

                    >This is a discrepancy in recommended practice that I've never quite
                    >gotten a handle on, although I'm certainly not well versed in KPC and
                    >similar hardware TNC settings and behaviors.
                    >
                    >And if there's software driving a TNC as the local digipeater, how does
                    >that software (or does any of that software) change settings between
                    >digipeat transmissions and locally-generated beacons and objects?
                    >
                    >It seems to me that if the TNC is configured to not wait for a clear
                    >channel, it's going to transmit everything without waiting. And vice versa.
                    >
                    >Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
                    >
                    >On 4/3/2012 7:51 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
                    >>> What is the best way to create an echolink object
                    >>> for my RF echolink node?
                    >> THe best, and only recommended way for the benefit of the local network is to contact the owner of the local digipeater and have him add your EL node as an object originated *at* his digi usaing a DIRECT path.
                    >>
                    >> This is optimum, because only the digi can hear *everyrthing* and so only the DIGI can inject the object during a silent time without colliding with anyone else's packet.
                    >>
                    >> If the object is originated *anywhere else* VIA a digi, then it doubles the QRM and halves the reliabiilty of the network through potential collisions with other user packets.
                    >>
                    >> Please see http://aprs.org/localinfo.html
                    >>
                    >> Bob, WB4APR

                  • Don P
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 4, 2012
                      Thanks for all the great responses! Good and helpful info