Fwd: [bikeMS] Revisions to 2012 Route Links

  • KEITH BOYER
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 22, 2012
      Lynn,

      Is it possible to use these maps on aprsice?  If so, how is it done?

      Thanks,

      Keith

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 22, 2012
        Hi Keith,

        I clicked on the first one and it is a layered map. The under layer is Google maps with a transparent layer of the track. You can link to the track tiles but there would be nothing to reference them to.

        Maybe in the future Lynn will add tile layers so this would be practical.

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 22, 2012
          Thank you for the info.

          Keith

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 22, 2012
            Actually, if you register for the site (which was a real pain as the Google link didn't help and I ended up needing to do it the manual way), you can download a GPX or KML file of the route.  I pulled a few of those and added them to my accumulation of files that eventually I'll be able to pull in and display.

            The maps themselves, as Fred said, aren't really maps but just overlays on top of Google maps.

            PS.  And at least the Sat 50 GPX file is abusively large in the number of track points that were recorded!  Approximately 7,700 track points for a 50 mile track.  When/if I get around to doing this, I'll definitely be offering to run it through a track simplifier or it'll really eat up some CPU on every screen refresh just to draw the track.  GPS-recorded stuff might do one point per second, but APRS reduces that by a factor of 60 (assuming a once/minute beacon) at a minimum!

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 22, 2012
              On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
              <kj4erj@...> wrote:

              > Actually, if you register for the site (which was a real pain as the
              > Google link didn't help and I ended up needing to do it the manual way), you
              > can download a GPX or KML file of the route.  I pulled a few of those and
              > added them to my accumulation of files that eventually I'll be able to pull
              > in and display.
              >
              > The maps themselves, as Fred said, aren't really maps but just overlays on
              > top of Google maps.

              I was going to say that too... GPX and KML would be handy to have as
              importable routes.

              > PS.  And at least the Sat 50 GPX file is abusively large in the number of
              > track points that were recorded!  Approximately 7,700 track points for a 50
              > mile track.  When/if I get around to doing this, I'll definitely be offering
              > to run it through a track simplifier or it'll really eat up some CPU on
              > every screen refresh just to draw the track.  GPS-recorded stuff might do
              > one point per second, but APRS reduces that by a factor of 60 (assuming a
              > once/minute beacon) at a minimum!

              It's only 7700 points Lynn... the straight stretches are simplified! 8)

              This serves as a good example why adding route overlays are not quite
              as simple to implement as one might think. Having the route available
              to be shared locally means just getting Lynn to support drawing the
              route over top of the map tiles. However a track such as this which
              doesn't look all that complicated still has a lot of detail, and each
              of those points needs to be processed to check to see which ones
              intersect with the window, and then plot them on screen on each screen
              refresh.

              Now, to be able to share that information over the air, you're going
              to chew up a lot of airtime with only 1200 baud available, and on a
              shared channel at that. You're going to need to reduce the complexity
              a whole lot in order to be able to share it over the RF channel.

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 22, 2012
                That is a point every 34.285 feet. I don't think that could be simplified without loosing pertinent data!

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 22, 2012
                  I ponder on things like this on occasion so for the sake of discussion: A possible solution is to add the ability to have an overlay in the map sense. There are a few tiles available that might be interesting as an overlay. WX radar is one type that immediately comes to mind. The bike path here is another for a second example.

                  Assuming tile overlays are in the future. At some point, if it was possible to create a transparent tile set with the track "burned" on to it it might be useful. One issue could be anything on the map might not be clickable. Although, I not sure that would have to be the rule. The Geocaching.com site has a tile set that updates a transparent tile with different symbols which are clickable.

                  I may now have to experiment with creating a custom tile with tracks.

                  I added a few links below for those learning a bit at this tile. The first is the base layer and the next two are overlays.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 22, 2012
                  • 1 Attachment
                  • 11 KB
                  I used maps.google.com to route the ride. Then, I passed the data to GMAPtoGPX. The output ended up being only 233 points, even that that could be simplified.

                  The following link has a place to upload a file and view the track. Although I just tried it myself and it didn't work for me.

                  You don't get the mile markers and other notes with mapping it yourself, but the price was right. :)

                  Message 9 of 10 , Mar 26, 2012
                    Hi Lynn,

                    I spent more time thinking about importing GPX data since I had some time on the road travelling between sugar houses this last weekend. Maple! Yum!

                    Initially, you could just add a user option for importing GPX data with a simple notice that too many points may have an impact on performance. Using the 7700 point file would cause an impact to most machines, while the 250 point version I created would be much less.

                    Later, a route/track simplifier could be added. A simplifier would certainly be a nice addition. The tool I am using allow me to simplify to the level I am willing to accept.

                    Thanks!

                    Best regards,
                    Fred