Re: [aprsisce] Activating Summits (WOTA and possibly SOTA) using APRS

  • Colin Catlin
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2010
      Thanks Lynn,

      I think that is the answer I was looking for although I can't say I understood everything you said on just one read through:S.
      I will study it in more depth.

      I think to qualify as a valid contact for the WOTA scheme it would have to be only Direct RF but I wouldn't want to limit my contacts to just Direct RF since I would like to see what responses I get and try to encourage more use of APRS in this part of the world.
      So just being able to Log the Contacts and see which ones qualify (and present the evidence) would do me, Julian may disagree on this point.

      On the point of viewing being easier on the Win32 version, can Logs be transferred from CE to 32 for viewing?

      73,
      Colin.

      On 01/06/2010 21:08, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh wrote:

      Yes, I'd call that an "interesting" question. And the answers are
      qualified Yes and qualified Yes.

      Can APRSISCE/32 verify that the message was sent via RF? Yes, just open
      up the appropriate RF Interface's Trace Log. If it is enabled and
      General + File is enabled, the information is tagged and sent to
      APRSISCE/32.LOG as well. To ensure that the message is ONLY sent and/or
      received via RF, you'll need to also Disable APRS-IS for the QSO.

      You'll also need to ensure that only direct RF was done, most likely, or
      are repeater contacts allowed? To do this, just set your path to
      nothing prior to doing the messaging. Hopefully I'll soon provide
      on-line configuration of the path per interface so you don't need to be
      editing the XML file.

      Finally, on this first topic, the other station will need to have made
      similar logging, pathing, and interface adjustments to ensure both ends
      were "clean".

      The APRS spec supports sending a message to "CQ" or "ALL" and all
      compliant APRS applications are supposed to display such messages. "The
      receiving station will read all messages with the Addressee field set to
      ALL, QST or CQ." from the top of page 73 (83 in the PDF) of
      aprs101.pdf. I know that APRSISCE/32 will display any and all such
      messages received, regardless of the interface over which they were
      received. If you add a t/m filter, you'll see messages like this that
      were gated to the -IS. Give it a try, there's really not that many of
      them, maybe 10-20 per day. You also get the same effect if you're
      running a full-feed client (port 10152).

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

      PS. Viewing the trace logs are certainly easier on the Win32 version,
      but I'm trying to figure out a way to make them more usable on Windows
      Mobile as well.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2010
        If you Enable / Logging / General + File and then Enable the particular
        trace that you're interested in, the data will be placed into
        APRSISCE.LOG which are automatically renamed and numbered so as to
        retain about 10 of the most recent logs. These are in My Documents, so
        they'll sync to your desktop if you have Files set up to sync. They're
        plain text files, so you can view them in your favorite text editor
        after that. The trace that they came from is included on each line in
        the merged APRSISCE.LOG file.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

        Colin Catlin wrote:

> [...]
        >> subject 'Activating Wainwrights On The Air (WOTA) summits with APRS.
        >> For our International friends (outside the UKs Lake District) this
        >> probably is of relevance to Summits On The Air (SOTA).
        >> > Since I am planning on going portable with APRS on my FT-290R and
        >> iPaq running APRSISCE I thought it would be good to activate the
        >> summits by sending a message over APRS.
        >> > Now, it would appear that there are no rules set up (for WOTA at
        >> least), so I was wondering if APRSISCE can help check for a valid
        >> activation.
        >> > I think it sensible that the message has to be sent via RF, so is
        >> it possible to detect whether a message has been sent, received and
        >> replied to (i.e. a complete QSO) on APRS entirely by RF?
        >> > Also is it possible to sedt a general CQ type message out over RF
        >> to anyone in range and stop it being 'repeated' (for want of a better

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2010

          Hi All

          Running a test tomorrow between 2 and 3pm GB time. Using APRSIS32. For those interested, if you are local to me we will be on 433.950MHz.

          But APRS will be going out as normal.

          This will be from a light aircraft.

          Lynn has already had a bit of a write up published about the software with a link to the group on yahoo.

