TEXT Port

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
      Greetings Lynn,

      I have set up a TEXT port thinking that received raw packets might be sent
      to it. I am monitoring it with Hyper Terminal. I am not able to see any
      received packets. I do see the packets APRSIS32 generates and sends to IS
      (and I assume RF if enabled).

      Is there a way to see the received raw packets on a TEXT port?

      Thanks!

      Best regards,
      Fred NsevenFMH
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
        Short answer: Not Yet.

        Longer answer: I've learned that I mis-named the "TEXT" port type. This
        port is designed to interface with G4HYG's APRS Messenger
        (http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/cross_country_wireless).

        I've got plans to support TCP/IP listening ports so that other programs
        can monitor packets from APRSIS32 similar to those supported by
        javAPRSsrvr. APRSIS32 will eventually support down-stream APRS-IS
        connections as well, but I'm not there yet.

        The reason you saw APRSIS32-generated packets on the TEXT port is that
        they were intended to be transmitted via APRS Messenger as PSK-63 on
        30m, but APRS Messenger doesn't accept transmissions on that port just
        yet. Only received data is available from that program at this time.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
          Hi Lynn,

          I currently am using a pair of RS232 ports to transfer data between running programs.  One of the those programs being APRSIS32 and the other Hyper Terminal.

          AGWPE and APRSIS32 apparently already does the same thing but uses TCIP. My hopes in the future is to do the same thing via TCIP since you already have that interface running. I just have to learn how.

          The ultimate goal for me is to emulate the D710 capabilities but with my FT-857D and APRSIS32 and some piece of custom FT-857D control software. The separate piece of control software would read the FT-857D frequency and send it as a packet to APRSIS32 for beaconing. Likewise APRSIS32 might send received frequencies back. These frequencies could be those received as objects or those received from Kenwood radios.

          Thanks!

          Best regards,
          Fred

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
            Ah! I don't have that, yet. :) I guess I need a 30M radio now. I think you set me up to spend more money! :D

            Well, when you get further along...

            Thanks!
            Fred

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
              Fred Hillhouse wrote:
              > AGWPE and APRSIS32 apparently already does the same thing but uses
              > TCIP. My hopes in the future is to do the same thing via TCIP since
              > you already have that interface running. I just have to learn how.

              AGW uses a binary transfer protocol, so if you attempt to monitor what's
              going on in there, expect to see something that looks like a KISS packet
              monitored on a terminal emulator, but it's not KISS, so don't attempt to
              decode any AX.25 headers from within it.

              > The ultimate goal for me is to emulate the D710 capabilities but with
              > my FT-857D and APRSIS32 and some piece of custom FT-857D control
              > software. The separate piece of control software would read
              > the FT-857D frequency and send it as a packet to APRSIS32 for
              > beaconing. Likewise APRSIS32 might send received frequencies back.
              > These frequencies could be those received as objects or those received
              > from Kenwood radios.

              With the right custom FT-857D control software translating between the
              FT-857D and APRS packets, you should be able to do all of this as soon
              as I support downstream APRS-IS connections via TCP/IP. TCP/IP (as you
              probably already know) supports local as well as remote connections and
              it is definitely the connection of choice (at least my choice) as
              opposed to some sort of loop-back virtual serial port.

              Watch for the feature to come and start brushing up on your APRS packet
              parsing (I'll be sending the whole packet, not just the frequency) and
              work out the controls for the FT-857D from manual input if you'd like to
              get a start on it.

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

              PS. To get a feed of packets similar to what will come out of
              APRSISCE/32, do the following:

              telnet rotate.aprs.net 10152

              user NOCALL pass -1

              <Here comes the data! LOTS of data!>

              Ctrl-] (yes, Control close square bracket) to get a telnet prompt.

              quit<cr>
              to get out