Getting OSM tiles for offline use

  • Clive
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2012
      If you're wanting to use APRSIS CE/32 away from an internet connection you need to download the OSM map tiles for the area you want in advance. For example I use it running on a HP pocket PC (iPaq) in my car.
      You can use APRSIS CE/32 to to this for you using the prefetch feature but it only gets the current zoom level plus two more and I find moving the map area about  can be a bit tedious.
      To make it easier I use a program called 'OSM for APRS-Go' (APRS-Go being similar to APRSISCE but seems to have fallen by the wayside) which allows the downloading of the OSM tiles for an area at 5 different zoom levels at a go. That is you select an area at a particular zoom (in a way I find a bit simpler than APRSIS) and it'll download the tiles for that area plus all the corresponding tiles at the next 4 zoom levels, i.e. if you start at zoom 9 you'll get that area at zooms 9,10,11,12 & 13.

      The prog and instructions can be found here;

      http://www.aprsgo.com/OSM_for_APRS/

      73 de Clive, G0CHO
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2012
        Please also refer to the acceptable use policy for OSM at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy particularly the following:

        Bulk Downloading

        Bulk downloading is strongly discouraged. Do not download tiles unnecessarily.

        In particular, downloading significant areas of tiles at zoom levels 17 and higher for offline or later usage is forbidden without prior consultation with a System Administrator. These tiles are generally not available (cached) on the server in advance, and have to be rendered specifically for those requests, putting an unjustified burden on the available resources.

        To avoid having your access blocked, please discuss your requirement with system administrators either via their wiki pages or on the IRC channel prior to starting.

        At least by using APRS-Go, that'll be the app that gets blocked and not APRSISCE/32!  But the general rule of thumb is that you should not get carried away, especially at the higher zoom levels where you're unlikely to view 75% of the tiles that you download.

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2012
          Hi Lynn,
          Yes, sorry, I forgot to make that point as I'm usually only doing it for a relativly small area, i.e. for an event or somehwere I'm walking and then I only go to zoom 15 or 16.
          Obviously if you're getting the tiles for an event and several people need to use them then download only once and 'pass the memeory stick'.

          For larger areas generating your own tiles from a OSM planet file (of the appropriate region) is the way. There are sveral tools for doing this but I've only tried Mapertive. I found getting going to be a bit confusing at first but I think that's mainly not being familar with the terminology.

          Another thing to be aware of is the folder names for the OSM zoom levels. APRSISCE expects a leading zero for those below 10, i.e. '09' but OSM for APRS-GO & at least one other tool omit this leading zero from the zoom level folder name, i.e. '9'.
          This threw me for a while as I was trying to use the same OSM folder set between two applications on my pocket PC. The solution was to use a script (mortscript) to change the folder names depending on which application I choose.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2012
            I think all the other applications that use the SlippyMaps use no leading 0 for zoom levels <=9. I thought had a fix that would allow APRSISCE/32 to use the single digit levels.

            In reality, the tiles at 9 and below don't add up to many in size or number any so I have both.

            href="http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy">http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy particularly the

            href="http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tiles">http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tiles> unnecessarily.

            > > In particular, downloading significant
            areas of tiles at zoom levels
            > > 17 and higher for offline or later
            usage is *forbidden* without prior
            > > consultation with a System
            Administrator
            href="http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/System_Administrators">http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/System_Administrators>. These

            href="http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/System_Administrators">http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/System_Administrators> either via
            > > their wiki pages or on the IRC channel

            <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/IRC> prior to starting.

            > At least by using APRS-Go,
            that'll be the app that gets blocked and not
            > APRSISCE/32! But the
            general rule of thumb is that you should not get
            > carried away,
            especially at the higher zoom levels where you're unlikely
            > to view 75%
            of the tiles that you download.

            > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of
            APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

            10:08 AM, Clive wrote:

            > > If you're wanting
            to use APRSIS CE/32 away from an internet connection
            > > you need to
            download the OSM map tiles for the area you want in
            > > advance. For
            example I use it running on a HP pocket PC (iPaq) in my car.
            > > You
            can use APRSIS CE/32 to to this for you using the prefetch feature

            but it only gets the current zoom level plus two more and I find

            moving the map area about can be a bit tedious.
            > > To make it easier I
            use a program called 'OSM for APRS-Go' (APRS-Go
            > > being similar to
            APRSISCE but seems to have fallen by the wayside)
            > > which allows the
            downloading of the OSM tiles for an area at 5
            > > different zoom
            levels at a go. That is you select an area at a
            > > particular zoom
            (in a way I find a bit simpler than APRSIS) and it'll
            > > download the
            tiles for that area plus all the corresponding tiles at
            > > the next 4
            zoom levels, i.e. if you start at zoom 9 you'll get that
            > > area at
            zooms 9,10,11,12 & 13.

            > > The prog and instructions
            can be found here;

            href="http://www.aprsgo.com/OSM_for_APRS/">http://www.aprsgo.com/OSM_for_APRS/
            href="http://http://www.aprsgo.com/OSM_for_APRS/">http://http://www.aprsgo.com/OSM_for_APRS/>

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2012
              There's logic in APRSISCE/32 that's supposed to detect if single digit directories have a leading zero or not.  Any new directories it needs to create will follow what was detected but the default is to create directories WITH the leading zero as this allows pre-Vista versions of Windows to sort by name a bit better.

              If someone can devise a test of this logic, please do and let me know the results.  It'd be a matter of renaming all of your <=9 zoom directories to have no leading zero and then start up APRSISCE/32 using that tile set.  If leading zero directories re-appear, then I've got a bust.  If those zoom levels still have maps, then my logic is working correctly.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2012
                I just tried it again and it still creates a "leading 0" directory even with a single digit directory present.

> [...]

                > > you need to download the OSM map tiles for the area you want in
                > > advance. For example I use it running on a HP pocket PC (iPaq) in my car.
                > > You can use APRSIS CE/32 to to this for you using the prefetch feature
                > > but it only gets the current zoom level plus two more and I find
                > > moving the map area about can be a bit tedious.
                > > To make it easier I use a program called 'OSM for APRS-Go' (APRS-Go
                > > being similar to APRSISCE but seems to have fallen by the wayside)
                > > which allows the downloading of the OSM tiles for an area at 5
                > > different zoom levels at a go. That is you select an area at a
                > > particular zoom (in a way I find a bit simpler than APRSIS) and it'll
                > > download the tiles for that area plus all the corresponding tiles at
                > > the next 4 zoom levels, i.e. if you start at zoom 9 you'll get that
                > > area at zooms 9,10,11,12 & 13.
                > >
                > > The prog and instructions can be found here;

              • Mason, Billy (list accts)

> [...]

                    > > you need to download the OSM map tiles for the area you want in
                    > > advance. For example I use it running on a HP pocket PC (iPaq) in my car.
                    > > You can use APRSIS CE/32 to to this for you using the prefetch feature
                    > > but it only gets the current zoom level plus two more and I find
                    > > moving the map area about can be a bit tedious.
                    > > To make it easier I use a program called 'OSM for APRS-Go' (APRS-Go
                    > > being similar to APRSISCE but seems to have fallen by the wayside)
                    > > which allows the downloading of the OSM tiles for an area at 5
                    > > different zoom levels at a go. That is you select an area at a
                    > > particular zoom (in a way I find a bit simpler than APRSIS) and it'll
                    > > download the tiles for that area plus all the corresponding tiles at
                    > > the next 4 zoom levels, i.e. if you start at zoom 9 you'll get that
                    > > area at zooms 9,10,11,12 & 13.
                    > >
                    > > The prog and instructions can be found here;

                  • Colin M0XSD