          Steve G6UIM

        • g4ilo
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2010
            As long as you know the contact both ways is via direct RF then it would be fine as a valid contact for WOTA. In essence it is just a digital mode contact. It took me a while to come to that decision simply because that isn't how I envisaged APRS being used. I'm not sure if Bob Bruninga the inventor of APRS did either. If you read some of the stuff he wrote I think the idea was your position report would include a frequency and mode so people who were in range of you would know how to try to contact you using a normal voice mode on a separate channel. But as I say, I don't think there is anything wrong with what you are suggesting if you view APRS as just a digital mode for the duration of the exchange of messages and can be sure that the QSO took place entirely over RF (since repeater contacts aren't valid for WOTA.)

            I can understand your not wanting to limit your range to RF only since it is fun to see how well you can communicate from on top of a mountain. When I was last on Ling Fell where you were the other day I had the VX-8E and I received APRS packets from 400km away in Ireland.

            Personally I find APRS to be too useful when out portable to rely on RF for a connection. But I do find that using the APRS-IS connection takes away the fun element of using pure radio. You can't have it both ways, unfortunately.

            Julian, G4ILO

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2010
              Hi Julian,

              I agree with all your points especially that APRS shouldn't rely on RF.

              So I will continue to take my Smartphone running APRSISCE  but when I reach a summit I will switch the GPS to my radio and send a general CQ out on APRS over RF. I think I will send a message announcing my pressence on a Summit and that I would like replies particularly Direct RF ones, if anyone would like a simplex voice contact let them know the Bands and Modes I can work and once I have read through the messages I have received start calling them back to see which Bands and Modes work.

              I think that way I can have the best of both worlds.

              73,
              Colin.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2010
                I don't know if you've ever used the CQSRVR on APRS, but that would be a
                great tool in the WOTA/SOTA arsenal. Check out
                http://www.aprs-is.net/CQSrvr.aspx

                I plan to build direct support for CQSRVR notification groups into
                APRSISCE/32 similar to what I have for EMAIL-2 and WHO-IS. But for now,
                just send an APRS message to CQSRVR with a body of CQ WOTA <Your text
                here>. Whoever is currently in the group will receive what you sent and
                you are then put into the group. You can send one message every 30
                minutes and are in the group for 12 hours after your last sent message.

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Just joined the WOTA and SOTA CQSRVR groups!

                PS. The support I have planned includes the ability to "ping" a CQSRVR
                group to keep your membership alive with a pre-configured message.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3, 2010
                  Hi Lynn,

                  I have looked at CQSRVR and I think until you build direct support for CQSRVR notification and APRS for WOTA/SOTA activations get more widely used I will use the method I outlined.
                  I'm hoping that with a bit of encouragement APRS usage for WOTA/SOTA will take off. That is one of the reasons I would like APRS contacts to count for WOTA activations, so the profile of APRS can be raised.

                  73,
                  Colin.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 3, 2010
                    That would be a neat idea. I had considered it before but the need to sign in at the start of the day would be a killer for me because I would never remember.

                    The WOTA website sends a BLNWOTA bulletin message (using someone else's CGI script) whenever someone spots an activation on the website so you can receive alerts when an activation takes place. It would be nice if the activator could self-spot using APRS but that would require the WOTA server to run APRS-IS plus some custom programming to process the spot message. The shared hosting wouldn't allow it and I don't know anyone willing and able to do the programming.

                    Julian, G4ILO

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 3, 2010
                      So, if APRSISCE/32 supported generating bulletins via RF with a
                      reasonable path, you could self-spot from the top of the summit, right?
                      And the spots would also go into APRS-IS if you've got Internet up
                      there, so anyone monitoring on that side would also receive it?

                      Can you send me a few samples of the bulletins? I've got a ToDo list
                      for that as well and it would dove-tail quite nicely with the fledgling
                      object support that's in the XML right now.

                      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 4, 2010
                        You can usually see them in the Other Groups sectoin here: http://aprs.fi/bulletin/

                        Here is one just in:

                        WOTA BLNWOTA G0VWP/P LDW-184 (Lingmoor Fell) 144.325 ssb

                        The "call" it is sent from is WOTA. To get it to be received by APRSISCE I have to put b/WOTA in the filter field. For this to work for bulletins sent by individuals you would need to be able to filter on the bulletin ID and I couldn't find a way of doing that.

                        To a certain extent, if a WOTA activator is carrying APRS then the bulletin is redundant because anyone can see when they reach the summit anyway. Before I ever get to the top I've usually had a message from Colin asking where I'm going, when I expect to get there and what frequency he should listen on.

                        What I was trying to provide was a way for people to receive by APRS spots posted on the website that would otherwise only be available to other people who were looking at the website.