RE: [aprsisce] TEXT Port

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
      Ah! I don't have that, yet. :) I guess I need a 30M radio now. I think you set me up to spend more money! :D

      Well, when you get further along...

      Thanks!
      Fred

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
        Fred Hillhouse wrote:
        > AGWPE and APRSIS32 apparently already does the same thing but uses
        > TCIP. My hopes in the future is to do the same thing via TCIP since
        > you already have that interface running. I just have to learn how.

        AGW uses a binary transfer protocol, so if you attempt to monitor what's
        going on in there, expect to see something that looks like a KISS packet
        monitored on a terminal emulator, but it's not KISS, so don't attempt to
        decode any AX.25 headers from within it.

        > The ultimate goal for me is to emulate the D710 capabilities but with
        > my FT-857D and APRSIS32 and some piece of custom FT-857D control
        > software. The separate piece of control software would read
        > the FT-857D frequency and send it as a packet to APRSIS32 for
        > beaconing. Likewise APRSIS32 might send received frequencies back.
        > These frequencies could be those received as objects or those received
        > from Kenwood radios.

        With the right custom FT-857D control software translating between the
        FT-857D and APRS packets, you should be able to do all of this as soon
        as I support downstream APRS-IS connections via TCP/IP. TCP/IP (as you
        probably already know) supports local as well as remote connections and
        it is definitely the connection of choice (at least my choice) as
        opposed to some sort of loop-back virtual serial port.

        Watch for the feature to come and start brushing up on your APRS packet
        parsing (I'll be sending the whole packet, not just the frequency) and
        work out the controls for the FT-857D from manual input if you'd like to
        get a start on it.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

        PS. To get a feed of packets similar to what will come out of
        APRSISCE/32, do the following:

        telnet rotate.aprs.net 10152

        user NOCALL pass -1

        <Here comes the data! LOTS of data!>

        Ctrl-] (yes, Control close square bracket) to get a telnet prompt.

        quit<cr>
        to get out